Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:14 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Dreams - absolutely. Very odd. Six months later - still thinking about the work setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Let me tell you, time really flies starting the day after retirement. I was in your shoes last June. Now its already December and those days seem so long ago. I've purposely not contacted my former employees to see how things are going - had to cut the cord. I'm sure they're doing well. Everyone can be replaced.

Good luck.
BucFan is correct. Time flies when you're retired--at least it does for my husband and me. Neither of us have contacted our former employer either, and everyday we look at each other, smile, and realize that we're really retired and can do what we want when we want. I'm sure the school we taught at is doing just fine without us. BucFan said it all, "Everyone can be replaced."

Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 AM

70 posts, read 263,222 times
Tesaje-
It will be a Happy New Year! Fireworks for your retirement. You will go out in style!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Thanks all! That's right! All those fireworks will be just for me!

That's what I've been telling the people I'll leave behind - no one is irreplaceable. You'll keep on going without me. Their main problem is whether they will hold the vacancy for a long time. Being short-handed is no fun. But that won't be my problem.

I just got taken out for coffee by a couple of friends.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM

While at Barnes and Noble today, ran across this retirement planning book - author discussed how to calculate your financial needs for retirement - here's a link the the author's online discussion.

Thought it would be interesting to retirees who are concerned about their finances.

http://spwfe.fpanet.org:10005/public...ncial%20He.pdf

Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Today is my last day of work. I turn in all my electronics and badge about midday and finish cleaning out my office and computer. I've slept very poorly these last few days. I guess I'm pretty excited and all the things I have to do in this short period keep rolling around my mind. So, I've come in early and stayed late. My last few hours of unpaid overtime, LOL. I woke up to snow falling and freezing rain at the office. It figures. Gotta get those last few lousy commutes in so I can appreciate not doing them next year. I got my retirement papers in the mail this week. She sends me a copy when she sends them to the finance center to close me out.

So, a long chapter in my life closes and I walk into a new chapter tomorrow (tho technically, I'm still employed tomorrow).

Let the reinvention of me begin....

Old 12-31-2009, 04:52 AM

Exciting times. I had the same sleeplessness problem as well. Now, six months later, some of the best sleep in my life - no worries or work problems stirring around in you head -

Congratulations. Well deserved. Must be a nice feeling to get to a comfortable retirement after years and years of dedication, hard work, saving money.

Drive safe on those icy roads-

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 AM

24 posts, read 63,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Today is my last day of work. I turn in all my electronics and badge about midday and finish cleaning out my office and computer. I've slept very poorly these last few days. I guess I'm pretty excited and all the things I have to do in this short period keep rolling around my mind. So, I've come in early and stayed late. My last few hours of unpaid overtime, LOL. I woke up to snow falling and freezing rain at the office. It figures. Gotta get those last few lousy commutes in so I can appreciate not doing them next year. I got my retirement papers in the mail this week. She sends me a copy when she sends them to the finance center to close me out.

So, a long chapter in my life closes and I walk into a new chapter tomorrow (tho technically, I'm still employed tomorrow).

Congratulations Tesaje...enjoy your new found freedom..I go back to work in a week or so for my last semester a a full time prof...after that up to 3 years of part time since I've decided to go on the "phased plan" for now...Happy new year as well.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Today is my last day of work.

Congratulations!

I just finished signing off on an exit checklist for one of our employees whose last day is today. Actaully, she's leaving at noon as you are.

In a couple of months, it will be my turn to walk around with the checklist ...and then to walk out of the building as well!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM

126 posts, read 161,767 times
Default Congratulations

Quote:

The very best to you. I've been following this thread for the year, and it's been very good. I will follow in you wake in exactly 2 years - 12/31/2011. Can't wait to particpate in my own "Last year" thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement