Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
that really is a ridiculous quip. no idea what he was thinking with that.
you know it's true that a growing percentage of city dwellers in PVD
have no recollection of the Cianci years. They either weren't here
or were too young. The city was a safer place. Cianci's police dept
was absolutely first class and saved many many lives.. it was head & shoulders
above the terribly inept and crime-hiding police dept under David Ciccilline.
For the record "he" is a "she".

I don't see how the police force could change so radically due to Cicilline's election. You're telling me that the whole force up and quit? Even after being promoted based on tests they were given the results to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I don't know who owns "golocalprov" but i have a bone to pick with this
article by Ric Santurri. One is descriptive and the other is strategic.
GoLocalProv | Ric Santurri: Behind the Numbers in the Providence Mayoral Election

1. Descriptive. sentence: "Federal Hill is so different that many of the newcomers even renamed it as the West Side, a funky mix of students, hipsters, artists, progressives, gays, Latinos, and the remaining Italians."

Really. No, really ? I thought the West Side was the West Side, not Federal Hill. Does
anyone who has lived in, lives in, or knows anything about Providence really call
Federal Hill anything but Federal Hill or The Hill ?
Federal Hill and West End aren't interchangeable, IMO. Federal Hill is just one neighborhood within the West End - like Wayland Square is to the East Side. He is right that the Hill isn't particularly Italian anymore despite all the Italian restaurants. And there are fewer of them than there used to be as Japanese, Thai, Indian, Mexican and others get added to the mix. The hipster presence is less commercially noticeable on Atwells than on Broadway and the streets in between Westminster and Broadway, or the Armory district.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just because one is a public figure, does not give you the right to drag one's name through the mud like that with those derogatory (and false) statements. Shame on you big time.

You are technically correct about the assault, but I don't think most men would have acted much differently under those circumstances.
Oh, I disagree and I give mankind much more credit than you. They'd been separated two years (at least), and were legally divorced. Buddy admits he screwed around on his wife the entire time he was married.

I think most men understand that life goes on after a divorce, that your ex-wife is not your property and you have no right to get angry at who your ex-wife is rumored to be sleeping with (denied by both parties), much less take out that anger in an extended violent manner. Most men wouldn't be able to, or likely to, call in the police to fight their battles either. I think we can agree that it wouldn't even occur to most men to try extortion...

If that were the case, "most (divorced) men" would be in jail and yet, somehow, they are not. So I guess most men act MUCH differently.

The way Cianci involved the police precisely illustrates the way he abuses his power. This is not a guy I would look to to uphold the law.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
A lot of people do cocaine. A lot of people have enemies. Not every coke head get ratted out, and I suspect crossing Cianci wasn't such a great idea. Yes, I believe the rumors are true.

As to Raimondo, just as could never bring myself to vote for Bloomberg, I can't vote for her. I will simply write in "Independent Man" and walk away with a clear conscience.
I can always forgive the rich if they're liberal and give their money to good causes. Some even deserve to be rich. And, thanks for the vote!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
In 1984, the man was convicted of assault. Nothing else. While no one but those present will ever really know, everything else beyond that is pure hearsay. Mike Stanton can go stuff it, and only a publication like the Daily News would use such a man (with clear bias) as a source of reference in an article.

Just like no one knows what really went down that night, no one also can be sure how they'd react in a situation like that. I've never been in his shoes (at least to my knowledge), and I certainly have no idea what I would do should I face such horror. However it turns out, I would not be surprised if I'm taken to jail on that night. Just sayin...

But the real question to ask, is who is capable of getting Providence back on it's feet?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Buddy's wife Sheila had been cheating on him with Ray DeLeo during the marriage as I recall. The details were reported after the fact of the final decree and that is when the whole thing became "newsworthy" and writers had a field day. And they are still getting a lot of mileage out of the incident, obviously, now.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
For the record "he" is a "she".

I don't see how the police force could change so radically due to Cicilline's election. You're telling me that the whole force up and quit? Even after being promoted based on tests they were given the results to?
i know you're a she, it was just a typo. anyway i agree about federal hill the way it is now
but i can see you also thought the author's comments were too "sensational".. concerning
the PVD police dept under Cicc, the problems started when he appointed Esserman who
had no experience running a big city at all. It was not a very well run dept under Esserman.
This was one of Cianci's top talking points. There was credible information regarding the
obfuscation of crime data or its manipulation to make PVD appear to be a safer city under
Cicc than it really was. Anyway, no reason to dig up the past now. Taveras is gone, with him
the last of the Cicc legacy. Where this goes now is up to the residents.
I suspect Jorge Elorza will win rather easily as long as Dan Harrop stays in the race.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,150,559 times
Quote:
There was credible information regarding the
obfuscation of crime data or its manipulation to make PVD appear to be a safer city under
Cicc than it really was.
For what it's worth, I follow a number of different cities on this site and this is a common claim, the idea that crime looks like it's down but really it's just a conspiracy. This particularly comes to mind because I spent the weekend in Chicago; you may be aware that the national media have developed a habit over the past few years of increasingly reporting rampant crime there even though the statistics show that crime is at historic lows. A lot of locals, including a very good friend of mine with whom I had dinner last night, believe the numbers have been falsified.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM

548 posts, read 816,829 times
From the social science studies I've read -- I've actually looked into this professionally -- it's exactly the opposite of the consipiracy theory. A higher percentage of TV reporting is devoted to crime than before ("if it bleeds, it leads"), or to put it another way, any given crime receives more TV coverage than the same crime did 20 or 40 years ago. On a related note, studies also show very conclusively that the perception people have of the crime rate in their area is better correlated with local TV news coverage of violent crimes than it is with any actual measure of crime, even more than their own personal knowledge of crimes in their neighborhood. Murder is a particularly hard stat to fake, for example -- gets a lot of press, would require ignoring actual bodies brought in to morgues, etc - yet peoples' estimate of their local murder rate tracks TV news stories about murders, not actual murders.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 AM

548 posts, read 816,829 times
On another thread, QuilterQuick said this about Cianci:

"What I said exactly was: "Men fight over women all the time. Italian men are a tad more protective than some other pantywaists;" In my experience, yes experience ... Italian men are REAL MEN. So put that in your pipe and smoke it."

I trust that the next time we read about a couple of black or hispanic teenagers getting violent over a girl, we will see QuilterChick, Massnative, and the other usual suspects praising those youth for being paragons of traditional manliness, rather than complaining about "thugs" and "ghettos" and "demographics".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island