Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 PM

358 posts, read 821,824 times

Advertisements

Based on my recent experience with Trader Joe's in Raleigh, NC, they will destroy HEB as far as wine prices are concerned. I got an awesome Moscato there for 5.99, better than the one I pay 17.00 for at HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
Based on my recent experience with Trader Joe's in Raleigh, NC, they will destroy HEB as far as wine prices are concerned. I got an awesome Moscato there for 5.99, better than the one I pay 17.00 for at HEB.
And don't forget 2 buck chuck...(now $2.99 in some TJ'S)...

Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times
Prediction time

where will it be built?

I say the new Bulverde Market area.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM

102 posts, read 188,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
Prediction time

where will it be built?

I'd say The Landmark at 1604/10 (maybe behind the new Cheddar's).

Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Prediction time

where will it be built?

Nah…the demographic surrounding that location is not ideal. I would say either at the Quarry or somewhere in the Stone Oak area.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Prediction time

where will it be built?
My post #20 above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Based on where they locate in other markets, I'll be surprised if we get more than two Trader Joe's. I'll predict they put a store at The Quarry and a store at The Rim.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
I predict the TJ's won't make a dent in any of HEB's monopoly. They will come into the market strong, but eventually fizzle out when San Antonio realizes that HEB can afford to price lower, offer more selection and cover more of the area with their product. Added, San Antonio has a real problem with things seeming 'too fancy' to general consumers and locals becoming quickly disinterested. Let's see if TJ's can overcome that one.

It's simple business: HEB is too strong to fail (in this area, at least).

BN

Old 08-27-2011, 03:21 PM

417 posts, read 816,654 times
Default HEB vs TJ's

Trader Joe's is a totally different kind of store than a typical grocery store chain like HEB, so no, it won't put HEB in any kind of financial danger.

Trader Joe's is a smaller, specialty-type store that has its own brands and does not stock your traditional brands that you would see in Wal-Mart or HEB. It is a bit more like Central Market, but it isn't exactly like Central Market either. It's a smaller store than Central Market.

It's hard to describe a Trader Joe's to someone who hasn't been there, but it isn't anything like a standard grocery store. I predict that a Trader Joe's here would do pretty well, although I wouldn't put it in Alamo Heights where Central Market and Whole Foods are. While Trader Joe's is different from Whole Foods and Central Market, I do think they all attract some of the same types of customers. I would put it on the northwest side of the SA area to avoid those other stores.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
One Trader Joe's will not make HEB flinch...they need to adjust prices on a few items, but that's it.

My vote for location: Old Albertson's on Blanco/1604 (currently partly occupied)...this is across from where WF is supposed to build, so doubtful. Second location: old Albertson's/HEB on Evans/281. Yes I know they probably have restrictions galore...but it would be a great repurposed spot, vs building anew...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM

39 posts, read 140,584 times
My vote for location, if they build: Quarry Village on the old Eddie V’s site. I don’t think West Elm would work due to the limited parking.

We were in Pacific Grove, Ca last month and the Trader Joe’s there is practically next door to Safeway (one small shopping center between). As has been posted, they don’t really compete. We went to Safeway, then to TJ’s. They didn’t have many national brands- almost all TJ’s or specialty labels. And yes, they had cases of Two-buck Chuck at the front of the store ($2.99 I think).

Staff was very friendly and helpful. We went near closing time, and I couldn’t find TJ’s peanut brittle I’d promised to bring back for my sister. A young employee who'd been cleaning up searched high and low and across the store. He thought it had been moved but ultimately they didn’t have it- seasonal item.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but this article is good for TJ newbies:

What’s Good at Trader Joe’s?
Top five picks for Trader Joe's products in five categories — beverages, desserts, sauces and soups, international entrées, and snacks — with explanations for their top picks.
What's Good At Trader Joe's? | The Daily Meal

And this site has detailed reviews of many TJ’s products:
What's Good at Trader Joe's?

(See comments at both sites for more customer favorites.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio