Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 AM

35 posts, read 155,403 times

Advertisements

I'm addicted to Starbucks..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanea View Post
I have never been to Salt Lake City, I do have a good friend who went to college there. While she was in SLC, I guess there was a billboard with a gymnast on it. The gymnast was wearing a leotard. There was such an uproar about this sign that they had to take it down. To much skin, I suppose. Call 911, I guess. I have been to other towns in Utah, must say not my cup o tea!!
"I've never seen, but a friend told me" urban legend alert. There are billboards with "racy" photos on them for lingerie stores like the Blue Boutique.

I personally would rather not have to explain such billboards to my kids, but conversly anecdotes such as the above are not accurate either.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Move to SLC for the backcountry action. Move to NYC for the downtown action. Beautiful thing about SLC is that you aren't limited to just the "city" of SLC. There's so much variety within easy reach!
This pretty much sums it up. I don't get threads like this - no one is claiming SLC is a hot spot for night life. It's a decent sized city with a good economy that happens to have great proximity to some of the best outdoor rec. and scenic beauty in the country. If that's not your thing, why would you even consider it?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
"
I personally would rather not have to explain such billboards to my kids, but conversly anecdotes such as the above are not accurate either.
Actually, there was a big to-do about a picture of one of the U of U gymnasts. I am not sure if it was a billboard or a picture of her in the Trib (or both??) but I am a huge Red Rocks fan and I do remember a big hullaballo.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 115,350 times
Excuse me, you don't want to explain such billboards to your children of a gymnast? A gymnast wearing a leotard. Wow RACY!!!! Maybe SLC is beautiful, nice outdoors. I have a live let live philosophy. I am a mother as well, would never want to expose my children to such right winged opionions. That is why maybe my children tell me everything, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'd rather explain everything to them. Even heaven for bid a LEOTARD.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,762 times
Quote:
Excuse me, you don't want to explain such billboards to your children of a gymnast? A gymnast wearing a leotard. Wow RACY!!!! Maybe SLC is beautiful, nice outdoors. I have a live let live philosophy. I am a mother as well, would never want to expose my children to such right winged opionions. That is why maybe my children tell me everything, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'd rather explain everything to them. Even heaven for bid a LEOTARD.
what coolcats said was...

There are billboards with "racy" photos on them for lingerie stores like the Blue Boutique.

I personally would rather not have to explain such billboards to my kids

"right wing" does not automatically equal super-morality...just as "left wing" does not automatically equal super-immorality.
As a parent myself, I will say this...caring about "morality" in relation to our kids is an across-the-board important issue, regardless of various political leanings.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Searching out certain SLC neighborhoods via computer it seems some of the Architecture is caught in a late 50's early 60's modern time warp complete with swag and pole lamps, vaulted ceilings with exposed beams, wrought iron stair railings, etc...

I am assuming this was an accelerated development time period for the city, but what this may add to bore-ability the spectacular setting more than compensates, when I was out on a ski vacation I thought Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude (in particular Honeycomb Canyon) where heaven on earth....

Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,081 times
Quote:
Quote:
Excuse me, you don't want to explain such billboards to your children of a gymnast? A gymnast wearing a leotard. Wow RACY!!!!
ROFL....Oh my god....my god
.....Cant stop LMAO....breathe....okay

This is the kind of thing...well we know where this is going.
There was this huge uproar not too long ago as well concerning a DUI billboard calling people that drink and drive Utards. Heaven forbid you insult a few drunks by including the word tard in it. [I guess handicap protesters started the uproar].
And then theres that no selling hard liquor in grocery stores law. All for the children.
It is my understanding that wine coolers such as Mikes Hard Lemonade are going to be banned from grocery stores as well, and can only be sold in liquor stores too. All for the children as well.

Children grow up sometime. You cant shelter them forever in a naive existence.

LMAO, a leotard! I agree.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,730,298 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
ROFL....Oh my god....my god
.....Cant stop LMAO....breathe....okay

This is the kind of thing...well we know where this is going.
There was this huge uproar not too long ago as well concerning a DUI billboard calling people that drink and drive Utards. Heaven forbid you insult a few drunks by including the word tard in it. [I guess handicap protesters started the uproar].
And then theres that no selling hard liquor in grocery stores law. All for the children.
It is my understanding that wine coolers such as Mikes Hard Lemonade are going to be banned from grocery stores as well, and can only be sold in liquor stores too. All for the children as well.

Children grow up sometime. You cant shelter them forever in a naive existence.

LMAO, a leotard! I agree.

I suggest both of you learn to read a post completely before shooting off with incorrect conclusions about what the post says.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,081 times
Quote:
I suggest both of you learn to read a post completely before shooting off with incorrect conclusions about what the post says.
Well either the remark was about the blue boutique, or about the blue boutique and the gymnast billboard. That is how I understood it. Which is what I replied to.

Either that or you missed a [,] somewhere, or you have a weird sense of exaggeration, or I'm having a bad couple of days.

Please elaborate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area