Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your apps should update automatically. If they don't, you need to change the setting in your smart phone or tablet.
Disagree strongly. Auto updates are a good way to exceed data limits without realizing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Uh-huh. And then you have one more app you have to manage and update. No thanks. I don't do apps. And I'm no technophobe, I just realize that companies want their app on your phone to promote customer engagement. Witness this blurb from Entrepreneur managzine:

If you are a small business owner and your business does not have a mobile app, you need to get one. Having a web presence alone is no longer sufficient, as online activity continues to shift to mobile. Simply put, smartphone apps have become too important a marketing tool for small business owners to do without.

Speaking of companies abusing technology in the name of customer engagement and making me hate them, I'm staying in a Hampton Inn currently. This Hampton has installed software that sends texts to their guests. Today they wanted me to rate them. I texted back, "Here's your rating: STOP TEXTING ME."
Quote:
Your apps should update automatically. If they don't, you need to change the setting in your smart phone or tablet.

Right...but in all fairness that wasn't always the case...I remember it was a nice surprise when I wasn't constantly getting notifications for updates because of having a hundred some apps...

Old 12-15-2017, 09:16 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Disagree strongly. Auto updates are a good way to exceed data limits without realizing it.
Don't you have a setting that updates only be done under wifi if you want?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Quote:
There is no reason why a tablet shouldn't have the latest OS. My iPad is three years old and apps update automatically without any issues.
Three years old isn't that far from brand new. Plenty of older devices can't (not enough storage) or shouldn't (adds 'features' which older devices don't support) get the latest updates.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Yes, I'm frustrated and I'm not even retired yet. Technology is great for the most part, but our excessive dependence on it has made our lives excessively complicated. I went to Walgreens some months back to pick up a prescription. Just as I was getting it, their computer went down. It had been a big hassle getting it to begin with, involving multiple calls, hold times, and confusion for a rather simple prescription I had been taking a long time, and I didn't want to have to deal with even more hassle, so I asked if I could pay for it with a check and just take it with me.

The pharmacist refused; she needed the computer to scan the prescription out. I was incredulous. I had a method of payment, the prescription information was on the bottle, couldn't she just write the information down on a piece of paper (as in the olden days) so I wouldn't have to come back? No; she was completely dependent on the machine. They couldn't even answer their telephone without the computer. I left, returned later to pay for the medication, and transferred my medicines to another pharmacy.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Time to move.
Look at cities with good transport options.
Public. Uber. Lyft. Taxis.
The problem is I own my house. My taxes are very low. The area costs are low. I'm able to pay the bills on my social security, which is about the minimum. I lived in an apartment out in California and absolutely hated it. Too many people, too close. I'm not thrilled with here, but for different reasons. My little house has walls which do not have neighbors on the other side, and most of all its small but its mine. And I hate cities. There are too many people and I mostly just stay home. Before he and I split, my husband and I were actively looking for a small town. I do almost all my shopping on line, especially on amazon. Whatever else, I feel comfortable in this little town where I did not with a sea of people. After almost ten years, having all those people everywhere appeals even less than it did when I moved to get away from it. And I doubt I could afford to do much of anything with the cost of larger cities. It worse if they have movie theaters close but can't afford to go. So money is a problem as would be that cities are what I've wanted to get away from for years.

I'm looking into Lyft and Uber. I'm really not interested in going out much, just a ride to the store for what I can't get online. I wouldn't need it often with the online options so functional. Uber's new signup screen says that you must allow them to see all your personal data on your phone, which isn't going to happen so I'll have to see what Lyft does.

I really hated the last few years in California, with all the cars and people and bad air, but mostly an awareness inside me which was growing that most of all I wanted some 'space' to get my real life closer to my goals.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This "problem" is more than anything due to the performance of old, slow, spinning hard disk drives, and not the operating system.

I don't buy that. If the operating system was at all efficient it would load instantly and not require a highly efficient HD or SS drive. Over time the Windows systems just seem to become more and more bloated and require a new, high performance computer system. I recently checked my Windows folder. It has reached the 40 gig level and that does not include folders such as the drivers. I could type text documents the rest of my life and never hit that 40 gig bloated file size.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM

Someone mentioned paying bills electronically. That got me thinking about my Chase online app. When the app first became available I could only deposit checks up to $1000. That did me no good when I was in Yellowstone and had a larger check to deposit. (BTW, at the time Chase had almost no branch offices in the Western US.) They eventually increased the limit and the app worked sort of OK. Then it stopped working entirely. I could not even view my account. They decided my phone was too old so they dropped the old app and the new app did not work with my phone. I was about to change to another bank, but my phone broke and I replaced it. The Chase app sort of works with the new phone. If I have more than one check to deposit, I need to deposit one and then wait for it to clear before depositing an additional check. The amounts make no difference. Considering all of the concerns about online banking you would expect a flawless app.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Get a Chromebook, all your computer problems are over!
Wrong!!!!!! Chromebook is supposed to work great for browsing the internet but that is about it. Most Windows software will not work. That would mean, no Photoshop for image editing. My printer software would not work. Even Microsoft Word does not work. I don't think Apache Open Office will load, or Blurb Booksmart, etc, etc, etc.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Someone mentioned paying bills electronically. That got me thinking about my Chase online app. When the app first became available I could only deposit checks up to $1000<>
I think there is a federal limit on banks and deposits. I use Wells Fargo and the online app works fine but I've never needed to deposit a lot. Wife uses Bank America with no problems.
My phone is set to download over wifi only automatically and ask permission to do the updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement