Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I am happy those big family holiday`s with all the work and bickering are over.

My wife watched a Resiliency Video last week at work and the follow-up was for all the viewers take a 10 question test to identify the level of childhood trauma they had endured. Each affirmative answer to a question counts as one point, 3 points or more indicates a level of emotional trauma that has the potential to negatively impact and shorten their lives as adults. The overall goal was to illustrate the impact family trauma can have on the social actions and academic performance of elementary and secondary students.

My wife scored an 8.

So the Norman Rockwell Happy Holiday Family is indeed a myth for many, many, people. Her high score is replicated in the lives of her siblings, many of the issues originating with their mother, so the lack of enthusiasm for a Family Thanksgiving Dinner should probably be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 12:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
fluffythewondercat: I've been reading your posts for quite a while now.

My only comment is you sound so much better these days. Not stressed. Happier.

I'm glad for you.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
My husband and I have spent our last several Thanksgivings alone, just the two of us on the beach because this is exactly the way we want it.

We could care less about being with tons of people and overstuffing ourselves.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
We're going to South America for Thanksgiving.

No, not really. Someone upthread mentioned Brazilian steak and it turned out that was something both of us had wanted to do for some time, only we'd never discussed it.

There are Brazilian steakhouses popping up all over here. I had a full roast turkey dinner at Harris Ranch yesterday so that'll do me, gobbler-wise. Brazilians fire-roast their meat and seafood. I've heard it's quite special.

We chose Fogo de Chão in Santana Row, an upscale mixed use development in San Jose. Fun place to walk around and window-shop.
New year is when there’s just the two of us, no celebrations with any family member, and that’s when we do Brazilian BBQ.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
You people who say you are spending Thanksgiving with just pets - I have to say that pets are generally better company than most people.

Certainly, I am never alone with my cats - even if DW is sleeping like a log, one or another cat will come along and jump up on the bed.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband and I have spent our last several Thanksgivings alone, just the two of us on the beach because this is exactly the way we want it.

We could care less about being with tons of people and overstuffing ourselves.
When I lived on the coast that's where I spent the Tgiving too....have a pleasant day.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Thanksgiving alone..."me, myself and Irene".

I am invited to the home of "extended family" here and did go the first year but I didn't feel "at home" there so I have declined every year since then.

The holidays used to be a big deal and a great joy for me to host and do the cooking but with the grown kids not being here and no grandchildren well the joy is no longer there in that regard.

So I cook for myself and watch movies, it's all good with just me.

ETA: I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving however and with whoever you spend the time with!

Old 11-19-2018, 03:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Hate those feel good holiday commercial`s where everyone is sitting around the table, and everything is perfect. It makes you feel bad, because your holiday will not be perfect.
I am happy those big family holiday`s with all the work and bickering are over.
Just remember, those are commercials you are watching and the people you see are just actors.

It's all make-believe. Nothing is perfect.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
My wife and I most of the time get those restaurant turkey meals. Sometimes we go see family other times we stay home by ourselves. Either way we’re happy and thankful for each other and what we have. As far as the meal I’m not such a traditionalist where I want my wife slaving over a stove. Well maybe if she was barefoot and pregnant. I much rather spend time with her s we do these restaurant meals.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
I think of it this way: I have eaten and, for the most part, cooked the same meal once or twice a year for nearly 70 years. I'm over it.

In this age of having whatever we want to eat whenever we want it, holiday meals have lost their appeal to me. I enjoy my memories but I am happy to be out of the fray.

But I like to hear about other people's plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement