Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times

Advertisements

Thi is so stupid. Most of the businesses and residents dont even want the name change. How about when you build a new street just name it Chavez way or whatever instead of creating this huge headache, and quit pandering to a couple ultra ethnic chest thumpers

Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Cesar Chavez fought for migrant worker rights. what does the average Mexican American have in common with migrant workers? CC has become the generic hero for Mexican Americans in the way that 5 de mayo is considered a genuine "mexican holiday", which it isn't by the way.

why couldn't they have honored Emma Teneyuca who fought for local workers' rights HERE in San Antonio. why not Dr Hector Garcia who formed the American GI Forum when our Mexican American veterans returning from WW2 were denied housing and educational opportunities that Anglos took for granted?
Right on.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Well it's on hold now! Looks like a lot of people called in and emailed.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

why couldn't they have honored Emma Teneyuca who fought for local workers' rights HERE in San Antonio. why not Dr Hector Garcia who formed the American GI Forum when our Mexican American veterans returning from WW2 were denied housing and educational opportunities that Anglos took for granted? It's all true. Discrimination was rampant throughout south texas (texas in general) for my ancestors throughout the first half of the 20th Century. It would have been more fitting to honor those that fought for equal rights locally here in San Antonio/ south Texas.
I love this option. I just recently read about her. She sounds amazing. Unless you're puro westside, had family members around during that time (and have moved out into the suburbs) or for some reason have studied the movement I doubt you've heard of her and the movements of the early 1900s in SA.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,462 times
I'd rather the money be put forth to improve Durango AS IS. The street looks like crap. Give the northern border to Southtown something more pleasing to the eye. The Tower and ITC are great things, but the curb out front (Durango) isn't anything nice to look at. Throw up some palm trees or something.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,462 times
Interesting.... Google Maps already has it (or most of it) labeled as Cesar E Chavez Blvd.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Spaniard ? Your jealous too ? What do you want, Franco Blvd? I think this the most petty post. Lets' just bring the British side in to represent the American roots, we can't let them go around unclothed and underrepresented. Prince Charles Blvd ? Nah, they have Churchhill High.
nope.

dont want a name change at all. leave it how it is and stop wasting my tax payer money on stupid, special interest projects that pander to hispanic special interest groups.

as a hispanic, im sick and tired of 'mexican festival this' and 'hispanic celebration that' or celebrating a holiday that remembers a mexican war... that mexico itself doesnt even celebrate!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I think it's bigoted and prejudiced to use your obvious majority on the city council to push through extremely unpopular agendas just because you can. I don't care if we have Martians sitting on the city council as long as they use there positions to do what the people of San Antonio want. That's not what happened last Friday and I think you know it. People see what's hapening and they don't like it. I think there is a lot of people who don't like it. And they don't like it a lot. Our Mayor and City Council should take note of the reaction to their actions. Ignore the populace long enough and they will find another set of city leaders.
bears repeating.

hispanic special interest groups need to go! no more pandering to special interest groups!

/its not enough that you have the majority in this city, but you want to make sure everyone else thats not hispanic knows it??
//talk about bigoted and racist.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Interesting.... Google Maps already has it (or most of it) labeled as Cesar E Chavez Blvd.
I saw that last night too when I went to google Durango Blvd.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I love this option. I just recently read about her. She sounds amazing.
She definitely is.

The Esperanza Peace and Justice Center in San Antonio released an entire issue dedicated to her back in the year 2000. Within that year, I happen to study Ms. Tenayuca in one of my classes at my university. Most of the students had no clue who she was but I knew.

I gave the issue (with lots of great historical pictures in there) to my professor and she was delighted.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 05-24-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio