Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times

Advertisements

Does Skype work on new Chromebooks now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
I'm not frustrated at all. I enjoy being able to change the type of music, the volume, room lighting, etc, with my voice. I love being able to ask random questions as they occur to me and get an answer (Alexa, who played the father in "A Christmas Story"?). We have several WEMO devices and smart cameras and when we're away we can turn lights on and off, on schedule or at the touch of a button, and we can check things out via the cameras, even check on the cat while we're gone. My tablet sends out an alarm for weather emergencies which I can hear from anywhere in the vicinity of the device. My GearFit watch tells me who's calling on my cell when it's upstairs and I'm downstairs, and it tells me to get off the couch when I've been on City-Data for too long...LOL. My brother closed on a re-fi on his home in CA from our place in TN via E-docs. I love having access to an infinite number of books, movies, TV shows, etc while traveling, or just when there's nothing on broadcast TV (which is pretty much always). I like being able to order stuff, schedule deliveries, and check my front porch to see if it's arrived all remotely. So much more I can't even begin to list it all.... Love it.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I totally agree. Over the years, I have fixed the slow loading problems of many computers and laptops for friends, relatives and computer forum users by doing or telling people to do two things:

1. Run msconfig to disable startup programs

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=1868

2. Uninstall certain programs one at a time before rebooting to identify the problem program. First is the program or software that one installed before the slowing down occurred. Next is the resident antivirus program. The AV programs sometimes can be as bad the viruses themselves. If the AV program being the culprit, one has to replace it with a less problematic one.

Other fixes are to defrag, add more actual memories, freeup more hard drive space etc.

These have not worked for me. I did try msconfig. This was very clean except for Garmin software I added a few years ago. I am going to uninstall Garmin and throw the piece of junk out. I use my cellphone for navigation. Even after a recent update, I found the Garmin to be way too limited.

Every time I get a new computer, I spend hours deleted bloatware and games. I have nothing on my computer but a few programs that I need. I do have McAfee antivirus. It seems essential but also works poorly and seriously slows down online surfing.

No one should have to deal with bloatware or fiddling with their start programs. I have done multiple defrags over the years and have never seen any benefit. Nor do I see any reason I should have to clean out the hard drive. I did that with my old laptop so I would have space for new photography files. When cleared out the computer was still slow to boot up.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:37 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No.
Use a password manager.
I use (have used for 6+years) 1Password.
As I manage 567 logins, it is very much worth the money.
I do the same and have done so for about 15+ years. Still, the password manager stores all the passwords in one location (unless I back it up elsewhere - cloud, thumb drive, etc). But, then, I must update my passwords in all locations.

I realize this is part of the price of computer security, but, find it annoying that IT admins on many sites that are not particularly sensitive, require such elaborate schemes and frequent changes.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
even check on the cat while we're gone.
"No, Fluffy! Step AWAY from the tree ornaments!

NO, Fluffy!

No, no, NO!"

Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
[/url]

These have not worked for me. I did try msconfig. This was very clean except for Garmin software I added a few years ago. I am going to uninstall Garmin and throw the piece of junk out. I use my cellphone for navigation. Even after a recent update, I found the Garmin to be way too limited.

Every time I get a new computer, I spend hours deleted bloatware and games. I have nothing on my computer but a few programs that I need. I do have McAfee antivirus. It seems essential but also works poorly and seriously slows down online surfing.

No one should have to deal with bloatware or fiddling with their start programs. I have done multiple defrags over the years and have never seen any benefit. Nor do I see any reason I should have to clean out the hard drive. I did that with my old laptop so I would have space for new photography files. When cleared out the computer was still slow to boot up.
There's a program for that

Dump it. Now.

And now we know another reason why your system is slow.

I have to wonder how old this computer is. How much RAM it has. How much free space on the drives. How much unneeded junk is still on it. On and on and on...

Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
I guess my handle says it all. I've been into computers since the IBM PC-1 was introduced.

I get frustrated with junk that doesn't work like anyone else does. Been there the last couple of weeks. Got two Sonos ones and the Sonos playbar. Alexa seems to be an idiot. Ask for music by a group and get one or to songs, then nothing. Or it starts playing rap. Same with asking for sixties music. I need to take time to call them, but there's too much going on right now. The stereo capabilities are excellent for a two speaker and a playbar system. Great bass even without the sub woofer.

Added a larger SSD drive to the Windows Home Server. That was interesting. Here's the post. That was practice for the two laptops. We have larger SSD drives coming for them tomorrow. Should run smoother than the server did. Wishful thinking, right?

My smartphone is my brain. The older I get the more I use it. For reasons I won't go into my thinking process kinda sucks sometimes. I use an app called Colornote for everything I need to remember or do. Shopping list, peoples names, house stuff, how to do some things I do just often enough to forget the procedure, etc. It's always with me so I always have the info on hand.

It has contacts and phone numbers like yours does. Tons of bookmarks for information I need but might not remember, books for when I have to wait somewhere, although my Kindle is taking over that job.

I turned a hobby into a way to make a living and enjoyed it. How many people can say they love what they do to make money? Retired now, but it was a fun ride.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I guess my handle says it all. I've been into computers since the IBM PC-1 was introduced.

I get frustrated with junk that doesn't work like anyone else does. Been there the last couple of weeks. Got two Sonos ones and the Sonos playbar. Alexa seems to be an idiot. Ask for music by a group and get one or to songs, then nothing. Or it starts playing rap. Same with asking for sixties music. I need to take time to call them, but there's too much going on right now. The stereo capabilities are excellent for a two speaker and a playbar system. Great bass even without the sub woofer.

Added a larger SSD drive to the Windows Home Server. That was interesting. Here's the post. That was practice for the two laptops. We have larger SSD drives coming for them tomorrow. Should run smoother than the server did. Wishful thinking, right?

My smartphone is my brain. The older I get the more I use it. For reasons I won't go into my thinking process kinda sucks sometimes. I use an app called Colornote for everything I need to remember or do. Shopping list, peoples names, house stuff, how to do some things I do just often enough to forget the procedure, etc. It's always with me so I always have the info on hand.

It has contacts and phone numbers like yours does. Tons of bookmarks for information I need but might not remember, books for when I have to wait somewhere, although my Kindle is taking over that job.

I turned a hobby into a way to make a living and enjoyed it. How many people can say they love what they do to make money? Retired now, but it was a fun ride.
I can join you in that. I'm retired from IT and all those years I said.."hey, I'm getting paid to play with computers and create new stuff". I really enjoyed my years in IT.

I still dabble in it but for free now in gaming, no less as an addon developer.
That keeps me in the loop and still learning (LUA is the latest scripting language I learned).

Been a MAC user/Linux user since the early 90's and wouldn't ever move back to windows if you paid me.

I love new tech especially when it streamlines stuff.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your apps should update automatically. If they don't, you need to change the setting in your smart phone or tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Disagree strongly. Auto updates are a good way to exceed data limits without realizing it.
Auto updates have never caused me to exceed my data limits. Since my phone uses wifi at home, it's never going to be an issue. Even without wifi, updates do not use that much data. What did cause me to exceed my data cap was Apple CarPlay. My solution...up my monthly data allowance.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
I just got a Dell desktop and was pleasantly surprised by how little junk there was on it (well, that wasn't bundled by Msoft as part of Win10)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement