Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times

Advertisements

"Looking young" is way different than actually living a healthy life.

Don't make that mistake.

I do go "home" to the midwest and see my immediate and next generation family and wonder if I am not related. They eat way different than I would - and I don't think they exercise - in some cases at all - in others only when threatened.

And being healthy is difficult in places where hibernation (winter) for 6 months is a thing.

Best thing I did for myself was move west - when I was 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
That’s why I’m glad I’m in California, but in the winter I wish I’m in Hawaii or Tahiti. I also try to eat healthy and do moderate exercise. I have two large fridges and they are filled up to the wazoo with fruits and vegetables. We eat lots of these green stuff. When we do fall ill, not often, we do recover quickly.
I have hip arthritis since my early 20s, due to playing a sport activity when I was much younger, I used to feel pain when it rained. Now I just feel uncomfortable when it’s about to rain, not my usuall chirpy self. Hey, but I take it, I’m all I’ve got, isn’t there a saying like that in the 70s. I won’t jump to take medicine very quickly either. I will question, challenge my doctor as well.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I'm in Hawaii and wish I was on the mainland.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-11-2018, 11:33 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm in Hawaii and wish I was on the mainland.
Let’s swap.

But seriously, I’ve got good and cheap airfare to go over to Hawaii frequently. But I only stay a few weeks and then I get bored. Now I understand why my siblings had island fever. They went to college there and one never came back to visit.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
I was in your condition at age 60. I wondered the same thing. Despite zero risk factors, between age 62 and 65 I had two strokes, a heart attack, a hip replacement, and today I am hardly able to do 30% of what I could do just 7 years ago.

Yup. And I have many cohorts my age who have had similar issues.

Age 60 is a time to assume nothing!

BTW, during those same 7 years I've seen no less than 9 near-my-age friends and relatives die. There is a "culling" in the late 50's to about 67 or so. And come to think of it, 10 years ago I'd of never predicted it.

A lot of people live hearty and hale past 80 these days....a lot, but by no means all.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:19 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
I watched Book Club last night and was amazed by Jane Fonda. She's 81 and looks younger. I don't mean just face lifts and hair dye - she moves like a younger person. I'm going to look into her workout videos. LOL

Old 11-11-2018, 04:30 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I watched Book Club last night and was amazed by Jane Fonda. She's 81 and looks younger. I don't mean just face lifts and hair dye - she moves like a younger person. I'm going to look into her workout videos. LOL
She certainly isn't carrying extra fat. I worked for her in video department yrs ago and know too she's had a hip replacement about the time I went thru mine. Looks like her's probably turned out a lot better than mine, that's an understatement...and I had a highly recommended surgeon. Maybe she had the surgeon who taught my surgeon...both in So. Cal. here.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I am 63 and take no meds except an antibiotic if needed and a rare OTC cold or pain med. I am active on a daily basis and walk with my dog a lot. I want to be even more active than I am with extended hiking and biking.

My opinion is that a sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition, dehydration, and way too many medications and toxic ones at that accelerate the downhill slide to debilitation.

I plan to avoid as many meds as possible, strive to eat healthily and stay hydrated, and keep moving!
When I see statements like this, I have to wonder if you and the other people who speak this way have ever had blood tests that show high cholesterol, or a heart scan that shows calcification, or a test that shows high blood pressure, or a cardio stress test that shows heart problems, etc. You can PLAN to be active, eat healthy and not take meds, but what will you do when the tests show you have a problem? Do you accept it and take the meds or do you say you will just eat more veggies and exercise more and hope for the best?

Not asking HappyDogToday in particular, but also other posters who have this attitude. And are you yet at the age where these problems tend to show up?

Old 11-11-2018, 04:42 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I was in your condition at age 60. I wondered the same thing. Despite zero risk factors, between age 62 and 65 I had two strokes, a heart attack, a hip replacement, and today I am hardly able to do 30% of what I could do just 7 years ago.

Yup. And I have many cohorts my age who have had similar issues.

Age 60 is a time to assume nothing!

BTW, during those same 7 years I've seen no less than 9 near-my-age friends and relatives die. There is a "culling" in the late 50's to about 67 or so. And come to think of it, 10 years ago I'd of never predicted it.

A lot of people live hearty and hale past 80 these days....a lot, but by no means all.
A sobering dose of reality. Thanks for the reminder of taking nothing for granted at this age.

I've heard that if you make it through your sixties without suffering from cancer, the chances of developing an aggressive form of it actually drop off. Of course there are exceptions, and I'm not sure if this is correct....

Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Late sixties. In very good health. Take one medication I have to take for life.

Not doddering YET!

I do notice my balance isn't what it once was, but overall, I feel very blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement