Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 03:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times

Advertisements

I have yet to meet anyone who has lived a truly charmed life that was never touched by loss, sorrow, misfortune, etc. That being said, depending your perspective on life we could all be considered losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 05:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who has lived a truly charmed life that was never touched by loss, sorrow, misfortune, etc. That being said, depending your perspective on life we could all be considered losers.
Yes I was touches by those things, but my "charmed life" gave me the balance and positivity to set them aside and move on to be what I could be.

Baseball manager Tony LaRussa, after losing a game on a bad call by an umpire, said "You have to be good enough to win despite the bad calls".

Old 11-16-2019, 08:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t know why people have to be thought of as “winners” or losers....
I think it is because our national culture had traditionally seen life in those terms, and behind this is the foundational Christian religious culture which sees people as saved or damned.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM

962 posts, read 612,806 times
I don't know if someone is a loser until they tell me they are a liberal.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:49 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I don't know if someone is a loser until they tell me they are a liberal.
Tells me a lot about you. Please take your politics to the politics forum. It really doesn’t belong here.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I prefer fortunate and not so fortunate. What if you’re a winner and don’t share your good fortunes with those not so fortunate, what does that make you?

We support my MIL 100 financially. I could take the view that she is preventing us from retiring. That’s a glass half empty. I prefer to be extremely thankful that we have the means, we both love our jobs and it would be awful to live so well while allowing her to live on literally rice and beans.
Oh, yes!

Old 11-16-2019, 07:06 PM

16,074 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No. Neither. No one loses in everything and no one wins in everything. Age has nothing to do with it.
Pretty much hits it for me. I've won some things, lost some things. Haven't ever really sat down and tried to calculate if I won more often than I lost. I am aware that my life so far could have gone better, but it could have gone worse too.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
After, say, 50, or in retirement, does it make sense to consider yourself and others winners or losers in life?
Question bothers me.
What is a loser, anyway? Someone who has never done anything much?
Drug addict? Or someone, like myself, who has not achieved their life goals and expectations
Such as marriage, or admirable LTR, career job satisfaction? I have not achieved that, having failed to get really good well paying jobs--- and love. Only lost love.
Some say loners and weirdos are losers (unfairly) and some
say if you lost all your money, bankrupt. Not to mention criminal types.
What makes you a winner? Big success, nice family?
This is bound and determined by culture because western values differ from the poorest nations.

Does happiness make you a winner? What you think?
I don't think this way (judging who is a "winner" and who is a "loser") at age 52, and have not at any age so far. I can't imagine that I will suddenly begin at some point.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The only winners are the ones that think of themselves that way and vice versa.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:06 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
The worst things that have happened to me, years later, make great stretchers when told before a dying fire, and we laugh at them now. Learned something from them all, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement