Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Good analysis. But it would be a mistake for the septuagenarian and sick-looking old 73 year old Cianci to want to be seen next to the 37 year old Elorza. Cianci is about 36 years older than Elorza, or nearly four decades.

Twice convicted elderly, frail felon vs. a young, hot, and liberal judge. LOL!
It went from Cianci's to lose to Elorza's to lose. I'm just not sure how quick on his feet Elorza is. Buddy is VERY quick with smart, memorable one liners.

Last edited by independent man; 09-10-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
It went from Cianci's to loose to Elorza's to loose. I'm just not sure how quick on his feet Elorza is. Buddy is VERY quick with smart, memorable one liners.
Yeah, his "Big Dipper" "Little Dipper" quote was pretty witty and amusing. But there's nothing amusing about a 12.5% unemployment rate in PVD, or anything funny about this creaky, authentic city's myriad issues -- really tough ones -- that the next mayor has to puzzle out. So a couple of yuk-yuks by Big Buddy will be entertaining to some, perhaps, but people will want to hear more about (gasp!) integrity, and you know, balancing a budget, something Cianci seems to have struggled with in a roaring economy! Cianci is going to humiliate himself -- it's his destiny. As Emerson said, and I agree: "Every hero becomes a bore at last."

Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 PM

Cianci's initial role in the continuing city pension crisis may well be his downfall. Compounding colas started with his admin. Tavares may have kept us out of Bankruptcy at the time. But, the wolves are still at the door and he left without finishing the job.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Cianci's initial role in the continuing city pension crisis may well be his downfall. Compounding colas started with his admin. Tavares may have kept us out of Bankruptcy at the time. But, the wolves are still at the door and he left without finishing the job.
For the love of God and the last place Boston Red Sox , IM, and ebbybody, it's Taveras.

Yes, the wolves are at the door. We need a city income tax -- haven't run the numbers, maybe I will in the morning on Commuter Rail -- but we need money. Now.

You know, things cost what they cost. I paid mad tax money in Manhattan, but I figured, well, that's the table stakes. Bloomberg, apart from being an elitist right-wing control freak, knew how to run a city, so I figured I was paying about what I should to enjoy a certain quality of life for all New Yorkers. Is Providence's government less (or more) efficient than other cities? I don't know, but it's probably about average. So, you know, you want a certain quality of life? Pony up.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM

You want to send running out what's left of the middle income homeowners in Providence, just add another tax to their burden.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
You want to send running out what's left of the middle income homeowners in Providence, just add another tax to their burden.
Okay! It's subtraction time, an opportunity to separate the cliches from reality: What would you cut?

I lived in Manhattan when 5,000 cops were laid off, and the result can be read in "The Bronx Is Burning." Taxes were soon raised, and guess what? The city came back.

What would you cut, as you reject adding? (You know, and this isn't an attack, it's an observation, but everyone says taxes are too high, but tell me how to lower costs; that would make for an interesting conversation.)

Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
This endorsement by the "Providence Journal" (so-called) of Elorza is really
beyond the pale. Look at the way they mention Buddy Cianci. It's just unfathomable
that a man who ran the Capitol City for 20 YEARS is mentioned this way.

Editorial: Elorza for mayor | Opinion - Rhode Islanders speak out on issues | Providence Journal

by the way, Alfie... Elorza worked on Wall Street too.
maybe you should re-consider a vote for the Budd-I.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
This endorsement by the "Providence Journal" (so-called) of Elorza is really
beyond the pale. Look at the way they mention Buddy Cianci. It's just unfathomable
that a man who ran the Capitol City for 20 YEARS is mentioned this way.

Editorial: Elorza for mayor | Opinion - Rhode Islanders speak out on issues | Providence Journal

by the way, Alfie... Elorza worked on Wall Street too.
maybe you should re-consider a vote for the Budd-I.

Totally agree, plus the fact that there is not one convincing argument as to why this Elorza guy should have the keys the city. We all saw how it worked last time, with a "Hope and Change" new kid on the block with similarly lacking credentials getting elected to a very high office. Nice heart warming story about an immigrant who's an inspiration to fellow minorities and disadvantaged. True, maybe he has a big heart and wishes big for Providence. But what experience does he have relevant to serving as mayor? It's a very non-pretty, dirty job. Providence has no time for a lightweight here. Buddy is still the best bet.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Totally agree, plus the fact that there is not one convincing argument as to why this Elorza guy should have the keys the city. We all saw how it worked last time, with a "Hope and Change" new kid on the block with similarly lacking credentials getting elected to a very high office. Nice heart warming story about an immigrant who's an inspiration to fellow minorities and disadvantaged. True, maybe he has a big heart and wishes big for Providence. But what experience does he have relevant to serving as mayor? It's a very non-pretty, dirty job. Providence has no time for a lightweight here. Buddy is still the best bet.
So I take it you didn't vote for the felony-free judge for the Democratic nomination as Mayor of Providence. So, who did you vote for? I vote at Hope High. Crowded at 7pm! You know, the "brie and cheese" crowd. Where did you vote in PVD? Was it crowded?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
So I take it you didn't vote for the felony-free judge for the Democratic nomination as Mayor of Providence. So, who did you vote for? I vote at Hope High. Crowded at 7pm! You know, the "brie and cheese" crowd. Where did you vote in PVD? Was it crowded?

You can count your blessings I don't vote in PVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island