Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times

Advertisements

My kids (grown) don't read anything, e-readers or real books. I don't understand that. I grew up reading books from about the time I was 5, had a big shopping bag of Little Golden Books which I would empty on the floor, read each one and return it to the bag! I don't remember how I learned to read, but I entered 1st grade already reading. I remember when I got the mumps Mom asked teacher if I should be reading anything to keep up with my school chums and she said no I was way ahead of everyone!

I've had rather unsuccessful cataract surgery which has left me with huge areas of floaters, black dots and muddy looking areas that move around. The light from a screen seems to make these more visible. It's still difficult when I read a book, but the light from a screen makes it worse.

Someone else already said this though: whatever form encourages people to read is a good thing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
My kids (grown) don't read anything, e-readers or real books. I don't understand that. I grew up reading books from about the time I was 5, had a big shopping bag of Little Golden Books which I would empty on the floor, read each one and return it to the bag! I don't remember how I learned to read, but I entered 1st grade already reading. I remember when I got the mumps Mom asked teacher if I should be reading anything to keep up with my school chums and she said no I was way ahead of everyone!

I've had rather unsuccessful cataract surgery which has left me with huge areas of floaters, black dots and muddy looking areas that move around. The light from a screen seems to make these more visible. It's still difficult when I read a book, but the light from a screen makes it worse.

Someone else already said this though: whatever form encourages people to read is a good thing for them.
I am so sorry you are having these vision problems, but glad you are still able, with difficulty, to read. God bless you.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I read books paperback, hard back, and digital. I tend to borrow them from the library, both online, and the actual library. I enjoy taking my kids there to pick out their books, much like I did with my own mom as a child. I like our librarians, they give great suggestions on books I might like to read, they are my book club friends as well. I learn so much from reading, as do my children. It helps them with their spelling and their grammar, their punctuation also. I even wrote a childrens and it was published. So yeah we're big into books around here.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
I buy a lot of secondhand books - and occasionally new. Mostly classic, well-known authors (Twain, Fitzgerald, etc). The problem w/ me is that the internet surfing/browsing seems to take away from my reading - whenever I'm on the road RVing and have absolutely no internet access, I get through a lot of reading and actually look forward to it.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I had cataract surgery around 25 years ago and had a lot of floaters after - it was a problem for several years but they eventually lessened. I still get a few, but not like the years right after the surgery. Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
I prefer paper books.

This would have been a great thread to include a poll with.
I agree. With the e-books, I was worried that libraries were going to close. I think we will always have the choice of paper books. I love the feeling of a book under my arms. With all the high tech out there, there is just something about reading a great story or learning something new! Guess it comes from early childhood. My Mom took me to the library when I was about 3 years old and I have not stopped reading.

Reading and music are what we need. Amazing how many great authors are out there. Happy reading!!!!!

Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I wouldn't even know how to use Kindle or read a book online. I have always read paper books that I can hold in my hand, turn the pages, etc. The smell of a book also can't be replicated. I can't imagine ever reading a book online, that would ruin the pleasure of reading for me.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
The smell of a book also can't be replicated.
This perfumer has attempted it - haven't smelled it, so I don't know how close he is to the real thing.

IN THE LIBRARY - I Hate Perfume

Old 07-18-2019, 05:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Nope, no hard or soft cover books.

All downloaded on my iPad or Amazon’s Audible.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I don't have the time to read; I listen to audiobooks which allows me to "read" during my daily walks and while driving around. Why waste time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement