Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:31 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yup, many of us our proud of our kids accomplishments and the support we provided in helping them to get there! Hoping they pass it on to the grands and keep upper mobility going across future generations.
As they old line goes "does your elbow get sore from patting yourself on your back?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
As they old line goes "does your elbow get sore from patting yourself on your back?"
Nope, practice makes perfect. Just like some discuss their success in sports and other endeavors, others will pat themselves about what they consider important.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
Nope, practice makes perfect. Just like some discuss their success in sports and other endeavors, others will pat themselves about what they consider important.
Well, okay then.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:35 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Wow. The days when parents expected you to make it on your own are truly over.

The amount of enabling has to have a crippling effect on people.

I hope this subject is being studied.
My father comes from a long line of wealthy people. He rebelled and joined the military as a teenager. Trust me, no one in that family started from nothing, going back a couple of hundred years. My dad's family sailed through the Depression, when my dad was born. And not because parents didn't help the kids, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I never understand why parents helping their children at any age is so controversial.

My parents help me financially, emotionally and a few times physically until the day they died. The way I repaid their generosity was by being the best human being that I could.

I will do the same for my sons. Helping someone does not mean enabling them. Parents are quite capable of figuring out if a financial gift will do harm or good.

My kids got college tuition, I also gift my nieces and nephews. I am proud of the young adults they are turning into.

If I am able to contribute to helping them get their first home and it does not compromise my retirement I will be more than happy to do so.
Yes, exactly.

We let our dd live at home for free, and use a car, for her time in university. School isn't as horribly expensive in Canada, so she worked throughout and paid her own school costs. She graduates in a couple of weeks debt free. It cost us some, but we're happy to have done that.

My husband and my parents helped us out as well - my in-laws shared our inheritance in small chunks years ago when it was really really helpful. And my parents gave us 5% down on a cheap condo over 25 years ago that we have parlayed into a comfortable SF home.

A small hand up is not "enabling", it's being part of a family, IMO.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I helped out my daughter with a down payment on a car last year. She is working on her PhD with an assistantship, so her income is low, but she pays her own rent, etc.

She'd called and said she really needed a car because her 2000 Buick was dead and "Daddy said he'd give me $1K if you would give $1k, too."

Along the way, she worked in a Master's and so my ex and I were together for her graduation last week. I said to him, "So, did she call you about the car last year and say, 'Mommy said she'd give me $1K if you'd give $1k'..." and of course she did. We laughed our asses off. We split when she was eight, and she knows how to work us.

But, she's the only child either one of us has, and neither of us went to college, so we're OK with helping her out now and again. She's the only thing we did right in our marriage.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
6 pages of mostly humble brags...
lol, hey I'm not trying to be "humble". I'm not saying I'm better than anyone but yeah I'm ridiculously proud of my kids.

I never understand this sites thought process.

Saying you are starving and have no money saved is absolutely ok but god forbid you mention that you saved and lived beyond your means and are well off. then it's a "humble brag".

it's silly,

Say your kid is an addict and all kinds of positive responses. Say your kid is doing well then of course you are "patting yourself on the back unnecessarily"

Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
My father comes from a long line of wealthy people. He rebelled and joined the military as a teenager. Trust me, no one in that family started from nothing, going back a couple of hundred years. My dad's family sailed through the Depression, when my dad was born. And not because parents didn't help the kids, that's for sure!

Yes, exactly.

We let our dd live at home for free, and use a car, for her time in university. School isn't as horribly expensive in Canada, so she worked throughout and paid her own school costs. She graduates in a couple of weeks debt free. It cost us some, but we're happy to have done that.

My husband and my parents helped us out as well - my in-laws shared our inheritance in small chunks years ago when it was really really helpful. And my parents gave us 5% down on a cheap condo over 25 years ago that we have parlayed into a comfortable SF home.

A small hand up is not "enabling", it's being part of a family, IMO.
One thing to keep in mind, since you are in Canada, is that we don't have a gift tax or an inheritance tax.

You could give your children $100,000, and pay no tax.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
lol, hey I'm not trying to be "humble". I'm not saying I'm better than anyone but yeah I'm ridiculously proud of my kids.

Saying you are starving and have no money saved is absolutely ok but god forbid you mention that you saved and lived beyond your means and are well off. then it's a "humble brag".

it's silly,

Say your kid is an addict and all kinds of positive responses. Say your kid is doing well then of course you are "patting yourself on the back unnecessarily"

A super Bada Bing!

It wasn’t always like this here!

Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:

it's silly,

I beg to differ in what you said about having problem kids and getting all kinds of support. Wherever did you, and another poster, ever get such a ridiculous idea?
It's well known, since I've written it a few times, that my son spent five years in prison for a terrible crime and I don't recall getting a lot of support for that.

Just try to be grateful that you do not have problems like this. I do and it will not go away. It is my reality.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
A super Bada Bing!

It wasn’t always like this here!
I thought it was worse here before. Someone here was challenging me when I said my kid paid somebody $17 an hour, as if that’s an unbelievable rate. I now put the negative people on ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement