Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
So "entitlement programs" (which are actually being CUT) BAD. Crushing poverty, less bad! Got it.
Well- that is the conservative agenda- "every man for himself" and "freedom" to do anything that benefits oneself regardless of societal detriment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Anything jump out at you here:

Most taxed states: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Per capita.

The link with "Free Lunch"etc. is "Free Lunch Eligible". Not $ spent . It is obvious; the results are based on the size and population numbers of the state, thus: California #1, Texas #2, etc.

Very odd. My house in TX had higher taxes than my house in RI. Property taxes are based on 3% of purchase price of house. Houses purchased many years ago, eventually get reevaluated, and end up paying the higher rates as well. TX property tax is high. It is also loaded with, "undocumented" people, with lots of children filling the schools.

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Very odd. My house in TX had higher taxes than my house in RI. Property taxes are based on 3% of purchase price of house. Houses purchased many years ago, eventually get reevaluated, and end up paying the higher rates as well. TX property tax is high. It is also loaded with, "undocumented" people, with lots of children filling the schools.

You can check the up to date current tax rates in RI right here: www.riliving.com click on "about RI and see "tax rates". This is not my opinion, RI property taxes are high. #14 in the nation vs. TX #50 in the nation if you read the caption is: total tax burden, not total property tax burden.

Example: Town of Barrington is probably the highest property tax town in the state.

Example: House in TX sale price $400K = @3% would be $1,200 per year. Pretty reasonable by RI standards.

Example: House in RI sale price $400K @ town tax value, approx. $8,000 per year anywhere in the state.

I have given several examples in other posts on here if you want to check them. But the above link is the Rhode Island Realtors MLS public view of the RI MLS system. You can check any house in any town, and click on "amenities and features" link and get the current taxes.

Quick examples: House in Cumberland (nice area) assessed $300K, property taxes are approx. $4500.
That same house in Barrington would be about $400K.
My friend's home in Johnston, cute, simple ranch w/garage, area is so-so:
assessed at $175,000. Her taxes are $4400. (She can't afford to live there anymore, moving south.) what can I say.

In order to compare your old house in TX with same house in RI, if possible, you have to crunch all the numbers and the amenities and then go to total tax burden to compare.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,083 times
Here are the numbers. You can click on the link for 2011, scroll to the right and see where people move to and from one year ago...or you can continue to beat this dead horse. People come and go, largely from Massachusetts and Florida, as well as the other regions like CT, NY. So basically it is family/retirement/jobs, as to be expected. Give or take population trends and death rates, it's probably pretty much the same from year to year, decade to decade. People don't base their final decision on 'poor state image'.

Geographical Mobility/Migration - State-to-State Migration Flows - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

It will be more interesting to see what will happen when the baby-boomers are no longer with us. Will their retirement homes be filled with Indian and Hispanic immigrants. Places in the Midwest lose population en masse and become ghost towns. Or will that happen then in RI too?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:

Example: House in TX sale price $400K = @3% would be $1,200 per year. Pretty reasonable by RI standards.

Example: House in RI sale price $400K @ town tax value, approx. $8,000 per year anywhere in the state.
The comment was purely on property taxes - not overall tax burden.

Both the above examples are wrong, esp if Texas reassesses at every transfer.
Texas has a high property tax. But don't take my word for it-check out their own forum.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
[quote=massnative71;29484926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post

Please stop generalizing the entire SE based on your experience in the Tampa Bay area, a place that is only really half Southern.
Please stop assuming I haven't been all over the SE multiple times. In fact, please stop doing a lot of things. An awful lot of things.

The fact of the matter is, if you take Florida out of your equation, your argument gets even more ridiculous. FL is light years ahead of most of the South. (Sadly.)

Last edited by Rnrboy; 05-09-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Well- that is the conservative agenda- "every man for himself" and "freedom" to do anything that benefits oneself regardless of societal detriment.
And of course the irony is that eventually it actually bites them in the arse. You can't benefit forever in a crumbling society, because eventually even those at the top do worse. (Although many of those at the top are smart enough to vote Democrat. The dumbest part is that without the Southern White working class voting against their own economic interests, there would be no GOP.)

Last edited by Rnrboy; 05-09-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:

Actually, the 400K house in TX is $12,000 per year.

It might be difficult to figure RI property tax since the homestead discount isn't usually listed.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
Sandsonik,
You are dead-on in your posts about the south, as say compared to Rhode Island.
I live in Ga. & the political climate here overall is repressive & heavy-handed as wielded by state officials & the joke of a corrupt & disfunctional legislature.
I'm a transplant to here as of 35 years ago & would never have moved down here if I'd known how much I would despise the state (& by extension it's neighbors.. in particular South Carolina) if I'd known what I was going to eventually think of the state & the region.
I am white but I can't believe how some people down here proudly wear their sense of white entitlement & pious religiousness so broadly & vividly on their shoulder!
When I retire I'm out of here & headed north.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Atler8, we will welcome you with open arms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island