Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 10:25 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

I am not a Repub, nor am I a Dem.

I do not care to feed either of these groups with my money, time or resources.

When companies try their marketing at me, with an obvious political agenda, it repulses me.

I am not any more 'anti-Dem' than I am 'anti-Repub', nor am I pro-Dem or pro-Repub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I guess becoming a millionaire today just ain't what it used to be!
True.

When I was a teen to say that someone was a 'millionaire' meant that they were living the 'lifestyle of the rich and famous'.

Today to be a millionaire, simply means that you own your home [with no mortgage] and that you may have $500k in a 401[k] account.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:04 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Senator Diane Feinstein is not a leftist, not even close.

Neither am I, nor are most of the other Democrats I know.
And that's the thing---the goalposts have been moved so far that if you transported her (or you) back to 1940 (or even 1970), people would say that both you and Dianne were waaaay beyond being leftist.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 AM

731 posts, read 679,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
First of all, AARP is just another business selling the same products as other businesses do. Just like Humana or Aetna or Kaiser.

But, AARP is also different. They are left wing Democrats by political orientation. They support left wing causes.

That is why people don't like AARP.
They started sending me crap when I was 50 years old. The magazine has some useful articles such as medical advice, but they are Demo and the Dems have gone way too far to the Left. That's why I jumped ship at age 63 and voted for Trump.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 12-23-2017 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 12:10 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You can't be on the cover if you aren't over 50. Melania isn't. ACA is a good program that many of my retired friends participate in. AARP endorses it because it allows people with pre-existing conditions (which many people over 50 do) to get health insurance at the same rates as others, among other reasons.
LOL I'd never bothered to check on how old Melania is. Well, I stand corrected but I stand by my statement that you will not see Melania on the cover in 3 years or more.

AARP can endorse whatever they want. I'm just giving my reason for not supporting them.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:43 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Thousands of Americans become millionaires every year.
A lot more than that. If millionaires are 8% of the population, 8% x 320,000,000 = 25,600,000 millionaires. If that is spread over 50 years then that's 500,000 new millionaires every year; more than that actually, because some people stop being millionaires or die and leave the population.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:45 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
True.

When I was a teen to say that someone was a 'millionaire' meant that they were living the 'lifestyle of the rich and famous'.

Today to be a millionaire, simply means that you own your home [with no mortgage] and that you may have $500k in a 401[k] account.
If you were a teen in the 1950s then the dollar was worth 10x what it is now, so that's right.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Senator Diane Feinstein once said that if she could disarm America she would. Totally disarming every American is a cherished goal of the Democratic Party and leftists, make no mistake about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Senator Diane Feinstein is not a leftist, not even close.

Neither am I, nor are most of the other Democrats I know.
She is a Democrat and she made that statement. Everyone has an opinion as to how far to the right or left a person is. But Diane Feinstein flat out said if she could do it, she would have everyone turn in their firearms. That was the main point I was making. There are lots of other Democrats who feel the same way, but will never it admit it in public as it would amount to political suicide.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:17 PM

635 posts, read 784,695 times
When they said they supported Obama and his unaffordable act.My father tore up his card and contacted them and canceled.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:03 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
She is a Democrat and she made that statement. Everyone has an opinion as to how far to the right or left a person is. But Diane Feinstein flat out said if she could do it, she would have everyone turn in their firearms. That was the main point I was making. There are lots of other Democrats who feel the same way, but will never it admit it in public as it would amount to political suicide.
The gun control issue is but one of many issues. It is not the litmus test for whether a person is a leftist or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement