Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:20 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend McMenamin's hotels (refurbished schools, sleeping hotels, masonic/elk lodges). If in Portland Oregon. McMenamins is the premier craft brewer in Oregon and music venue. My train to Seattle got cancelled out of Portland and I ended up at the McMenamins Crystal Hotel. Temp was 96 in PDX, this is very warm for PDX and I didn't want a Hilton style of room or ambiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 11:54 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
I traveled alone several times in my working years. The first time made the biggest impression. I was sent to a week long training session and stayed in San Jose, CA. The only other attendee lived nearby with her kids, so I was on my own most of the time. The hotel was an extended stay suite with a fireplace. I was in my mid-thirties, leaving behind DH, a teenager, pets and all of my routine responsibilities. OMG, the freedom, what a revelation! Someone other than me preparing meals and cleaning my suite was my idea of heaven on earth at that time.

I rented a car and drove down to Half Moon Bay to have dinner by myself and met a delightful woman and daughter at the table next to mine. They invited me to a concert later in San Francisco, but my flight left that day. I went to Fisherman’s Wharf to see the sailors and drove across the Golden Gate and got lost in Sausalito. It was the best week!

As far as traveling alone now, I’m not as fearless as I used to be and wouldn’t if given a choice.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-28-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-28-2019, 12:34 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
Hey, if one wants to travel alone, one can do it any time ;-)

For me, it's more fun to share my travel experience with another person or a small group of compatible travel companions.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:44 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
I love it! I've done several cross-country trips on my own when I've moved to a different location. When I lived in Las Vegas and Seattle, I'd frequently make trips to national parks on my own to do hiking. Although I have a partner now and she also loves to travel, I still enjoy taking trips on my own.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:59 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Hey, if one wants to travel alone, one can do it any time ;-)

For me, it's more fun to share my travel experience with another person or a small group of compatible travel companions.
yea - love traveling in a little group with my siblings. We laugh and talk the whole way.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:48 PM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
IDK, I guess I'm just an oddball (am I really, though?).

Whenever I travel some place by myself, if I like it, I always think "I gotta come back here with so-and-so" (the so-and-so differs depending on the situation, whether it's my wife, one or both of my kids, or a friend). Sharing an experience is half the fun of having it, no?
I don't know. I've never really had anyone to share these experiences with.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:59 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Amtrack stops at the historic La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ. I stayed there for a night when driving to Utah and enjoyed it. The restaurant, The Turquoise Room, is great too. While taking the train to the La Posada would be fun, it stops/leaves there about 7 am which is rather early for me.
I had one of the best meals I can remember there. I stayed in the Victor Mature room. Most rooms are named for movie stars who stayed there while filming westerns.

There's the same Hollywood actor connection at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:27 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Turning up the music and singing at the top of your lungs.

Stopping by the side of the road and taking pictures of cactus flowers.

Listening to an audio book and not having to clear it with anyone else. I'll admit, I loved this:

And being free to do whatever the hell you want.

My MIL gave me a mug that says:

We are a Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women

I kept it tucked away after she died but now I'm going to take it on solo road trips with me so I can have her with me in spirit.

Do you enjoy traveling alone?

While being in a wonderful relationship with another person has it's benefits and is great, it is also terrific to have time to yourself. I've been out of a relationship for the past 14 years now, and would run like a scared bunny if someone wanted to be involved with me again.

I get up when I want, I go to bed when I want, I eat when and what I want, I do what I want (or sometimes do nothing at all ! ) I spend as much money as I want, and no one is there to consider or who is prodding me to do something else.

Don't get me wrong, I loved every relationship I had, but now it is ME TIME !

Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I loved every relationship I had, but now it is ME TIME !

Woo hoo!

Old 08-28-2019, 04:04 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
I've traveled alone and with others but traveling alone was much more fun for me. There's a certain quality in traveling without needing to get a consensus from others as to where to go, eat, stop and find things to do.
My best adventure was traveling to Europe by myself. It was wonderful. I did it a second time with someone else, and it wasn't so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement