Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would not be so quick to say that Type Ii diabetes is because of lifestyle. In my family every male on my fathers side for 3 generations developed diabetes, but none of the females did. I am sure that being genetically predisposed makes a huge difference. After all, the diets of my father and his 6 siblings was very similar throughout their entire lifetimes.
I was going to say the same thing about type 2 diabetes. It CAN be caused by lifestyle, but many cases are simply genetic. If you are genetically predisposed AND have a bad lifestyle, then of course you are increasing your chances. In my family, type 2 is the family curse. On my dad's side of the family, out of 5 siblings, 4 had it, all 4 now deceased, only one was heavy. The one who didn't get it is 85 and still with us, but unfortunately has dementia (so did my dad and uncle). Of my 17 cousins and siblings on that side of the family, there are 3 or so (including me) who don't have type 2 diabetes. It doesn't matter whether you are fat or thin in my family. If it's going to get you, it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I will be 63 in less than a month. Excellent health. Been a regular at the gym for 35+ years. Running for most of those. Frequently ride a 16.5 mile paved trail on weekends, did 8 miles on graded trails in woods yesterday....so I get far more exercise than most people my age. Never been on any kind of "maintained" medication. Rarely ever need Advil, even. Yep have had more aches and pains in the last few years of course. Had THR 4 years ago - recovery was a breeze. I carried a 70 lb bundle of shingles out to my shed 2 nights ago. Sh|t like that is why I work out. My first couple of colonoscopies, they had to turn off the heart monitor alarm during recovery as my heart rate goes down to about 45. I think the last couple they learned to just reset it for me.

I get a physical every year. Doc tells me it has to be exercise and not-terrible eating habits (they could be a lot better!).

Old 11-12-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but I never heard of Branson, Missouri, outside of the OP's screen name.
Wow. Very surprising.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Just an observation - for those of you who are starting to have balance issues - PLEASE take a "fall" class.

Learn how to fall so that you protect yourself against breaks.

If you're getting older, you'd better learn how to fall - StarTribune.com

Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was going to say the same thing about type 2 diabetes. It CAN be caused by lifestyle, but many cases are simply genetic. If you are genetically predisposed AND have a bad lifestyle, then of course you are increasing your chances. In my family, type 2 is the family curse. On my dad's side of the family, out of 5 siblings, 4 had it, all 4 now deceased, only one was heavy. The one who didn't get it is 85 and still with us, but unfortunately has dementia (so did my dad and uncle). Of my 17 cousins and siblings on that side of the family, there are 3 or so (including me) who don't have type 2 diabetes. It doesn't matter whether you are fat or thin in my family. If it's going to get you, it will.

I don't have a lot of health history from either side of my family.

So as far as I know I am the first in the family to have breast cancer, diabetes 2, glaucoma.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I also hear people talk about "back when" and old people seemed in better shape - but I wonder if our perceptions of age were different back then and if we could even accurately judge age. Think of Edith Bunker (yes, I know she was on tv) - she was meant to be maybe late 40's, early 50's at the oldest. But looking back at her she acted OLD, looked old, and dressed old compared to what most 50 year olds seem like now. I just wonder if our memories and perceptions fool us when we are trying to make comparisons.
Hmmm. My maternal grandparents - grandma was definitely fat - not hugely obese, but no way around it she was fat. She died of breast cancer at 67. Grandfather - skinny as a rail all his life. He had heart problems for years and refused to go to a dr, heart attack and dead at 65.

Paternal - grandmother was overweight, cooked typical farm food - a dietary nightmare probably and stooped in her later years. Think she died of a stroke in her 80's, she always looked "old". Grandfather - a farmer, always on the move, terrible diet, skinny, drank and smoked regularly, finally gave it up at 96.

I don't think they were "in better shape" at all. Long genes in my dad's family though, for the most part. Dad is 92 and still kicking.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:17 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hmmm. My maternal grandparents - grandma was definitely fat - not hugely obese, but no way around it she was fat. She died of breast cancer at 67. Grandfather - skinny as a rail all his life. He had heart problems for years and refused to go to a dr, heart attack and dead at 65.

Paternal - grandmother was overweight, cooked typical farm food - a dietary nightmare probably and stooped in her later years. Think she died of a stroke in her 80's, she always looked "old". Grandfather - a farmer, always on the move, terrible diet, skinny, drank and smoked regularly, finally gave it up at 96.

I don't think they were "in better shape" at all. Long genes in my dad's family though, for the most part. Dad is 92 and still kicking.
I'll add to this that there were pollutants that contributed to serious health issues, so even if relatives back in the day were healthy they were exposed to ddt, lead paint, asbestos, formaldehyde, deadly air pollution, pesticides. The idea that people are unhealthy due to their own habits tends to ignore the pollutants we are constantly bombarded with on a daily basis. We may have gotten rid of the past pollutants, but they've been replaced with new ones that if not outright affecting our health, is doing so in an insidious way (Flint Michigan for example).

Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't take tests. The VA Clinic where my assigned Primary Care Provider is has been trying to get me to take labs for more than 13 years.

Many problems that are diagnosed resolve themselves naturally. If I had a condition I would certainly seek out a good naturopathic physiciam or wholistic practitioner to address it. My blood pressure tends to be on the high side, although, BEFORE the blood pressure figures were "revised" my BP would have been considered normal. To be honest, my resting heart rate of about 92 beats per minute has always concerned me, but does not seem to bother medical doctors in the least. There must not be an expensive pill to slow it down. Lol
Actually, there are a number of inexpensive drugs that will slow down the heart rate, if that is indicated. Generic beta blockers, calcium channel blockers can be used for this purpose, and in my experience the docs prescribe the generics for patients they believe need these drugs. I''ve taken the beta blocker metoprolol tartrate for years (prescribed by my cardiologist), to control SVT, and with insurance that runs me about $2.00 for 90 day supply.

Of course there are the more expensive brand names of these drugs (Coreg comes to mind) , as well as newer drugs for which generic equivalents are not yet available.

Last I checked, normal heart rate ranges were listed at 60-100 beats/minute, so I doubt many physicians would worry about a rate of 92.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM

1,013 posts, read 725,475 times
I will be 74 in 3 weeks and have struggled with poor health the last 10 years. The 2 biggest problems are a very bad back (degenerative disc disease and advanced osteoarthritis) and severe allergies/asthma. I ‘ve never smoked, don’t drink, exercise regularly but I can tell I’m declining. I was very active up till my back problems began. Orthopedic doctors tell me there is no treatment or surgery to improve my condition.

All of you who are healthy, don’t need medicine, I hope you’re grateful. Sometimes we just don’t inherit the right genes.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I have both osteoarthritis and allergies. But I’ve been taking belly dancing, Pilate and do some form or correction. So far so good. Don’t give up yet.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-12-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement