Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 07:32 PM

72 posts, read 53,762 times

Advertisements

I spent a lot of time in Washington Park because my grandma used to live there but I cant say I know where that laundromat is but then I clicked on the link above and saw the Olympic Pizza and yeah I know that pizza place. Its owned by Greeks.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:34 PM

23,670 posts, read 18,773,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzoftheweek View Post
I spent a lot of time in Washington Park because my grandma used to live there but I cant say I know where that laundromat is.
How long ago? I guess it didn't used to be as bad as it is now?

Old 10-12-2021, 07:35 PM

17,806 posts, read 9,240,345 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SFbAQpj-Go

Old 10-12-2021, 07:39 PM

17,806 posts, read 9,240,345 times
Quote:
I spent a lot of time in Washington Park because my grandma used to live there but I cant say I know where that laundromat is but then I clicked on the link and saw the Olympic Pizza and yeah I know that pizza place. Its owned by Greeks.
This laundromat is very close to Roger Williams Park (Broad Street entrance).

Old 10-12-2021, 07:57 PM

72 posts, read 53,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How long ago? I guess it didn't used to be as bad as it is now?

I dont remember it being great since the 80s but back then I was a kid and didnt know ****. I spent more time there in the past 10 years because she was in her 90s and had failing health and needed lots of help. Actually you guys are saying Washington Park is part of South Providence and I remember on here someone was saying that it wasnt part of it. Doesnt really matter to me either way. I never really felt unsafe there but I was very alert and aware of what was going on in my surroundings. Like I could probably live with with my wife or gf there and be alright but raising a family and having to send them to the public schools, nope out of the question. The house was sold for around 200,000 to a middle aged or older black couple so it kinda proves my point. Actually my dad was more concerned with me sleeping over there when I was a kid because there was no man in the house and would he have said that if it was a nice neighborhood, hmmm who knows. I was too young to pick up on that stuff back then.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I dont remember it being great since the 80s but back then I was a kid and didnt know ****. I spent more time there in the past 10 years because she was in her 90s and had failing health and needed lots of help. Actually you guys are saying Washington Park is part of South Providence and I remember on here someone was saying that it wasnt part of it. Doesnt really matter to me either way. I never really felt unsafe there but I was very alert and aware of what was going on in my surroundings. Like I could probably live with with my wife or gf there and be alright but raising a family and having to send them to the public schools, nope out of the question. The house was sold for around 200,000 to a middle aged or older black couple so it kinda proves my point. Actually my dad was more concerned with me sleeping over there when I was a kid because there was no man in the house and would he have said that if it was a nice neighborhood, hmmm who knows. I was too young to pick up on that stuff back then.

OK gotcha.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Man was just killed in shooting at a laundromat, located at 1351 Washington St. in the Washington Park section of South Providence.

I am not sure which laundromat this is, as there does not seem to be a Laundromat listed at that address. There is Laundromax located at 1315 Broad St., perhaps the Journal got the numbers mixed up?

This will be the city's 21st homicide of 2021.

Man killed in shooting at Providence laundromat.

https://www.providencejournal.com/st...at/8430453002/
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The murder happened at Laundromax -- 1315 Broad Street in South Providence (Washington Park).

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/fewmU3RxHqqq6EzL9

Very close to Parkview Bakery Café - which was recently discussed.

Channel 10 article: Person shot and killed at laundromat in Providence, police say
Channel 10 article now updated to say this was a "robbery gone wrong". Man wouldn't give up his jewelry and was shot in the process.

https://turnto10.com/news/local/pers...nce-police-say

Old 10-12-2021, 10:13 PM

Locations of the 21 homicides seen so far this year in Providence.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,711,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Housing in high tax, high wage, high COL states is predictably more expensive than in their low tax, low wage, low COL counterparts. Duh? A more fitting illustration of "desirability" can be gleaned from domestic migration data. As in, where are the vast majority of mobile Americans flooding to? Anybody require a hint? And this "my Blue is better than your Red" crap is something one might expect to overhear on a recess playground. It's a big and beautiful country from coast to coast, with great Americans in every state. I must say that the insularity and lack of sophistication in tiny Rhode Island appears to have become debilitating.
A big beautiful country indeed. It's not necessarily all about red/blue. Educated people usually want to live & raise their families around other educated people. Even some lesser educated people, particularly those who care about their kids' education, want to live around educated people. It so happens there are concentrations of educated people in some of the most uneducated areas of the country. On the political & demographic maps they are the blue dots in the otherwise sea of red.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:18 AM

4,426 posts, read 3,208,269 times
Quote:
Wait - you really just said, out loud, that a black couple buying the house shows it was a bad neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island