Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 12:04 PM

23,764 posts, read 18,882,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Police are investigating after a man was shot while driving in Cranston Monday afternoon.

"Col. Michael Winquist said the 25-year-old man was driving down Hillwood Street with his child and girlfriend when someone in another car pulled up and fired several shots into their vehicle."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8E_dgCU8pY
Quote:
^ This was a gang related shooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
Google that address and they still want $270-285,000 for a home in such a subpar neighborhood not ideal for raising a family. RI is a joke. Go to a "red state" and you can pay much less than that in a much better neighborhood.
That area has been on a downwards slide for years. I've long said that if you want to buy in Cranston, keep a good mile buffer from the Providence city line. Hollytree is correct in that Providence does have desirable areas, however none of them border Cranston.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:28 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,325,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
Google that address and they still want $270-285,000 for a home in such a subpar neighborhood not ideal for raising a family. RI is a joke. Go to a "red state" and you can pay much less than that in a much better neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The two who post here in frenzied fashion love and are fascinated with the ghetto.

There is plenty in Providence that is not ghetto. There is plenty in the state that is highly desirable. So best to not give too much credence to the ghetto lovers.

Therefore, your "RI is a joke" comment comes off as uninformed.

Holly, that poster has been looking to relocate to RI. With I believe a budget of approximately 300k, he is not uninformed but rather frustrated with the options available.

Dayzoftheweek, I'd suggest looking in the Elmhurst neighborhood in Providence.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:45 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,730,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That area has been on a downwards slide for years. I've long said that if you want to buy in Cranston, keep a good mile buffer from the Providence city line. Hollytree is correct in that Providence does have desirable areas, however none of them border Cranston.
Despite what is constantly repeated here with such a nasty pejorative as "ghetto", Providence has several fine minority/majority neighborhoods. "That Providence does have desirable areas, however none of them border Cranston." is just the most recent example of such targeted nonsense. Whether it comes from a self-styled crime reporter sitting at his computer in the woods of rural Maine or inexplicably, from the East Side of Providence, it's no more true or less toxic.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Despite what is constantly repeated here with such a nasty pejorative as "ghetto", Providence has several fine minority/majority neighborhoods. "That Providence does have desirable areas, however none of them border Cranston." is just the most recent example of such targeted nonsense. Whether it comes from a self-styled crime reporter sitting at his computer in the woods of rural Maine or inexplicably, from the East Side of Providence, it's no more true or less toxic.
You need to drop the race thing, seriously. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything we are talking about, and your fixation on that factor reflects far more upon yourself than the posters here you disparage ("woods of rural Maine", really dude?). Anyway, I stand by what I said. Some of the roughest neighborhoods of Providence border Cranston. South Providence, West End, Silver Lake...all bad areas. It dissipates as you cross over into Cranston, but there remains a zone of "shakiness" all along the border.

Last edited by massnative71; 10-12-2021 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-12-2021, 01:13 PM

4,442 posts, read 3,224,829 times
Quote:
Anyway, I stand by what I said. Some of the roughest neighborhoods of Providence border Cranston. South Providence, West End, Silver Lake...all bad areas. It dissipates as you cross over into Cranston, but there remains a zone of "shakiness" all along the border.
That's weird, because per your shooting/stabbing map, Silver Lake looks like one of the safest neighborhoods in Providence

Old 10-12-2021, 01:16 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,730,335 times
Quote:
You need to drop the race thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything we are talking about, and your fixation on that factor reflects far more on yourself than the posters here you disparage. Anyway, I stand by what I said. Some of the roughest neighborhoods of Providence border Cranston. South Providence, West End, Silver Lake...all bad areas. It dissipates as you cross over into Cranston, but there remains a zone of "shakiness" all along the border.
Yes, now I see, it's just an unkind coincidence that all of these neighborhoods you incessantly target with your nasty opinions just happen to be minority/majority places? "Drop the race thing"? Really? Best you own it, it's yours, not mine.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:11 PM

4,236 posts, read 1,693,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
I'm not the one equating them, the market is.
Housing in high tax, high wage, high COL states is predictably more expensive than in their low tax, low wage, low COL counterparts. Duh? A more fitting illustration of "desirability" can be gleaned from domestic migration data. As in, where are the vast majority of mobile Americans flooding to? Anybody require a hint? And this "my Blue is better than your Red" crap is something one might expect to overhear on a recess playground. It's a big and beautiful country from coast to coast, with great Americans in every state. I must say that the insularity and lack of sophistication in tiny Rhode Island appears to have become debilitating.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:20 PM

72 posts, read 54,475 times
Quote:

Dayzoftheweek, I'd suggest looking in the Elmhurst neighborhood in Providence.

LOL thats where I was born and lived for a few years before my family moved.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:23 PM

Exclamation Man shot dead in Washington Park

Man was just killed in shooting at a laundromat, located at 1351 Washington St. in the Washington Park section of South Providence.

I am not sure which laundromat this is, as there does not seem to be a Laundromat listed at that address. There is Laundromax located at 1315 Broad St., perhaps the Journal got the numbers mixed up?

This will be the city's 21st homicide of 2021.

Man killed in shooting at Providence laundromat.

https://www.providencejournal.com/st...at/8430453002/

Old 10-12-2021, 07:30 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,325,989 times
The murder happened at Laundromax -- 1315 Broad Street in South Providence (Washington Park).

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/fewmU3RxHqqq6EzL9

Very close to Parkview Bakery Café - which was recently discussed.

Channel 10 article: Person shot and killed at laundromat in Providence, police say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.