Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:23 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Republicans aren't going to touch Medicare, nor SS. Stop, just stop. AARP is also rabidly anti 2nd Amendment and lobbies against legal gun ownership. They are just another Dem lobbying group.
Oh really ? Please tell me more because the Speaker of the House says otherwise and so does the mandatory deficient prevention cuts....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5a390e7a3346

https://paulryan.house.gov/issues/issue/?IssueID=12227

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-tax-bill.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,355 times
They had signed me up and I hadn't sent any money. I called to cancel and of course this was during the obamacare going on and they said they were not taking cancellation at that time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, never given them a dime and don't intend on it.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:30 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
What ever happened to Pat Boone and the group he use to promote? How are they doing on senior issues like Medicare and SS?

Old 12-21-2017, 03:51 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,613 times
You may not have noticed but after being a member of AARP for awhile, I began to notice that AARP magazines are heavily focused on Hollywood and celebs. These are not people who I wish to read about. I didn't join AARP to hear more about Hollywood. I get enough of that--ad nauseum--on TV and the Internet.

Another thing I distaste about AARP is that the articles in these magazines often are subtlely ageist. You need to read the articles on an ongoing basis to see what I mean.

After a few years of putting up with both of these complaints, I ended my membership.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Constant assault of unnecessary mailings. Extending subscription to various affiliates to whom they have sold your name/address and self promotion. This bombardment is more than annoying.
I have been getting AARP junk mail for over a decade.

From looking at their junkmail it is obvious that they support one political party.

They are NOT non-political only to help the elderly.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Diehard leftists, using pure pretense (pretending to be something they are not, to advance an agenda).

A couple of years ago, I challenged myself to do some research, and find out whether this is true or not. I took a couple hours and really dug into each and every board member and top executive---their biographies and affiliations. Absolutely astounding.

Yes, the accusation is a fair one. More than fair.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:59 PM

110 posts, read 192,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My redhatter MAGA parent stopped contributing to AARP when Faux News told him that AARP supported Obama's health care plan. My parent is on Medicare/Tricare (Retired military) and wasn't even affected by the ACA.
Your parent and every other taxpayer (no matter what health insurance the have) is affected by the ACA. The ACA uses tax payer money to promote, implement, and prop up through subsidies. Always remember that nothing is every FREE no matter what any politician tells you. When a politician says "free" they really mean "tax payer funded".

Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
I dumped AARP more than 25 years ago. They don't speak for me, they only spear for the extreme left.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That's news to me. I followed the debate and never saw Tricare threatened whatsoever.
It was post debate shenanigans (early-ish 2012), so it did not get any real MSM coverage. But the military press spoke on it, such as the Navy Times print edition.

The tactic presented was to strip down and starve the Pentagons budget to make Tricare untenable, and then ACA would be lofted as available and "the" common sense option.

Pretty shady, but it was not successful.

Tricare is still likely to get squeezed though, and retirees, like your "MAGA redhat, Faux news" watching parent would be low hanging fruit to get shoved into a crappy ACA public exchange. Not holding my breath to see the AARP advocate against the ACA and for Tricare for retired vets.

The fight over squeezing military benefits | The News Tribune

Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
First of all, AARP is just another business selling the same products as other businesses do. Just like Humana or Aetna or Kaiser.

But, AARP is also different. They are left wing Democrats by political orientation. They support left wing causes.

That is why people don't like AARP.
That's odd, because all but one of the people I know who joined AARP are Republicans. I am not a Republican, and I won't join AARP for other reasons, such as their privacy policy and with whom they share the information.
I don't want them to have my information.

I do know a very healthy woman in her eighties (this time a Democrat who leans left of me, i.e. she just loves Bernie) who joined only for their insurance.

I haven't really paid much attention to the opinions or political orientation of AARP, except for a stance they took on something that I did not like it all.

I also just read that they used to be members of a right-wing organization called ALEC until they were shamed into breaking ties with it. "Tobacco firms such as Reynolds and pharmaceutical firms such as Bayer benefit directly from ALEC tort reform measures that make it harder for Americans to sue when injured by dangerous products".

I am very pro-consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement