Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 11:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Why should their success be punished by having a portion of their wealth confiscated so that those who failed to provide for themselves can be rewarded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Because elected representatives chosen by the people make those sorts of decisions in the American system of government.
When elected officials rob from Peter to pay Paul, they can count on the support of Paul. What happens when the Pauls outnumber the Peters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 11:21 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Senator Diane Feinstein once said that if she could disarm America she would. Totally disarming every American is a cherished goal of the Democratic Party and leftists, make no mistake about it.
Senator Diane Feinstein is not a leftist, not even close.

Neither am I, nor are most of the other Democrats I know.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:27 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Why should their success be punished by having a portion of their wealth confiscated so that those who failed to provide for themselves can be rewarded?
It shouldn't be, but we live in a democracy and that is how democracies work. Much as I'd like to keep 100% of what I earn, I can't.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:29 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Senator Diane Feinstein is not a leftist, not even close.

Neither am I, nor are most of the other Democrats I know.
She is a moderate who sometimes makes common cause with leftists, but apparently not enough to please them; they've threatened to challenge her in a primary.

The left wing of the Democratic party is indistinguishable from a Communist party; the moderate wing is powerless and is being blamed for Hillary's loss. It's not a good situation.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Quote:
Refusing to sell out my principles for a few discounts is not stubborn ignorance. I have my core values and I don't support any organization that opposes what I believe in. Would you join the NRA for their discounts?
You just said AARP goes to great lengths to shield their anti-gun views, then you compared them to the NRA who is in your face with their agenda. Two totally different scenario.

We just had one poster call liberals anti-American, yet another compared them to communists. Is there really any doubt which group is more hostile and increasing the divide in this nation? The hate of liberals from the right is over the top. To answer your question I would not avoid an organization just because they had the conservative equivalent of Jane Fonda on the cover and supported conservative causes as long as they don't throw it in my face the way the NRA does.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:50 AM

91 posts, read 49,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My redhatter MAGA parent stopped contributing to AARP when Faux News told him that AARP supported Obama's health care plan. My parent is on Medicare/Tricare (Retired military) and wasn't even affected by the ACA.
You didn't know AARP supported Obamacare - a cash cow for them even though their own members overwhelmingly objected to it? Your parents had the right to oppose Obamacare since their tax dollars subsidize it. And Obamacare raided Medicare.

Perhaps all these other sources will clarify the confusion since they're not Fox News.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=MUI....0.OAE-ouGl50w

Last edited by factcheckcd; 12-23-2017 at 05:04 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 AM

91 posts, read 49,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It shouldn't be, but we live in a democracy and that is how democracies work. Much as I'd like to keep 100% of what I earn, I can't.
Actually, we live in a Constitutional Republic not a Democracy.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:43 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
... When my net worth crossed $1 million I was shocked to find out that only put me in the top 8%, and even lower if you only count people over 55. That's a lot of millionaires.
Thousands of Americans become millionaires every year.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:26 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Thousands of Americans become millionaires every year.
I guess becoming a millionaire today just ain't what it used to be!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:18 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
Figured this board would probably know most about it. I was talking to my father who is 64 and he was talking about getting some AARP stuff in the mail and I asked him if he was going to ever sign up and he said no and said he doesn't like what they stand for and support. I found that a little odd given doesn't it just help out older people? He wouldn't elaborate further, which is why I am asking here. He is very socially and economically conservative, anyone have any idea why he wouldn't like AARP?

Conservatives boycott AARP for the same reason Papa John's is being boycotted by the NFL and the Colin Kapernick faction from the opposite political direction.

Ask Dad if he gives all other left leaning corporations the same treatment, like Microsoft, Apple, GE, many many others. Now I'll stand back and wait for all the incredulous responses like "WHAT! YOU THINK CORPORATIONS ARE PRO-LIBERAL OR LEFT LEANING???? LOL!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement