Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It's called market saturation, and TJ's doesn't offer enough differentiation to draw away from the already existing market.
Actually, they do. I'm not as big a fan of TJ's as I used to be, but their stock tends to be substantially different from what HEB or Super Walmart/Target offers. And they're limited to being *grocery* stores, overall a much more pleasant experience than the superstores, IMO. They'd probably rival Central Market in terms of packaged food (less so for fresh) and beer/wine, but I'm sure San Antonio could use another store of that variety.

Their smaller store/focus on grocery style would do well in Southtown But I won't hold my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 AM

592 posts, read 2,024,974 times
I have been to many trader joes and dont see the lure or the following. Please Explain?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
I have been to many trader joes and dont see the lure or the following. Please Explain?
Since there's not one here, and someone went to one and liked it, this city isn't going to amount to anything until we DO have one!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Sorry to have bothered so many....just trying to pass some inside corporate news to a few obvious ingrates....have learned my lesson....certainly won't bother doing that again!
On behalf of those that have manners, I do apologize Paka. Thanks for sharing what you learned.

This forum use to be a fun and informative place. Now it's like listening to the " cool kids" in high school that can only get a laugh by putting someone else down. Come on guys, high school is over. Grow up.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
1) TJs controls their own distribution and sells mostly private TJ's label goods. Because of this, they are able to keep prices very low. The fresh hummus I just shelled out $4 for at Central Market would be $1.99 at TJ's. They have what's called "2 Buck Chuck" which is a private label, $2 bottle of wine. This is also why TJ's is very careful about where they open- they have to have their own distribution center nearby...this selectivity definitely contributes to the allure of TJ's.

(an aside: TJ's clientele are more the WF/CM/Sprouts crowd, not the Target/Super Walmart crowd.)

2) It's much smaller than a typical supermarket (1/2 the size of a Sprouts) so it's very easy to pop in and out. Because of this I think TJ's clientele tends to be more singles, couples, or smaller families. As we all know there is usually no such thing as a quick "pop in/pop out" trip to H-E-B.

In short, you can get most of the quality/variety of Whole Foods on the H-E-B/Walmart budget. TJ's currently thrives in countless large metros that already had pre-existing options, so the argument that it'll be a quick fad and fade away is moot. To be sure, any city could live without it but TJ's will fill a need for many SA residents.

FWIW, TJ's has announced 4 official TX locations for Spring (DFW, Houston). It sounds like SA is probably next but since they usually announce new stores seasonally, it probably won't be til later in 2012. Hopefully Austin is after that, but if not SA is much closer than Fort Worth!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
For those doubters on TJ's expansion plans, the two 2012 Trader Joe locations in Dallas have been confirmed, as was Houston's and Fort Worth's, so there is no reason to question that San Antonio will be next as Paka stated.

While some of you may not like the idea of their expansion into your area, there really is no excuse for any rude treatment to a messenger that was only attempting to spread the news to those that would welcome these new type stores, especially when you have no confirming info to the contrary.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
For those doubters on TJ's expansion plans, the two 2012 Trader Joe locations in Dallas have been confirmed, as was Houston's and Fort Worth's, so there is no reason to question that San Antonio will be next as Paka stated.
So, no official announcement as to a store opening in San Antonio, despite claims to the contrary...

And, there are no employment opportunities listed for Texas on their website.

So just because DFW and Houston are getting them is no proof that SA is. There are IKEAs in Dallas, Houston and Round Rock; that doesn't mean they'll open a store here. There are 13 In N' Out Burger restaurants in Texas, doesn't mean we'll get one here.

If San Antonio getting a Trader Joe's is such big news, where is the official announcement?!?

And I am amused to learn that Trader Joe's is a Aldi's subsidiary. So much for the image of being a small company...

Last edited by majormadmax; 01-16-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM

431 posts, read 1,204,339 times
Quote:
So, no official announcement as to a store opening in San Antonio, despite claims to the contrary...

And, there are no employment opportunities listed for Texas on their website.

So just because DFW and Houston are getting them is no proof that SA is. There are IKEAs in Dallas, Houston and Round Rock; that doesn't mean they'll open a store here. There are 13 In N' Out Burger restaurants in Texas, doesn't mean we'll get one here.

If San Antonio getting a Trader Joe's is such big news, where is the official announcement?!?

And I am amused to learn that Trader Joe's is a Aldi's subsidiary. So much for the image of being a small company...
Dude....I generally get along and agree with 99% of things you post on here, but you seem to be on a serious soapbox here, and it is kind of odd how much effort you're putting into something so trivial.

Paka, a genuinely friendly and intelligent member here, got first hand info from a manager at another TJs about future job opportunities here. AND this info came several months after the article posted in the Express News. It's highly possible they are looking to send/transfer a current employee before offering the job to the general public. Either way, the lack of job opportunities in San Antonio doesn't really prove they are NOT going to build here.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Nor does it prove they are going to build one here.

Plus, as you so aptly pointed out, it has been several months since this so-called announcement and still nothing else has developed? Care to explain why? You wouldn't expect such a hubbub then nothing, there's got to be an explanation but no one wants to ask what it might be!

As I've stated, I honestly don't care, I've been to a Trader Joe's and really wasn't that impressed with it.

But the hyperbole that's been generated over a mere rumor that it is coming is too much for even me to stomach. It's about as bad as the rants about how this town is nothing without an In N' Out Burger or IKEA. Seriously, some little grocery store is gonna make this a much better place to live?

And even if they would build one here (which I doubt, as Austin would be a much more logical choice), I don't see the majority of San Antonians buying into it. Do people really think this is going to cause the people in this town to suddenly become health conscience and eating better? No, go by a Whataburger or taqueria joint and I guarantee that both will be just as crowded as usual.

Speculation is fine but treating some secondhand rumor from a source that doesn't even want to be associated with it is nowhere near fact. Nor is the news that DFW or Houston are getting one.

So let the dreamers dream, and if TJs ever does show up in this town I genuinely hope it is everything they think it is. But reality has proved in the past that people will get all excited over some new store or restaurant, and before long it's closing its doors due to lack of interest. If there really was a market for such a store here, we'd have one by now...

Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Nope, and no official announcement as to a store not opening in San Antonio, despite claims to the contrary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio