Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The fancy RVs with built-in toilets still need their so-called blackwater emptied at dump stations, which involves a foul-smelling hose, heavy rubber gloves, disinfectants, and all the fun you might associate with clearing out poop and **** and tp every few days.

Ever walked by an RV whose poop pipe is leaking? Yeah, that kind of stink.
It's not that big of a deal. Just empty the black tank first and then flush out the hose with the gray tank. It's a minor chore at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:01 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
The fancy RVs with built-in toilets still need their so-called blackwater emptied at dump stations, which involves a foul-smelling hose, heavy rubber gloves, disinfectants, and all the fun you might associate with clearing out poop and **** and tp every few days.
Oh, by the time the macerator gets through with it you can't even tell it's poop, except for the color. Once I put the hose down the drain and start the pump, I don't get close enough to smell it.

We never use tp. Baby wipes and they're sealed in a ziploc bag and tossed in the trash.

There are much worse things that can go wrong, like your tanks freezing when it drops below 32 degrees for a prolonged period. Although the really fancy RVs probably have heated tanks.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:06 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I hope you don't mind my saying this, but from your other posts it sounds like you really like where you currently live and now you have the advantage of section 8 renting. So, I'm trying to understand why you would want to lose that in order to go exploring for months or years at a time.
I can totally understand wanting to explore but that's what vacations are for. Pick a spot, travel there, stay a week or two and explore and have fun but with the knowledge that you still have a solid roof over your head and a home in a place you like.
I'm not much for excitement at the risk of losing what I have or not having a solid home foundation to always come back to.
Because my son died and I came to the realization that life isn't timeless.

He died January 11 th, 2016. It took me a long time to realize I could leave Minnesota with no guilt of leaving him.

Grief is different for everyone. But just knowing a person, or you, could be gone at any moment makes you think of the ' what ifs'.

I guess that's why I'm taking my time in making decisions. I know I'm not really in my right mind, even though it's been quite a whi!e, he's on my mind every day. It's tough to lose a child - no matter how old they are and he was 43. It was complications from diabetes, but it really doesn't matter what he died from. He's gone and that's all there is to it.

That's why.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 AM

144 posts, read 103,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

He died January 11 th, 2016. It took me a long time to realize I could leave Minnesota with no guilt of leaving him.

Grief is different for everyone. But just knowing a person, or you, could be gone at any moment makes you think of the ' what ifs'.

I guess that's why I'm taking my time in making decisions. I know I'm not really in my right mind, even though it's been quite a whi!e, he's on my mind every day. It's tough to lose a child - no matter how old they are and he was 43. It was complications from diabetes, but it really doesn't matter what he died from. He's gone and that's all there is to it.

That's why.

I'm so sorry to hear this, meo. I sincerely hope that whatever you choose to do, you find fulfillment and healing. I'm sure your son would want those things for you also.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 AM

11,789 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

That's why.
My thoughts are with you!

I've watched a lot of these vloggers and am especially impressed with women who live in campers/vans or tiny homes. My problem with a tiny home is most beds are upstairs - I'm only 62 but these knees ache every now and then from being on my feet all those work years. Thinking about having to climb up into a loft at 80 - I don't see it.

The campers are appealing but gas isn't cheap - and if I'm driving to destinations - I wouldn't just be parking and staying in one spot I'd be seeing the sights. Driving just down to visit our son in Alabama from NY costs between $85 and $100 so unless you are centrally located to the destinations you want to go to and aren't driving cross country - it could be very expensive - plus the wear and tear on your vehicle.

Most vloggers I see actually using vans as homes stay in one location so they don't have the expense of gas - plus I'm not sure how insurance costs factor in as this is now your residence - is there a difference?

Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
As I continue to plan for retirement, I struggle with all the options. Keep the house and spend my leisure time doing gardening and taking evening strolls after dinner like all the other old people? Move to Mexico or some other 3rd-world country to live an adventurous primitive life on the cheap? Invest in a decked-out van and live in any regions you want when you want with other van-lifers with similar values?

Just for fun I'm entertaining the idea of van life. Here's one of many videos that I found inspiring. This "Van Lifer" makes me think of Amy Schumer and her style of humor. Her witty remarks get better as the video goes along. In fact, most of the videos I've watched on this topic (Van Life) appeal to me in a way that living in a foreign 3rd-world country does not (I've done for a few years and decided I love living in the USA with all its issues).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9uHomLa_A

Here's another video where this DIY built a "premium" van-home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owddK_gIyPA

These are people who really love nature and people. One of the things they point out is the struggle to separate themselves from the homeless populations who also dwell along various waterfronts throughout the US. The 'Van Lifestyle' population are not derelicts of society. They are people who want to enrich and engage in life and treat the environment with respect. They socialize with others of like minds, live in the present, and coexist with nature.

The Van-Lifestyle really looks enriching and satisfying, don't ya think?
Sounds disgusting. I see those "vans" parked on the edges of shopping center parking lots with trash on the dashboard.

Cops and property owners know them immediately----freeloaders that have no ties to the community.
They live staying one step ahead of the law and being charged with trespassing.

No proper hygiene and wearing the same clothing for days.

What an existence!

Old 08-19-2019, 04:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
If the accommodations aren’t as least 4 star, I’m not interested. Consider me high maintenance. But hey, enjoy the open road.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds disgusting. I see those "vans" parked on the edges of shopping center parking lots with trash on the dashboard.

Cops and property owners know them immediately----freeloaders that have no ties to the community.
They live staying one step ahead of the law and being charged with trespassing.

No proper hygiene and wearing the same clothing for days.

What an existence!
This is not the van or RV life anyone would choose. This is what happens for those who are at bottom and cannot get by. After the 2008 recession quite a few people lost their jobs and their houses and could not even pay rent. While traveling I met quite a few people living in vans or cars. Some of the stories were just heart wrenching. Most of these people were looking for work. Some had families elsewhere they were trying to support. This was more common then than now.

Your lack of concern, your attitude and your lack of sympathy are just plain disgusting!!!

Old 08-19-2019, 07:20 AM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times
This is one of the nicest van conversions I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JORLU7-prDs

Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 AM

599 posts, read 499,042 times
Quote:

Ever walked by an RV whose poop pipe is leaking? Yeah, that kind of stink.
This is ridiculous. I live in a 34' motorhome for about half of every year. Once you are set up to stay for a few days, you need to mosey on out and pull a handle on the grey or black tank valves, every so often. As for the "foul smelling hose, heavy rubber gloves" Pleeeease. You put on a pair of $ 0.10 disposable gloves, hook-up the hose, pull the dump valve, and your done. You make it sound FAR, FAR more dramatic and gross that it really is. You don't lick the hose.

There is a world of difference between walking past ANY source of open sewage, an enjoying an RV. That's just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement