Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 04:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nor does it make it false if you don't like or agree with the writer.
Touched a nerve, I guess. Shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 04:25 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you actually want to know where AARP stands on the issues, go to the source.

Or you can argue with strangers on the Internet. Your choice.
Hi there, stranger on the internet. Sometimes it’s fun to argue with posters like you. I’m losing interest in this topic, however.

I know where AARP stands. Been a member a dozen years now.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:29 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you actually want to know where AARP stands on the issues, go to the source.

Send an email "Member Services" asking for the policy recommended by the National Policy Council and any statements passed by the AARP Board of Directors in relation to your the issue of personal interest to you.

Be persistent, you will have to call/email more than once to get an answer out of AARP on anything but the most uncontroversial of policy positions.

Or you can argue with strangers on the Internet. Your choice.
Or, just never subscribe or join.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:28 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
https://amac.us/

I've been a member for nearly five years and all I can say is they did an excellent job for me when I signed up for Medicare and had to make decisions on supplement plans. Their advice was excellent.

Biggest reason I turned against AARP was their openly left wing support of ObamaCare.
They didn't support ACA because they are left wing. They supported it because they believe everyone in this country should have affordable access to health care. Many of their members are not yet 65 and able to get Medicare, and they have heard from countless members over the years who were between 55 and 64 and could not get health insurance. That is what fighting for its' members means.

If a republican plan came out to try to give health care to all, AARP would support that too, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Over 20Million Americans can not afford healthcare. We need some form of healthcare system that everyone can afford. How anyone can support the ACA does not make any sense. Do people really 'want' there to not be affordable healthcare in this nation?

Dump the ACA.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
Figured this board would probably know most about it. I was talking to my father who is 64 and he was talking about getting some AARP stuff in the mail and I asked him if he was going to ever sign up and he said no and said he doesn't like what they stand for and support. I found that a little odd given doesn't it just help out older people? He wouldn't elaborate further, which is why I am asking here. He is very socially and economically conservative, anyone have any idea why he wouldn't like AARP?
They supported aca when it was not popular. they got bashed for not listening to customers over this oc

Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i like aarp- i get a free doughnut . other than the discounts i couldn't care less about then .

Old 12-28-2017, 06:51 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,088,475 times
We have to have a counter balance. I am neither a republican nor a democrat. I like AARP. I think they do good stuff. I also think they are on the wrong side of some arguments. Do I think we should abolish the group? Nope. In fact I am a member and have my card. Do I use the discounts? Nope. Do I even read their monthly mag? Nope. So why do I send money to belong to the group if I don't use any of their benefits? I don't know. I just think that we (Retired People) need a voice. So what if many of its members are lefties.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
I just find that the benefits of membership are nor worth the money. there was a time about 25 years ago that the discounts at restaurants etc were substantial. They are not now. I get more of a discount by my AAA membership.

Yes they advocate for seniors, but mostly for seniors who need help and that’s good, but I know of other agencies that help seniors who need help who don’t also have an agenda and for whom 95% of my payment goes to helping.

Their magazine is either simplistic or just plain wrong. My wife has joined several times because she likes to get things in the mail. I don’t. I have a better auto deal at Allstate(but Massachusetts) than I could get from AARP.

I respect what they do, and don’t get bent out by calling people who have a different political view than mine insulting names. AARP has close to my view, but they don’t do enough for me to justify paying a membership to them.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:27 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Over 20Million Americans can not afford healthcare. We need some form of healthcare system that everyone can afford. How anyone can support the ACA does not make any sense. Do people really 'want' there to not be affordable healthcare in this nation?

Dump the ACA.
I am all in favor of that if we had a replacement for those under 65 than can’t get affordable good insurance from their workplace. So far I haven’t heard anyone actually come up with a better solution. I do like some of the things the ACA did bring such as not keeping you out from previous conditions and the cap that led many to bankruptcy.

Sadly as I said the destroying of the ACA by those currently in power is not leading to a better solution.

As for the AARP, while I don’t agree with all their stands on issues, I do feel we need a strong influence from those in our age group because reality is that MONEY and VOTES are the only things that will move politicians in our country and since none of us is independently wealthy enough to force them to listen, a group is the only way they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement