Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM

76 posts, read 270,817 times

Advertisements

And to all those who are still saying that it's not the paying taxes, it's the luxury schools they have a problem with...I give (again) my post, #12.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizm View Post
And to all those who are still saying that it's not the paying taxes, it's the luxury schools they have a problem with...I give (again) my post, #12.
I agree with you...

Old 11-13-2007, 05:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizm View Post
As I understand the original question, it is "why we have to pay at all" as opposed to "why do we have to pay so much".

The reason we who don't have children (or don't have children attending these schools) have to pay is because we receive the benefit of living in an educated society. I think I remember hearing that this community-funding of education started with the Puritans, so it's been around awhile. It's not likely to be changed anytime soon, either.
Yes, I agree also.

Dang it~ I told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this one

Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 26,964 times
Default Too much fraud and waste

WOAI, followed a school administrator on an illegal shopping trip the other night. He was spending thousands of dollars for personal DVDs and CDs with his SAISD CC. When the camera approached, he indicated that he wasn't doing anything wrong. The head of SAISD, said that the school system had far too many employees to police them all....

Like I said earlier, I just moved here. The property taxes were quite a shock, but something definitely stinks with these ISDs. They need to be reigned in and quick. Less than 12 months after the Texas Supreme Court forced them to cut the School tax, the schools were at it again. They were trying to lead the public to believe that an increase this year, was a tax cut, because it was less then what we paid last year. I hope these same school officials aren't teaching our kids ethics or math for that matter!

Instead of attacking the original poster, I think everyone that wants to pay more should write out a check and send it in. We could have a telethon or something

Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 PM

443 posts, read 1,505,908 times
So the million dollar question is... is the property taxation gonna change in the future? or at least are the legislators even open on discussing any ammendment to that effect?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 PM

162 posts, read 503,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Me and a couple of friends were sitting around watching Monday Football and wondered why we have to pay school tax since none of our kids went to school here in Texas. Is this taxation without representation?

We all agreed that we would not mind paying something for school tax but not the amount we are taxed on. Of course we had a few beers

Consider it contributing the good of society..........

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
So the million dollar question is... is the property taxation gonna change in the future? or at least are the legislators even open on discussing any ammendment to that effect?
Not if property owners do not step up to the plate and start making a little noise by contacting people. I have sent emails to newpapers, the governors office and posted in another forum. If no one fights for change, there won't be any change. Start sending emails to your legislators and let them know what is happening and how the appraisals are spiraling out of control, which in turn are causing taxation outside of the norm...most of which goes to the ISDs, which evidently are spending, spending, spending. Appraisals should be on purchase price, not maket price. AND...there should be a cap on the appraisals. I checked one appraisal district and saw that in 2006 somebody's land was appraised at $37,000. In 2007, that same piece of land, with no improvements, was appraised at over $100,000. Does that send a message, or what. That is just ridiculous. It happened to that person and many others that I saw. The majority of the taxes collected went to the ISDs. So, say for example, a property owner has to pay $1,000 in taxes for a year. $700 goes to ISDs. County may get a little over $100 and the rest goes to EMS and others. Unbelievable.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
If it was fair the people with no kids should be able to put 2 imaginery kids on their income tax returns as deductions

Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
on this very subject - wonderful speech by greenspan at the commonwealth club of san francisco on voucher system available check the internet.
i agree good post.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:23 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,667 times
Bunky, do you have a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio