Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM

663 posts, read 433,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I'm tired of being productive! I want to be a sloth, at least for a while. And when the spirit moves me, I'll look into taking a guitar class, volunteering at the animal shelter, and taking some day trips. But until then: "nothing, nothing, and nothing.".

"nothing" was my reply before I retired slightly over a year ago. I told people my plan was to goof off and enjoy not waking up to an alarm clock. I have accomplished that! I have done some trips and spent more time with my Mom, read books, gone to a few movies, played on the computer, caught up on some TV shows, etc. At this point I still have no urge to have any kind of schedule where I HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time on a certain date every week. Closest I have gotten to that is once a week with mom to do something and out to eat but those days change and it is something different most weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:09 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Quote:
I am retiring in about three months. People are finding out and asking me "what are you going to do next?"

I often feel kind of sheepish about my response, which tends to be "Nothing, nothing, and nothing" because I get the feeling that many people think that retirement means being as productive as our work environments expect us to be.

I'm tired of being productive! I want to be a sloth, at least for a while. And when the spirit moves me, I'll look into taking a guitar class, volunteering at the animal shelter, and taking some day trips. But until then: "nothing, nothing, and nothing."

The freedom to do whatever I feel like (within my limited financial means) goes way beyond "just ok" to me.
Yes yes yes. I always get that impression from others that I need to be doing something extra productive.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
I am retiring in about three months. People are finding out and asking me "what are you going to do next?"

I often feel kind of sheepish about my response, which tends to be "Nothing, nothing, and nothing" because I get the feeling that many people think that retirement means being as productive as our work environments expect us to be.
When people at work used to talk about retirement and they'd ask me, "What will you DO" I said, "I'll do absolutely nothing for as long as I feel like and maybe I'll learn how to be internally motivated."

Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is great that you have such a system in place. Most people do not, and many actually refuse to board their dogs at all. I am speaking about folks in my own family. There are many reasons I don't have pets anymore. But being "tied down" is absolutely the main one. I am on the go a LOT. It would be absurd and curtail many of my activities.

I offered advice. As have others. Have a good day.
That is excellent reason to not have pets. Leaving pets with others a lot of the time might not be fun for the pets, either.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Actually my brother was looking to adopt a dog, the pet people came out to assess his house and they rejected his adoption quest. Reason is his family members, all 5 together, are gone or at work or school most of the time, nobody will take care of the dog. Plus he has a huge yard, almost one acre for this area, mountain lion ate the last dog. They climbed through the fence.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I sometimes curse the woman who ran a red light and crashed into me, ruining my back. Then I remind myself that I shouldn't even have survived.

It makes it difficult to walk and I do sit a lot, but I read and crochet, with my kitty right next to me. This is not how I planned my retirement.

I do enjoy the free time. I look back and think, 'How did you do all that?' I can't imagine doing what I did; organizing meetings for up to 40 people, watching budgets to make sure we stayed within the limit and numerous other things during the week to ensure we were in compliance with the rules set by the government for nonprofits.

I'm just enjoying the free time now. I love reading and never had enough time to read much while I was working so it's a real treat to be able to do this.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Good grief. Find a home for your pets and travel!!! Life is too short!

This is exactly why I don't want any pets - I want to be able to take off any time and hit the road.

Well, yanno some of us find the joy we have sharing our lives with our pets equally, or maybe more so,, depending on one's perspective, as satifying as the excitement others find in worldwide travel.

One makes those choices....

Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Actually my brother was looking to adopt a dog, the pet people came out to assess his house and they rejected his adoption quest. Reason is his family members, all 5 together, are gone or at work or school most of the time, nobody will take care of the dog. Plus he has a huge yard, almost one acre for this area, mountain lion ate the last dog. They climbed through the fence.
Good for the pet people! Why would your brother even want another dog given the circumstances?

I got kittens in 2000 knowing that I wanted to retire around 2015 and figuring the cats might be gone by then. Then took in another cat in 2003 as a favor to a friend. It worked out because my last cat died about a year before retirement. Now I am taking a break from pet ownership because I want to travel. Eventually I would like to adopt a pet but will look at adopting an older pet so it will be less likely to outlive me.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, yanno some of us find the joy we have sharing our lives with our pets equally, or maybe more so,, depending on one's perspective, as satifying as the excitement others find in worldwide travel.

One makes those choices....
Well of course!! We are all different and as such, all have different thoughts and desires as to what we enjoy and how we want to spend our time. That is what makes us human.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
ABQ2015[/b];55416104]Good for the pet people! Why would your brother even want another dog given the circumstances?

I got kittens in 2000 knowing that I wanted to retire around 2015 and figuring the cats might be gone by then. Then took in another cat in 2003 as a favor to a friend. It worked out because my last cat died about a year before retirement. Now I am taking a break from pet ownership because I want to travel. Eventually I would like to adopt a pet but will look at adopting an older pet so it will be less likely to outlive me.

Oh my gosh, what a great idea. If you ever look at different places to adopt cats, you will note there are a lot of older cats available because almost everyone wants a kitten/younger cat. For me, the thought of these older cats spending their last time in a cage makes me very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement