Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times

Advertisements

Thanks there Rnr...
I have visted Rhode Island twice briefly but was astonished by the beauty I saw at the rugged coastline coming in east from Westerly & also by the dancing whitecaps on Narragansett Bay.
I sent my mom a post card that was post marked "Providence". Later I saw it on her refrigerator once & remarked about it. She told me that she had saved it because she liked the scene on it & the postal cancellation that read "Providence".
Years later after she had passed away & I was sorting out her apartment, I found the post card & saved it as a momento or both her and Rhode Island.

Your state is a beautiful treasure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The comment was purely on property taxes - not overall tax burden.

Both the above examples are wrong, esp if Texas reassesses at every transfer.
Texas has a high property tax. But don't take my word for it-check out their own forum.

As it so happens, I am well versed in the property taxes in Rhode Island. Not Texas. If you are well versed in TX property taxes where the poster resided, have at it. I'm not checkig out their forum, not in the least bit interested. But thanks for your input.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Thanks there Rnr...
I have visted Rhode Island twice briefly but was astonished by the beauty I saw at the rugged coastline coming in east from Westerly & also by the dancing whitecaps on Narragansett Bay.
I sent my mom a post card that was post marked "Providence". Later I saw it on her refrigerator once & remarked about it. She told me that she had saved it because she liked the scene on it & the postal cancellation that read "Providence".
Years later after she had passed away & I was sorting out her apartment, I found the post card & saved it as a momento or both her and Rhode Island.

Your state is a beautiful treasure!
Come back soon!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Actually, the 400K house in TX is $12,000 per year.

It might be difficult to figure RI property tax since the homestead discount isn't usually listed.

9162: when you look at the RI tax table, you will see that not every city or town gives a homestead exemption. At the bottom of the page, there is a "footnote" list of how to figure the exemptions. Some cities and towns only have an exemption for the elderly; some only have exemptions for homestead if you have lived there for more than "x" amount of years; and so on.

If the $400K house in TX is $12K per year, is it a similar house with the same square footage, land area, apples to apples, etc.? If so, yes, that's alotta coconuts. All of these parameters as you know will go into the assessment. Check the sq. ftg. of the houses on RILiving Dot Com and do the math. I have no knowledge about TX real estate taxes by county or area and would not profess to even give a guess.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM

23,606 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
So "entitlement programs" (which are actually being CUT) BAD. Crushing poverty, less bad! Got it.
Those who have been in this area a while will tell you that the high welfare spending has not reduced poverty, improved the economy or anything else about the state. If fact, much more so the opposite.

Quote:
If you are willing to go through the other posts on here that have absolutely nothing to do with outward migration (in fact one person espousing that argument then contradictingly claims tons of degenerates are actually move in here), I'll be willing to take you a little more seriously.
The topic of conversation is of Net Domestic Departing Migration. With the word "net", that means the number of inbound domestic migrants minus the number of outbound domestic migrants. There may be people moving into RI, but there are a heck of a lot more moving out (as is supported by the US Census data). Unfortunately those moving in tend to be of a much lower caliber than the ones they are replacing. My claim is in no way contradictory to this and absolutely is related to the thread. It is relevant for analysis of not only the migration trends, but also which factors are making the state less attractive to productive newcomers (and encouraging current ones to leave)..

Quote:

Please stop assuming I haven't been all over the SE multiple times. In fact, please stop doing a lot of things. An awful lot of things.

The fact of the matter is, if you take Florida out of your equation, your argument gets even more ridiculous. FL is light years ahead of most of the South. (Sadly.)
What is this you would like me so stop?

What's wrong, the neighborhood bully doesn't like being challenged?

As a born and bred New Englander, I would never degrade the rest of the south by lumping it in with the cesspool that is much of FL (particularly SE FL, but Tampa Bay and Orlando I give no honorable mention to). I enjoy my visits there, but it in no way feels like the South in a way comparable to TN or the Carolinas. Not the North either, it's just sort of bizarre. Could never live there. In TN you hear the term "Floridiot" a lot, especially in reference to the "Halfback's" driving habits. FL is tops in crime, drugs, unemployment, foreclosures, illegals, and all other filth. Tell me how that is "light years ahead of the rest of the South"?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,200,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
There may be people moving into RI, but there are a heck of a lot more moving out (as is supported by the US Census data). Unfortunately those moving in tend to be of a much lower caliber than the ones they are replacing.
Come on now. There's no way you can back that absurd statement up. Not only can you not back it up factually, you can't even back it up anecdotally, since you can't possibly know everyone who's moving in or out of the state.

And "caliber" is subjective.

That damn Taylor Swift though - I'll give you that one, mighty poor caliber there.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM

33 posts, read 49,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Those who have been in this area a while will tell you that the high welfare spending has not reduced poverty, improved the economy or anything else about the state. If fact, much more so the opposite.
Thank you! Absolutely agree!! The notion that current liberal policies are the only solution to poverty is ridiculous.
Rnrboy's notion that it's as black and white as entitlement programs vs crushing poverty as if those are the only two factors or choices is even more ridiculous.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
Rhode Island is an exception to the rule. Most liberal states are teeming with wealth, as has already been pointed out, and they pay the tax bills for the poor states in the South. Mass Native himself admits that poverty is more of a problem in the South. Stop contradicting yourselves and people would take you more seriously.

Who has money? New York or Oklahoma? Massachusetts or Alabama? Connecticutt or Mississippi? No contest.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 49,930 times
Quote:
Rhode Island is an exception to the rule. Most liberal states are teeming with wealth, as has already been pointed out, and they pay the tax bills for the poor states in the South. Mass Native himself admits that poverty is more of a problem in the South. Stop contradicting yourselves and people would take you more seriously.

Who has money? New York or Oklahoma? Massachusetts or Alabama? Connecticutt or Mississippi? No contest.
So we had it backwards! By your argument Democrats really are the party of the rich and elite while Republicans are really the party of the people.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island