Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
On a broad general basis I fully agree. This thread started out about Bethesda v Roanoke and the specifics differences in those places. When the topic widened it became .......
True, and full disclosure: I know nothing about Roanoke or Bethesda.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 12:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And I did so I was involved earlier on and retreated as it became broader. They are both now part of the greater DC cultural region. So even Roanoke is now more of a DC metro influenced small town. As the DC/NOVA/Richmond area spreads so does the cultural influence.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:26 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Which one would you want as a neighbor though?
Having given this some thought, I'd choose the chess-hustler. Why? I am not raising children, so the presence of unsavory or disreputable characters doesn't faze me. I've long-ago given up on appreciation of local residential real-estate, so a flunky neighbor with broken refrigerators on his front-porch doesn't compound the already parlous difficulties of my home-equity prospects. Being in a phase of life where one finds oneself slowing-down and reevaluating the big-picture philosophical questions, I'm attracted to a recap of a frat-boy life (not that I ever had one)... but not a "working class" frat boy life... more like Oxford/Cambridge (or what passes for such, in the imagination).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Having some familiarity with both, a summary. Roanoke is a storied town of above-average affluence, given its general locale. It is regarded in Appalachian Virginia as being snooty and pretentious... the sort of place where regional notables send their pampered daughters to private boarding-school. Compared to towns along the I-81 corridor, it is indeed larger and more prosperous. It is however still an Appalachian town.

Bethesda meanwhile is the quintessential inner-suburb of condo high-rises and costly older houses on small lots. Its enjoys (if that's the proper term) reputation as a bedroom community for GS-15 and SES government employees. It's also the HQ for Lockheed-Martin, and a slew of "beltway bandit" consultancies. It's exactly the sort of place that's excoriated in the public imagination, when talk turns to "those tone-deaf people in Washington". But Washington DC, for all of its gentrification, still has considerable poverty and gaps in infrastructure. Bethesda meanwhile was upper-middle-class since before the term existed.

Quote:
...The plumber who owns his business in Roanoke can be very different than the one who owns and lives in Reston Virginia or in the case of the OP Bethesda.
Yes, but I'd advance another kind of difference. One kind of plumber comes from a family of tradesmen. Nobody in that family much prized academic education, instead emphasizing "common sense" and "street smarts". The second kind of plumber is a former attorney from Eastern Europe. A political refugee back in the 1980s, he found it to be impossible to practice law in the US. Needing money, he reinvented himself as a tradesman, and now makes a fine living running his own plumbing-business.

The latter kind of plumber might be found in the environs of DC, NYC and so forth... but probably not in Roanoke.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:31 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I would also be concerned about local land use and other ordinances when moving into a "working class town." Are there strict ordinances for animal control, humane and ethical treatment of animals or ordinances restricting running a business, parking, frequent yard sales, VRBOs, farm animals, etc. in residential areas? And are these ordinances enforced? And there may be local customs such as having that big weekly barbecue for the extended family or to celebrate every holiday and extended family birthday with a big bash at the grandparent's house. It might be wiser to move into a newer neighborhood with an HOA and to rent first. In my area, once you move from the big city to the unincorporated county area or outlying smaller towns there are few restrictions.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I sometimes have cows in my yard, but only if they get out of the pasture fence. My neighbor's cat wanders over and eats with my cats in the yard.

HOA is the first step towards communism.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
Interesting question, OP. I live somewhat near you but have lived in lower COL cities in other parts of the country. I would urge you not to ignore crime rates. Our house in s “nice” downtown neighborhood in one of the prior locations was broken into 3 times in 4 years DESPITE our having a security system. Knock on wood, in our current “nice” neighborhood, with no system, we’ve had NO problems other than occasional spurts of car break ins where people left cars unlocked overnight. The sense of security is important, especially as we age, and/or if we are alone a lot.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:00 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Quote:
Plumbers who own their business are small business men.
I live in a middle class area of Sydney. We are retired professionals and have a nice house with water views. We used to have a doctor next door, replaced by a truckie and real estate agent. Down the road, where there are the deep water fronts, live the rich people. People who are plumbers, electricians, other tradies with successful businesses. It is good to know that it is just not here that you pay your tradies a fortune.

But, as someone noted about their area, we say hello to neighbours and that is it. Our social group is scattered about the city and nearby. Apparently it can be quite different in country towns.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
A lot of the disadvantages of these places (few living-wage jobs, poor schools, inadequate transportation, minimal nightlife) are those retirees can tolerate. Crime and lack of hospitals are a concern, though. And a few annoyances, such as truck drivers who park their tractors in the backyard. Some, such as no good airport nearby, really aren't that critical. You can travel there when you need it. Remember, you're not a frequent flyer salesman anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement