Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 10:55 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I'm anti gun in a great respect.
And that's your right and I respect it. I would just ask for the same amount of respect for my pro gun position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 01:20 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Wow! First of all I though AARP is something for retirees. I didnt think they had anything to do with politics.

I am liberal and, politics aside, I dont like AARP because they've been pestering me with letters since I was 40. Really?
Also I dont see any value in what they do. What are the benefits?

Old 12-22-2017, 01:24 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
First of all, AARP is just another business selling the same products as other businesses do. Just like Humana or Aetna or Kaiser.

But, AARP is also different. They are left wing Democrats by political orientation. They support left wing causes.

That is why people don't like AARP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
AARP is nothing more than Democrat-agenda supporting insurance company!

Goes back to when Dietz was AARP president, was a major anti-gun proponent when a majority of AARP
members were conservative

AARP supported Obamacare passage when NO ONE knew what it included!

There are conservative alternatives to AARP. Suggest you seek themn out.
The two parties have made their positions clear. If AARP gravitates more toward the Democrats than the Republicans it's clearly because Schumer and Pelosi never threatened to cut Medicare or raise the retirement age of Social Security.

And forget about Dietz. Nobody is taking away our guns.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The two parties have made their positions clear. If AARP gravitates more toward the Democrats than the Republicans it's clearly because Schumer and Pelosi never threatened to cut Medicare or raise the retirement age of Social Security.

And forget about Dietz. Nobody is taking away our guns.
But both will have to be done. And it won't be the first time. FRA is now 67 for people born after around 1960. That's been in effect for over 30 years now.

And, while it was smoke and mirrors, ACA cut Medicare.

As far as gun control goes, living in Maryland has made me believe someone who says he wants to confiscate guns.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:48 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I had been a member for a decade before realizing they supported liberal causes. As mentioned above they sure don't promote it the way other organizations do. ...

If you don't want to take advantage of their discounts just because you are a hard core conservative who believes they are trying to take your guns well that's your loss based on stubborn ignorance.
If you do take advantage of their discount despite the AARP supporting causes you oppose and then not being up front about it, that's worse than ignorance, that's hypocrisy.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:54 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
AARP is the only strong voice in this country advocating for seniors.

I agree with most of their political positions.

I also teach a safe driving class monthly for AARP. Every senior who drives should attend one of these classes. If you do, you get a modest discount on your car insurance.

AARP is going to put plenty of heat on Congress to maintain social security and medicare. That alone, is the reason why virtually every senior should belong.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:02 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They don't fight for liberal causes because they are liberal leaning, they are just the causes that most affect their members. They are for health insurance, Medicare, Social security, which are all liberal "causes". They are an action group for those over 65, they have never hidden that.
Um, older people tend to be conservative (in general). THIS outfit are far-leftists.

Who happen to be very good at keeping that face hidden from its members (many members don't have a clue what AARP is up to.)

Old 12-22-2017, 04:40 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
AARP is going to put plenty of heat on Congress to maintain social security and medicare. That alone, is the reason why virtually every senior should belong.
At the expense of younger generations? I just can't get behind that. It's my children and potential grandchildren being affected. Both of those programs have needed serious overhaul for decades, and AARP has been fighting tough and nail for as long as I can remember.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Um, older people tend to be conservative (in general). THIS outfit are far-leftists.

Who happen to be very good at keeping that face hidden from its members (many members don't have a clue what AARP is up to.)
"Up to??" Really? I think gun owners are way paranoid. What exactly are they "up to?"

I don't worry about guns, AARP is not going to try to take your guns (maybe just your bump stocks and cop killer bullets, which is really what gun control advocates are for, common sense regulation). I do care about preserving Medicare and SS so I'm glad AARP is there.

Leftists hunt and keep guns to defend their homes too, you know.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
"Up to??" Really? I think gun owners are way paranoid. What exactly are they "up to?"

I don't worry about guns, AARP is not going to try to take your guns (maybe just your bump stocks and cop killer bullets, which is really what gun control advocates are for, common sense regulation). I do care about preserving Medicare and SS so I'm glad AARP is there.

Leftists hunt and keep guns to defend their homes too, you know.
rep- I think it's time for me to take a vacation from this subforum as it has gotten out of control w/ political posts (many are outright illogical)....glad you corrected the record there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement