Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 11:38 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times

Advertisements

And here's a list of the first 25 bills they've been lobbying for in 2016 (the most recent available). PLEASE check them out.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/lob...?id=D000023726

Looks like some things most of us on this forum are concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:43 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post Any thoughts as to why a _very_conservative_person wouldn't like AARP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Since I support most of the causes you mention Nonesuch, it's alright with me if they do too.
Funny that the AARP doesn't make it clear to paying members what the money is going to be used for, almost as if it might not be alright with many of their members.

AARP is the second biggest spender on lobbyists nationwide (NRA is #1). Not only isn't the AARP always forthcoming about their lobbying goal, the AARP even goes against the stated wishes of their membership. When the Affordable Care Act was initially passed, AARP ignored the overwhelming opposition among seniors (calls from their own members running 14-1 against Obamacare), and spent millions lobbying for it's passage.

AARP lobbied against Medigap reforms which could save seniors an average of $415 per year – but cost AARP billions in profits (In its 2014 annual financial statement, AARP reported receiving $297 million in dues, and approximately $528 million in Medigap royalties from UnitedHealth.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow;50499287[I
I'm a proudly packin' (concealed carry permitted, of course!) retired female liberal. Some guns need to be controlled, and some people need to be prevented from accessing ANY, in my opinion of course.[/i]
Subject of the thread is "Any thoughts as to why a very conservative person wouldn't like AARP?".

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-25-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-25-2017, 11:52 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
And here's a list of the first 25 bills they've been lobbying for in 2016 (the most recent available). PLEASE check them out.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/lob...?id=D000023726

Looks like some things most of us on this forum are concerned about.
I did not notice anything about controlling taxes or the National Debt crisis or nationwide Concealed Carry reciprocity.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:54 AM

Well I did say SOME things...LOL. I'm not asking them to carry ALL of my water.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Funny that the AARP doesn't make it clear to paying members what the money is going to be used for, almost as if it might not be alright with many of their members.

Subject of the thread is "Any thoughts as to why a very conservative person wouldn't like AARP?".
Yeah, I read that part. It's not necessary that every post on a thread relate directly back to the title. Many are in response to other posts, as I know you know. I'm just saying that most of what AARP lobbies for is more related to topics that benefit seniors and not specifically LIBERAL seniors. People are not just "this" or "that". We're complicated enough not to just knee-jerk support every thing someone calls liberal or conservative.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
So have we reached the forever reached point on this topic that if you like you join and if you don’t you don’t?

Old 12-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

AARP is the second biggest spender on lobbyists nationwide (NRA is #1). ....

AARP lobbied against Medigap reforms which could save seniors an average of $415 per year – but cost AARP billions in profits (In its 2014 annual financial statement, AARP reported receiving $297 million in dues, and approximately $528 million in Medigap royalties from UnitedHealth.).

Not even close...

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/

scroll down to "Top Lobbying Organizations" . AARP isn't even in the top 10. Neither is NRA. But 4 out of 10 are in healthcare industries.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So have we reached the forever reached point on this topic that if you like you join and if you don’t you don’t?
Well certainly Tuborg that's what one should do, but I am only asking that those who so vehemently put down AARP as some sort of "evil" liberal organization actually understand that they may not know half of what it's about. So many folks parrot what they hear from someone else they know or read, without actually looking into it. I'm saying "be open to learning about something, and certainly make your own choice, but base it on knowledge and not gossip and talk shows".

I'm willing to say that not everything they support or lobby for is EXACTLY what I would want, but really what is exactly what any of us want? If they are out there advocating for 25 things that I like and one or two that I don't, do I throw the baby out with the bathwater? It's like picking a spouse, or a friend. If they have one really annoying trait, but otherwise they are good people who are otherwise trying to help you out as best as they can, do you dump them, and talk bad about them? (Not you personally Tuborg, but more the "general" you out there in C_D land).

Old 12-25-2017, 12:54 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Lightbulb A very conservative person would like The Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC)

Why would I give money to the AARP when I can instead support The Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC), a conservative, nonpartisan organization for Americans 50 years of age and older?

17.4% of AARP's income comes from membership dues, while over half is derived from advertising revenue and royalty payments from the insurance and other products they push on members.

Quote:
I'm willing to say that not everything they support or lobby for is EXACTLY what I would want, but really what is exactly what any of us want? If they are out there advocating for 25 things that I like and one or two that I don't, do I throw the baby out with the bathwater? It's like picking a spouse, or a friend. If they have one really annoying trait, but otherwise they are good people who are otherwise trying to help you out as best as they can, do you dump them, and talk bad about them? (Not you personally Tuborg, but more the "general" you out there in C_D land).
A very conservative person wouldn't like AARP because much of what the AARP supports and lobbies for is exactly what a very conservative person would not want.

I would not support a spouse or a friend who pretends to have my best interests at heart, but then invests time and money in lobbying for legislation which goes against my personal beliefs, especially if I found out they were doing so because it is profitable for them.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We can drag this out for at least one or two hundred more posts. But I'm guessing this thread will be closed long before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement