Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,572,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Also, never rely on one blood test. I had a wonky result and my GP sent me to a hematologist at a cancer center. Scared the bejeezus out of me. The doctor there repeated the blood test, walked in and shook my hand and said "your blood test is completely normal." He then said the GP should never have sent me to him without repeating the test. It was such an outlier and I would have been feeling sick if it had been accurate....I wasn't sick. I was just at the GP for an annual physical when that weird result cropped up. So, tests can be wrong!
That is a very good point. Congrats on the great news. What a relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 08:19 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I was initially on 10 (gms?) of statin and had no problem for the first 10 years! Then, the last couple of years I started to have horrific leg cramping at night...quit the statins and they went away almost immediately....next blood test, of course cholesterol was up...so doc put me on a different statin...no leg cramps now, and NOT taking 40 (gms?) a night...no way, that seems like a lot going from 10 to 40. Anyway, I notice if I don't take them for a few days, I have more energy and can go up and down the stairs without the knees aching....my HDL is good...59, but I still worry! If my regular reading without statins was up to 240 or so, I wouldn't even worry, but over 300??? Still, both of my grandmothers (no statins) lived well into their 90's.......so maybe I should just chill out.
You can't compare the number of grams, milligrams or micrograms of one drug against another drug that is given for the same problem. One statin might require 10 mg whereas another statin might require 40mg for the same effect.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I think that aging reduces energy. I'm early 60's and retired 7 months ago....I take an afternoon nap now and that boots me up for a while. I talked with my older sister (she's 66) and she complained of fatigue as well.

Are there people in their 70's or 80's that haven't seen a reduction in energy?
There will always be these people who bounce off the walls with restless energy until the day they die. Where they get all that energy, nervous energy actually, is a mystery to me. There's a woman in my 55+ community, in her 70's, who's been falling more frequently, but she keeps on going, going, going, and she says she'd die if she couldn't keep going every day.

I actually enjoy the tiredness and really don't want it analyzed. I've been steeping myself in Eastern Philosophy/Tao about just being and doing nothing and enjoying stillness. And when I really have something important to do, the energy is always there.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There will always be these people who bounce off the walls with restless energy until the day they die. Where they get all that energy, nervous energy actually, is a mystery to me. There's a woman in my 55+ community, in her 70's, who's been falling more frequently, but she keeps on going, going, going, and she says she'd die if she couldn't keep going every day.

I actually enjoy the tiredness and really don't want it analyzed. I've been steeping myself in Eastern Philosophy/Tao about just being and doing nothing and enjoying stillness. And when I really have something important to do, the energy is always there.
It sounds like you’re talking more about slowing down and relaxing than actually being exhausted when you haven’t even done anything. Wanting to chill out and read a book and not having the energy to run around is really not the same as feeling like you don’t have energy to do even basic things, go grocery shopping, laundry, etc.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I frequently am tired in the evening but yesterday I was so tired it scared me. I'm 76 and 3 months and fairly active, I sleep good, I walk with my dogs everyday. I didn't do any partially hard work yesterday. I believe my health is good. I'm wondering if this is just the way it is. We retire because working all day is too exhausting. I do take a brief nap every afternoon, yesterday a long nap.

I'm retired three years now. I find that loss of purpose is sometimes depressing. By three I need often nap out of boredom. I find even minor projects like rebuilding a snow blower invigorating.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
We're up around 5:30 a.m. and have a very active morning including swimming 45 minutes. After lunch I completely hit the wall. I don't think I could get by without a 30 to 45 minute nap. After that I'm good till bedtime...around 9:30 or 10:00.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. The Westin A. Price Foundation has great information on eating a traditional diet, if anyone is interested. It is believed to lead to better health.

https://www.westonaprice.org/

------------------------------------------
Good grief!

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sbm...alling-legacy/

Quote:
After spending some time on the website, I realized that it is not just a cornucopia of false information about dentistry and nutrition, but is full of anti-vaccine propaganda and bizarre and dangerous health advice that could result in serious harm to patients.
The Truth About the Weston Price Foundation - Vegsource.com

Quote:
They promote a range of irresponsible and potentially dangerous ideas, including:

Butter and butter oil are our "super foods" which contain the "X factor", discovered by Weston Price.
Glandular Organ Extracts - to promote health and healing of the corresponding organ.
Poached brains of animals should be added to other ground meats for better nutrition
Raw cows milk and meat broth should be fed to newborns who don't breast feed, rather than infant formula.
Regular ingestion of clay (Azolimite Mineral Powder) because the clay particles remove pathogens from the body.
There are benefits of feeding sea salt to infants and babies
Fruits and vegetables should be limited in children's diets.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It sounds like you’re talking more about slowing down and relaxing than actually being exhausted when you haven’t even done anything. Wanting to chill out and read a book and not having the energy to run around is really not the same as feeling like you don’t have energy to do even basic things, go grocery shopping, laundry, etc.
Yes, they are quite the opposite.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:45 PM

You also are a vegan, many of whom are militantly against animal products, organic, or not. If you don't wish to eat that way, fine, go right ahead. It's your life. But it's absurd to angrily, and pridefully say the things you did intruding on others free will. You live your way, and some of the rest of us will live our way. But what we do is none of your business. Thank you for being more considerate of others.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:02 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I’m glad somebody actually reads these things. Too many crack pots out there. I won’t believe any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement