Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

We want a place with very low humidity. We are leaving Saturday to go visit Reno, Albuquerque, Las Cruces & El Paso to see which we will retire to next year.

I would love to know how your search goes. These are places I have been considering, too.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I would consider a place with little-no humidity to have "good weather" (unlike eastern Massachusetts, where I currently live).
However, I am also thinking of being old-old, and not wanting to be more car-dependent than I am right here, and having access to good medical care. Of course, living costs matter, too.
If I were to pick an urban area (to cut down on car needs or eliminate them) I'd pick Denver, I think. The weather in Albuquerque is certainly very good, by my tastes, but I think I'd get tired of so much *brown*.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 PM

423 posts, read 1,532,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
One of the places I was considering was arizonia,I have family out there.
I have been there a couple of times,the last time I went out there was In
july 05,couldn't stand the heat,they say it's a dry heat but 118 is 118.
I realized I liked the 4 seasons better,so decided on PA.
AZ taxes are some of the highest in the country

Old 05-23-2008, 09:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
We just made a "pre-retirement" move from RI to Cary, NC. Our criteria:
East Coast
Change of seasons
More temperate climate
University/large medical centers nearby (we're both in healthcare)
More affordable housing

We've been here just over a month and absolutely LOVE it.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
About 10 miles west of Benson just off of I-10.
We're at 4,200 feet (compared to Tucsons' 2,400 feet).

Thanks for such a complete post. It is good you are pleased with the location and from my time in El Paso I am familiar with the high desert environment.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
When Parade Magazine asked the same question several years ago the criteria used was the number of heating and cooling days across the nation...

The winner is Oakland CA... with the best climate two outta twelve months each year... no other metropolitan area ranked better.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 AM

450 posts, read 2,056,802 times
Wink Warmer but low humidity=Big moolah--$$$

Am I a party pooper or what? I grew up in Minnesota and nearly froze to death. I started seeking warmer climates--Hawaii, Arizona, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana--one thing I discovered is that the places with warmer climates and lower humidity have pretty much been discovered and cost so much that you have to compromise on your housing--smaller lots or just a condo with no privacy and definitely not waterfront.

Oakland was mentioned--nice maritime climate--but the Bay Area is some of the most expensive digs, ever. San Diego? Great Mediterranean climate. My multi-millionaire Auntie lives there out on Del Coronado. She can afford it.

I was intrigued by the poster who mentioned the inland town on Oahu at a bit higher elevation. Yes, that is an option. But the house must be tiny and that is really a pretty long bus ride into Honolulu! Would get old--especially if you were a bit older. But I will always say nice things about Hawaii. So I am glad someone found a good place there.

I have land in Louisiana and it is cheap there and lots of good waterfront--Toledo Bend Lake. But it is hot and humid for a good part of the year. I have a place on Oklahoma's Grand Lake--some humidity there and ice storms. I pick places on bigger lakes with prevailing winds in the Summer to get some breeze.

From Seattle to Portland to San Francisco you get a cooler maritime climate that is invigorating--but a bit rainey. But it costs big bucks.

I lived in Paradise Valley, Arizona with the aforementioned wealthy aunt for awhile. There are still a few isolated spots in the Southwest that are cheaper but they are just that--isolated--and I will accept humidity to get some more greenery.

So, I am residing in the Southland--humidity and all. At least I don't freeze to death. Oh, where is it cooler, here? Well in the mountains of North Carolina or along the coast--and, of course, that costs big money, now. So my thesis is best climate generally means bigger bucks and sacrificing with a downsized home or little privacy to achieve it if you are just an ordinary Joe and Jane.

All that said, follow your climate dream! Have a friend who is locating on the Puna coast area of the Big Island of Hawaii--but it is pretty isolated--but cheaper--but not as cheap as Toledo Bend Lake in Louisiana! Let the Good Tmes Roll!--that is what the Cajuns say.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 AM

423 posts, read 1,532,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When Parade Magazine asked the same question several years ago the criteria used was the number of heating and cooling days across the nation...

The winner is Oakland CA... with the best climate two outta twelve months each year... no other metropolitan area ranked better.
As global warming gets at its worst all of the bay are some 15 miles in will be under water as all coastal towns will be

Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
I've been researching retirement places for the last few years. We want lots of sunshine, warm weather all year round (because I'm cold when the temperature dips below 70), a non-desert location, and real trees. After visiting numerous states and communities we've decided to move to Florida. I know it sounds cliche, but I love how I feel when I'm in Florida, it has no state income tax, it has 242 sunny days per year vs the 137 we have where I currently live, there are real trees, I have family there, and it's warm to hot all year long so I'll be able to be outside without getting cold.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
Good for you, but keep an eye out for skin cancer. The sun factor is accumulative.
Find a good Dermatologist and have regular whole body checkups.

Silverfox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement