Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 03:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Exactly. People don’t think about getting bored. In fact, if you mention the word getting bored, it’s as if something is wrong with your life. I don’t like the mindset people set sometimes. I get bored, how else to explain I spend 7-8 hours on my iPad. But at least I admit it, I’m human.
I know. People seem to think that if you are bored that you do not have any interests in life. I have found that I have a lot of things I could be doing (building my cars, fishing, etc) but I have done those to the point where they do not hold the appeal they once did.

I recently had to be off work for 12 weeks due to some surgery, and I begged my Dr to release me so I could go back to work...…….I was bored stiff !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think the media tends to misrepresent things as always, many people who are close to retirement and know they don’t have enough, stay working part time or work on and off, on call, temp, contact. I know lots of people in this category from age 66-76.

Yep. The projection is that 25% of men age 65+ will be working in 2022 and 20% of women age 65+. This number is only going to grow as defined benefit pensions don't exist.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a relative that has a cab company. He is of course anti Uber

His main complaint is that the drivers are not required to have a full police type background check.
From the Uber website:

"Drivers must clear several screenings
Before anyone can drive with Uber, they must undergo a multi-point review of driving history and criminal history. Screenings check for moving violations, drinking- and drug-related offenses, violent crime, and felonies."

So yes, they do vet their drivers and do background screening. How that compares to cab drivers - I don't know.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
I know a number of people in their 70's who are working full time. Some year-round as design engineers and others seasonally as Construction Managers. Other than the Seasonal employees, I don't think these guys and gals have ever retired.

One of my friends, who is 72, was hoping to be called back for 2-3 months this Fall but it never happened. Previously I was assigned projects which required his skills and experiences so he worked for me, but I was denied that assignment this Fall. The team who was given that assignment complained they had no one with the special knowledge but were too cheap to hire an experienced retiree for even two weeks, one week for critical dismantling and one week for reassembly.

As far as age 60 being early to run out of money, there were a number of "30 & Out" programs negotiated by many unions. These allowed retirement at age 48 for some, and even earlier in some health hazardous occupations which gave more than one year credit toward retirement for each year worked.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 12-02-2018 at 06:27 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Running out of retirement money at 60 or 70 is pretty darn quick, wouldn't you say? I mean 60 isn't even a traditional retirement age.

And it's happening to lots of people you know?
A friend on FB who graduated HS with me was complaining about how hard it was to cover out-of-pocket medical costs on their "meager" savings. She would have been maybe 62 at the time; husband comparable age. She's a retired nurse; not sure what he did. So they retired with "meager" savings. In fairness, I should mention that nursing can be really physically demanding, especially if you have to move patients, and last I saw her her posture was ben over as if she had bad back issues- she probably couldn't go back to work.

I wonder what their future will bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
isnt the widower allowed to get the SS benefits after the spouse passes?
Yes, but in the typical scenario where the spouse gets a greater benefit by taking 50% of the primary earner's benefit (let's say the Primary was the husband and the low-earner is the wife):

While both are alive they get 150% of the husband's SS (his 100% plus her benefit, which is 50% of his).

If he dies, her benefit disappears ad he gets his 100%.

If she dies, she loses her 50% benefit but gets his 100%. In either case, household income just dropped by 1/3 if they have no other income.

Last edited by athena53; 12-02-2018 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know. People seem to think that if you are bored that you do not have any interests in life. I have found that I have a lot of things I could be doing (building my cars, fishing, etc) but I have done those to the point where they do not hold the appeal they once did.

I recently had to be off work for 12 weeks due to some surgery, and I begged my Dr to release me so I could go back to work...…….I was bored stiff !
I've given up many hobbies. Gardening and baking for example.

People question why I would do such a thing. What the heck - I did it, enjoyed it, now on to something else, even if it is drinking beer and watching tv.

Ugh - just because I had a few hanging planters, I should be doing that for the rest of my life -

I guess that is part of the culture we grew up (well, not me) about not letting kids quit things they stared.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
From the Uber website:

"Drivers must clear several screenings
Before anyone can drive with Uber, they must undergo a multi-point review of driving history and criminal history. Screenings check for moving violations, drinking- and drug-related offenses, violent crime, and felonies."

So yes, they do vet their drivers and do background screening. How that compares to cab drivers - I don't know.
He makes it sound like his drivers undergo more vigorous investigations.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:21 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I would think it would be very hard for someone that age to get a job.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Since you're retired now, why don't you tell us about your own financial flubs? In agonizing detail, of course.
HEY-OH! Nice catch. I didn't even see that one.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at 63 i decided to get back in to drumming again, i am now 66 . i was a pro drummer decades ago and gave it up . talk about physically demanding . i do two hours a day of intense physical practice but even harder is the mental exercises of doing 4 different things with each limb at the same time .

i have a drumming coach who is very famous and he pushes me to my limits and at 66 i am faster and smoother today then i was in my 20's with far better dexterity and co-ordination . the only thing i find that slowed down is what i call processing time .
Right on! I'm impressed. I had a skill of the same sort, did some touring. Went legit with a job, all but stopped practicing. Got back into practicing this past summer, realized how much I missed it - how much I missed being GOOD at it. How much time I wasted in those 4 years of "getting serious" about a day job when I should have been honing my skills. For nothing than the pure joy of being good at something not tied to making money. Better late than never, and my hat is off to you!

(Oh, and for those crying crocodile tears over their old friends who were in the arts or the helping professions and now have to live a meagre lifestyle - save your tears. Those people always lived a richer, fuller life than you, and they still do.)

Last edited by Mimidae; 12-02-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement