Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM

218 posts, read 501,634 times

Advertisements

You will never escape crime in any big city.

I had a coworker a while back get a call about someone in his house. He gets home to find a burglar leaving with his belongings. After a confrontation the burglar was arrested. He lives in the Stone Oak area. It can happen anywhere. Yes some places more than others, but it can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM

40 posts, read 108,658 times
Sorry my information is not a bunch of hooey. My SUV WAS broken into twice on my driveway as I clearly stated. You can look up the police reports. I have no reason to make up information. Maybe you are the poser with your "supposed" information On how great WestOver Hills is. It sure wasn't when we sold. The 3 other times as I mentioned, which you failed to read, we're at eatablishments around the area. I would never move back and live in that area.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM

41 posts, read 85,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
My husband has been a police officer for 11 years... 9 years on the Riverwalk and 2 years out in the districts, meaning he was assigned to a different side of town every night...

When we were looking to move from the Babcock/Prue area he refused to look at anything west of Bandera Rd... We bought outside 1604, towards Boerne... Now, if you are looking for stores/restaurants right outside your door, this area is definately not for you... Not that we are secluded by any means, but we do not have the large strip centers with shopping and eating close by... The closest would be The Rim/La Cantera which is about 8-10 minutes away or we drive into Boerne (small town feel with 1 Main road) which is also 8-10 minutes away in the opposite direction...

I am not saying Alamo Ranch is not nice, it is, DH just knew where he got more calls from when he was assigned to certain parts of town... He knew if he was on West patrol it was going to be a busy night, if he was on North patrol his night was not as hectic...

We chose the Boerne area over Stone Oak or 281/1604 because it was our preference... If Alamo Ranch is your preference, then just go into it with an open mind... Just know that if you travel inside 1604, down Culebra road, you will likely see graffiti... Things that may seem ghetto to some people may be diversity for another person... It seems like your heart is set on Alamo Ranch, and it if is, then just be open minded and go into the area on a positive note...
Thank you for your reply and the advice! I was hoping someone related to law enforcement might shed some light on this. I still like Alamo Ranch alot, but it's really given me something to think about.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
As long as SA continues be the cheapest major city in the country, it will always be vulnerable to being "ghettoized". Whether is Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Stone Oak, Alamo Ranch, or Monte Vista, you will always be in or near the ghetto. Why? People in CA or wherever are selling their rat infested closets in the hood for $400K, moving to the so called "good" parts of SA, and bringing their culture with them. I know I'll take a few hits for post, but it's true. I still have no regrets moving to SA, and I will never let an outsider tell me this, but to a certain degree, everyone knows it's true. We all need to get over ourselves just a little bit.

To the OP: AR is just fine...for now, no worse than any other section of town. It is what it is. Welcome to SA. You could do a lot worse.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
People in CA or wherever are selling their rat infested closets in the hood for $400K, moving to the so called "good" parts of SA, and bringing their culture with them.
Oh absolutely. You should see the low crime rates before the Californians moved in. We had sidewalks made of gold before they stole them all. We'd heard about robberies, but had no idea what they were until the Californians moved here. I hear they eat babies over there.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My_3_M_Angels View Post
Maybe you are the poser with your "supposed" information On how great WestOver Hills is. It sure wasn't when we sold.
The thing to remember is that there is a large number of real estate agents on here. Many go to great lengths to pump up neighborhoods, and rather unethically, for financial gain.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
What a bunch of outright HOOEY people are feeding you here. I live, currently, in Westover Hills--where the poster has been supposedly broken in...5 times...did I read that right?!?! Yeah, I call shenanigans. Sorry. Nothing has ever happened to us over here. It's quiet as quiet can be. No, it isn't PERFECT, but it's actually really nice, and I'm a downright snoot about things. I don't care for the Culebra/Grissom area, but that's outside the borders of WH. Alamo Ranch isn't going to ever have the problems that Westcreek has. Westcreek is totally, 100% responsible for its undoing.

Alamo Ranch and Westover Hills are actually lovely areas that are dictated by the boundaries of their MASTER PLANS. :-) People in SA bit*h and moan about CAs, HOAs, and the like, but I say thank the good Lord they are out there. Westover Hills especially is beautiful, the schools are FANTASTIC, and resale is actually doing quite nicely over here. We're about to have a new Los Barrios restaurant built right near us, and Sea World is right down the street. WH is growing, and in the RIGHT way, not the wrong way. Thank you, Marty Wender.

Stone Oak is beautiful on the surface, but I'd never live there. Never, never, never. I'd choose Shavano Park, Blanco Rd, The Rim area, Boerne, or Alamo Heights, if I couldn't live where I do now. I love my neighborhood, I love my neighbors, and that's just my little positive POV.
I'm so glad you and SteelMan have had a positive experience living there! What a breath of fresh air!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 AM

We did find a nice neighborhood in Stone Oak, right near some shopping. I still feel like it's really crowded there, but I have to admit it's very nice. It just comes down to a decision between SO and AR I guess. Thanks for everyone who posted about their experiences in both of these areas.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Does anyone know if a gated community deters home invasion overall? Do a large number of home invasions still occur in gated communities?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default True about Californians in S.A. ,

It is always the outsiders, people are looking to blame isn't it. We've got to keep these sort of people out,
the outsiders. Some of these posts are pathetically transparent. Maybe it is real estate agents that are secretly
out to profit from this website.. Of course. San Antonio home buyers have fallen prey to unethical real estate agents lurking around this website posting false information seeking to gain a personal windfall from commissions.
Californians are known to be vicious criminals and thieves . It is the entire culture over there that is the problem.
IF it isn't Californians some one will figure out whom are the next culprits. Soon, no place shall be safe.
We will be over run with criminals just like the Westover Hills area. I don't even like to drive through that area anymore, afraid I will be carjacked or worse I might lose my hubcaps off my 1965 Rambler. The place is deplorable.
In the Nineteen Eighties here,in San Antonio during that recession, it was the Yankees,fleeing the industrial north in seach of employment. More highly skilled than their counterparts here, they were literally stealing jobs from native Texans. It's was true. San Antonio is an economic magnet.
I am just glad the Katrina victims are gone from around here , San Antonio is much safer place. Lets keep it that way.
Keep up the good work here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Oh absolutely. You should see the low crime rates before the Californians moved in. We had sidewalks made of gold before they stole them all. We'd heard about robberies, but had no idea what they were until the Californians moved here. I hear they eat babies over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio