Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:55 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times

Advertisements

Well as expected this thread goes downhill faster and faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at least the nra lobbies on behalf of it's members. that is generally not aarps agenda .

as an example low balling you on auto insurance ,sticking you in a high risk group of seniors and then raising the rates to match the groups risk or selling high fee annuity products , is not serving the members .

i am a member for the discounts but i would buy nothing they offer-ever . it seems to be the gist of their existence-selling products .
Really? So why does it campaign against certain sensible bills that a majority of its members support?

It lobbies for its most extreme members. Its does not specifically lobby for the bulk of its members, there's just some overlap.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:42 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Thumbs down About 17% of AARP's income is membership dues, they make more from Medigap insurance than from membership dues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Really? So why does it campaign against certain sensible bills that a majority of its members support? It lobbies for its most extreme members. Its does not specifically lobby for the bulk of its members, there's just some overlap.
That's the way the media spins things, but if you actually read the bills (not just the summary), those "sensible bills" are not what "a majority of its members support". The NRA is not perfect, but is also not as horrible as it is portrayed. The really extreme pro-2A folk think the NRA is too willing to compromise and instead support other organizations (GOA, SAF, and JPFO).

Currently only 17% of AARP's income comes from membership dues. Compare that to the NRA, where dues and individual contributions make up the majority of the NRA's income; the AARP can safely ignore their membership, the NRA cannot.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:53 AM

550 posts, read 368,835 times
AARP makes its money as an insurance company affiliate. Service and support to seniors are just enough to continue to qualify as a non-profit, but definitely a secondary consideration for AARP.

Here's an article from Forbes magazine that lays this bare: https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#f299a7e59350.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I keep getting info sent to me from AARP. I refuse to be a part of that group. I am not retired, don't plan on retiring for many years to come. Don't approve of their agenda. I have yet to figure out what they can do for me that I can't do for myself.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:35 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Jeez! Two of Human Events chief colmnists include Ann Coulter and Pat Robertson and has a crush on Michele Bachmann.

As recently as yesterday, American Stinker (ooops, I meant “Thinker”) railed against the never-ending War on Christmas: A Time for War: The Battle for Christmas.

The link to The Hill article is merely an article two GOP reps wrote to represent their views.

Forbes? Seriously? They’ll print anything. Here’s an article from this summer titled “Here’s Why I Joined AARP at Age 35”: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerma.../#6b9c115970f5

Just because you read something on the internet doesn’t make it true.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:49 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Jeez! Two of Human Events chief colmnists include Ann Coulter and Pat Robertson and has a crush on Michele Bachmann.

As recently as yesterday, American Stinker (ooops, I meant “Thinker”) railed against the never-ending War on Christmas: A Time for War: The Battle for Christmas.

The link to The Hill article is merely an article two GOP reps wrote to represent their views.

Forbes? Seriously? They’ll print anything. Here’s an article from this summer titled “Here’s Why I Joined AARP at Age 35”: https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerma.../#6b9c115970f5

Nor does it make it false if you don't like or agree with the writer.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:06 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Lightbulb If you actually want to know where AARP stands on the issues, go to the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If you actually want to know where AARP stands on the issues, go to the source.

Send an email "Member Services" asking for the policy recommended by the National Policy Council and any statements passed by the AARP Board of Directors in relation to your the issue of personal interest to you.

Be persistent, you will have to call/email more than once to get an answer out of AARP on anything but the most uncontroversial of policy positions.

Or you can argue with strangers on the Internet. Your choice.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:49 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
i didn't see any advantage in subscribing to AARP

Old 12-26-2017, 04:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
AARP is nothing more than Democrat-agenda supporting insurance company!

Goes back to when Dietz was AARP president, was a major anti-gun proponent when a majority of AARP
members were conservative

AARP supported Obamacare passage when NO ONE knew what it included!

There are conservative alternatives to AARP. Suggest you seek themn out.
https://amac.us/

I've been a member for nearly five years and all I can say is they did an excellent job for me when I signed up for Medicare and had to make decisions on supplement plans. Their advice was excellent.

Biggest reason I turned against AARP was their openly left wing support of ObamaCare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement