Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,265,436 times

Advertisements

To all you soon to be retired folks - WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! Just clocked my 3rd year and life is great. Enjoy and best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,284,735 times
The Retire-O-Meter now reads 5!! WOOP! WOOP!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM

955 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I'm going out February 28th, my first day of eligibility. My townhouse here in Upper Marlboro, MD goes on the market Tuesday. I'll be moving to my place next door to my mom on Topsail Island, NC. I'm a bit nervous about the real estate market, but it's time for me to go.
Topsail is a great place, we've vacationed there 2 summers. We have our reservations in for the summer of 2010. I think the actual population, not counting "tourists" is a little over 700. Great for vacation, but I think probably to quiet for me off season.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 AM

955 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Can we start one for 2011? thats me
Let me know when the 2011 thread gets started. If eveything goes well, the wife and I will be headed south that summer!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM

86 posts, read 171,915 times
Another 2010 retiree checking in (hopefully). I haven't turned in my papers yet, but I plan on setting date sometime in the second half of the year.

I'm looking forward to reading how all the soon to be retirees in FEB & MAR manage their transition into retirement. The whole moving from the working world to the non working world is proving to bigger psychological hurdle than I thought it would be

Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,049,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
Another 2010 retiree checking in (hopefully). I haven't turned in my papers yet, but I plan on setting date sometime in the second half of the year.

I'm looking forward to reading how all the soon to be retirees in FEB & MAR manage their transition into retirement. The whole moving from the working world to the non working world is proving to bigger psychological hurdle than I thought it would be
Welcome to **our** thread!

I agree that it can be a difficult transition. In addition to retiring, I am also in the process of buying a house and moving across the country from D.C. to Las Vegas. I originally set my retirement date for Feb. 3rd and the closing on our new house for Feb 5th, but decided that it would be too difficult to transition out of the office and plan the move at the same time. So, I've decided to work one additional month and retire March 3rd. The additional month will give me more time to ensure a smooth transition in our office as well as give me a chance to take care of some personal issues, such as visit all of my doctors one last time and get copies of all of my pertinent records to take with me to Nevada.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,486,597 times
Welcome, Raisuli! I hope that, when the time comes, it wont be as much a psychological hurdle as you anticipate.

Do you have plans for your retirement days? Some people need to keep busy and others dont want any part of "busy" in their lives ever again. The key to "successful" retirement is finding out what pleases/fulfills you and doing it. I know one retired couple who spend their days watching TV. Some people may think that's sad or unfulfilling but this couple enjoys it. Who are we to criticize? They both worked hard all their lives and are now doing what they want to do.

This forum has a lot of suggestions about how to spend your days in retirement. And there are lots of people who will sympathize with you and offer suggestions when you're having doubts about the future.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM

42 posts, read 186,904 times
I am now officially a member of the 2010 Retirement Club. Well, maybe just a junior member as I plan to continue working part-time.

Since 1972, I have worked six days a week (seven days during busy seasons) and averaged 55-60 hours per week. Many weeks I put in >80 hours. No Saturdays off...many 12 hour work days...and guess what...I'm tired! Tired of working so much and missing so many things that life away from the workplace has to offer.

My wife is a few years younger than I and will continue full time employment (a normal 8-5, Mon-Fri schedule) with full benefits provided for both of us. I plan on working about 20 hours per week for my present employer for a couple of years until she's ready to retire.

Feb. 27th will be my last day of full time employment. I'm really looking forward to working only 20-25 hours a week. And no more Saturdays or Sundays! There is so much I've missed. This retirement forum has had a tremendous influence on my decision. Thanks to everyone!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
This is the year for Mrs. Tek. Either July or the end of the year, depending. I've been semi-retired for a number of years and will likely remain working for a while. I have severely cut back on the amount of work I do, but the extra money is nice.

We are planning on travel with the goal to find our retirement location. Winters are going to be a thing of the past for us. This year really brought that home.

We keep looking Southeast and South-Central as we like green and warm. We considered the west, but so much of it is desert and we just can't bring ourselves to think of that environment as attractive. On top of that Mrs. Tek had a really bad allergic reaction in September when we were in Phoenix. Not good.

We think we're ready, but doubts keep surfacing about staying busy. We do not want to be one of those couples that end up sitting around doing nothing in retirement. We would go crazy!!! We know we have plenty of things to keep ourselves busy, but will it be enough? We are going to find out.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM

414 posts, read 702,943 times
Good luck to you and Mrs Tek. I was told when I visited Arizonia that they have many folks there with allergy problems. The area attracked people who wanted to escape to the desert and leave their allergy problems back east, but they brought all their favorite plants along and planted them in the desert, setting off their allergies. Then they married fellow allergy sufferers and had children with allergy problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement