Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 AM

83 posts, read 235,514 times

Advertisements

one of my favorite panaderias in san antonio is la familia im not too sure what street its on but its on the same block of st. phillip of jesus middle school just south of downtown also there is an all wheat panaderia that i found to be very good called el sol at 728 south presa and they had to tell me it was healthy whole wheat cuz i couldnt believe it lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 AM

and trust me there are alot more than 3 tiendas here

Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 AM

oh and la familia is on 2314 s. flores and i know my mom used to shop at bolners meat market whenever she made milanesa or caldo or anything specific lol it's also on s flores on the 2900 block

Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
That made me snort Dr Pepper out my nose. I'm glad the Northside is getting some good local places like that, finally.

I admit that part of the reason I am happy that Delicious opened a branch in Stone Oak is that perhaps it will draw off some of the holiday crowds and I won't have to wake up at 4:30 to get in a line half a block long by 5:20 to get tamales for Christmas Eve.
Never had delicious, we are a ruben's tamales kinda family. I miss getting good tamales since I'm here in Dallas. Central Market though will do in a pinch.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 AM

17 posts, read 78,768 times
Delicious Tamales in Stone Oak did I read that right? I wonder if they are charging more per dozen, lol.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM

107 posts, read 412,824 times
Default Harvest Day

Head over to Harvest Day bakery, on Fredericksburg just inside I-10 a few blocks. Great selection and very cheap. Also there's a Mexican grocery store on North Flores just up from downtown. I haevn't been yet, but it could be worth a try.

Definitely make it to El Sol on South Presa and remeber the far north side will be dominated by chains.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM

178 posts, read 788,478 times
You're on the wrong side of town dude! The best places are on the west side or south side. Mario's on Callahan and SW 36th street is an excellent panaderia and all around that area there are fresh tortillas etc. We go every time we are in town, if only Dallas had such places.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 AM

454 posts, read 505,574 times
I've got about 5 within walking distance from my house...

For the best homemade corn tortillas, try Taco Haven on S. Presa. It's a restaurant but they sell their tortillas too. best I've had in SA (and Tommy Lee Jones hangs out there if you want some star gazing).

Up the street a bit is El Sol Bakery, they have an excellent assortment of traditional Mexican baked goods (although on of the owners is actually from Spain). Their specialty is 'diabetic' food - recipes designed from tradition but adjusted for low sugar.

There are many many more. Just come to the southside.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtoDallas View Post
You're on the wrong side of town dude! The best places are on the west side or south side. Mario's on Callahan and SW 36th street is an excellent panaderia and all around that area there are fresh tortillas etc. We go every time we are in town, if only Dallas had such places.

I was gonna say Mario's also. Good little bakery (or whatever you call it in spanish, LOL).

Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM

454 posts, read 505,574 times
The best tamales I've bought in San Antonio were from a little old lady walking down my street in December 3 years ago. They were JUST like my mom's (which are the only "good" tamales for me!). Alas, I haven't seen her since

The second best were from a woman and her daughter driving through Espada Park, offering to sell them.

Fortunately, my mom just sent me off with a dozen tamales yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio