Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 PM

135 posts, read 89,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've said it before - the part I've never liked about working for someone else is having to be a certain place at a certain time every day and all but one of my jobs have been like that.
There's that. I've also hated all of the unwritten personality requirements of the workplace such as maintaining an obedient and submissive demeanor around managers, having to maintain a positive (fake happy) attitude at all times, having to hide the fact that you cannot stand someone at work even when that person is a complete jerk or idiot. All of the gossiping and petty drama that goes on in workplaces is also irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Of all the jobs I've had in my working lifetime, I only found two of them "interesting" in the sense that I looked forward to being there (or at least didn't regard it as five-day-a-week drudgery.)

The major one was also my final one; I was the production editor for two scientific journals at one of the major private genetics research laboratories. One of them is currently ranked the 4th best genetics publication worldwide, so it was fascinating but also super high stress. It wasn't the kind of job that you can punch out from at 5 pm and put onto the back burner. I was proud of it but it was exhausting and I definitely could not have done it for many more years than I did. Let's put it this way: During that job was the first time in my life that I ever had to see a cardiologist. (His advice: Give up caffeine entirely and "try to relax." I did give up caffeine.)

The other was an as-needed job in my then-husband's law practice. The upside was that I love dealing with legal documents; the downside was that his practice consisted 99% of foreclosures which is probably one of the most unpleasant aspects of the law, LOL. Or at least the most aggravating (depending on which side of the fence you're on.) The atmosphere in a small office that deals in -- as he used to put it -- "throwing widows and orphans out of their home" isn't exactly conducive to peace and tranquility. And it's not like I was getting paid for it (directly) or had a choice in the matter. Every time one of the gals either went on vacation or quit (which happened with regularity), guess who got tapped for desk duty during our son's school hours? Yeesh.

But as for all the other jobs which included insurance underwriting; insurance claims; auto dealerships twice; leasing company; finance company; one really awful stint at a collection agency just to put food on the table; accounts receivable (hated every moment but see previous note); customer service at a cable tv company (another horror); and an advertising agency (which would have been interesting if I'd ever had a chance to advance beyond file clerk status but this was a Man's World back then)? Ya can't lose interest that ya never had in the first place beyond getting that paycheck deposited, LOL

Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
I never “lived to work” but, when the office moved back east and I was sent to work from home, suddenly my job was more attractive. Attractive enough that I’m 14 months past my retirement “due date” with plans to maybe go a few more years.

Work has been and only is a means to an end. It entertains me now and I enjoy it more than ever. My reputation is excellent also. Still, I’m hoping they’ll get tired of me and offer an incentive to retire. If not, heck, I may go even longer than a few more years.

It’s all good. We’re really enjoying life these days.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
No, in fact at 67 I would go if I didn’t still have interest in my work. I still have projects to complete, people to hire and train, and several problems to solve. I still have people from other departments ask me to be on their interview panels for new hires, and ask me to be on their projects as an expert internal consultant.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
There's that. I've also hated all of the unwritten personality requirements of the workplace such as maintaining an obedient and submissive demeanor around managers, having to maintain a positive (fake happy) attitude at all times, having to hide the fact that you cannot stand someone at work even when that person is a complete jerk or idiot. All of the gossiping and petty drama that goes on in workplaces is also irritating.
I can totally relate to this. I have 2 years to go before I leave there and yes, I have less interest every day.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:12 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
I worked 110% to the final day. Never got to the RETIRED ON ACTIVE DUTY level - didn't have a job that allowed me to half-step. Felt like the world was lifted off my shoulders when I finally left the military. Don't miss most of it.

Didn't like work. Found that I didn't know how to balance work with off-duty time. Took work home, on weekends thought about it. All my own fault (personality).

So now I'm out of balance again, all play, no work. Younger retiree and I can't even get myself to paint some of the rooms that I need to paint or do some other things around the house d/t outside fun activities.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:33 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I lost interest in work when DH retired.

However, I'm still plenty interested in having discretionary funds. So I'm working in the wee hours while waiting for him to get up and get dressed so we can take my van to the dealership and have an airbag recall done.

Ooh, the exciting life of retirees.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
I struggled with osteoarthritis the last several years of my career. My job was physically demanding, so yes I lost interest. I was counting down the days. I was ready to retire and take better care of myself.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Did you lose interest in work?

Grew tired of being micromanaged by morons in the glass house, and people with iPhones recording every single thing I did. What eat a cheeseburger on tax payers time? Post that on YouTube! Plus I was arresting the grandkids of people I arrested when I first started.

So after 35 years, kinda lost interest I guess.
Oh dear, sad but funny, too. Enjoy retirement.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I had a ton of projects to do while managing a fish hatchery. We put in lot's of educational exhibits, built new ponds, installed a UV sterilizing unit for water disinfection, enhanced the hatchery grounds, built a new metal and wood shop, purchased new fish hauling trucks...the list goes on. When I reached the point that I felt I'd done all the interesting things, I begin to lose interest. I was also at the age where I could retire with full benefits. The last month or so was a struggle. Finally on March 31st, 2011 I pulled the plug!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement