Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 AM

88 posts, read 287,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Prufrock1 Oh God Yes I remember Truckers very well. Stiil remember the way the store front looked. Even though we visited there often for what ever reason, we never seemed to be as strange as the people that were in there. This would have been 75-76 or so. I was working at the Crystal Pistol then. And JACALA, we still talk about that restaurant up where we live know. In high school we used to hang out with Rudy Quinonez. Ate at the restaurant all the time. Damn good food!!!!! Always got the #3.
Maybe not as recognized as Truckers, but does anyone remember the Beetlejuice Blues store which was located at the corner of Austin Hwy. and Rittiman Rd. - in business around '71-'73? I remember them having a cool assortment of goods, including some great black light posters.

Jacala was always a favorite place to put on the food bag - and frequently. Oddly, from my first visit in the 70s, when the #3 was only $2.49, I NEVER ordered anything besides the Three and Tea.

Here's one for ya'! There used to be a hole-in-the-wall eatery on Blanco Rd., north of Basse Rd., called Albert's Cafe, that had a really tasty and fairly substantial chicken fried steak meal for about $1.79. I remember the place being dimly lit and maybe not the cleanest, and the walls were adorned with some funky poster artwork by an artist named Winans(???). Anyway, being broke most of the time, friends and I used to eat there because it was really cheap food ---- but we always wondered (and were afraid to ask) what source of meat we were eating. Anybody remember eating there as well?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM

45 posts, read 176,205 times
Default REAL oldie!

Just found this fun site! I lived in SA in late 50s and again early 60s -- Sunset Hills subdv. Here are memories:

Rode bikes down Hillcrest Hill alongside Maverick -- never stopping for red light at bottom of Hillcrest!

Swam in the pool at Kelly AFB. Dad worked for Hondo AFB so we could use it.

Went to Northside Jr. Hi, later (I think) Sul Ross. Out in the country, next to Northside Sr. Hi (later Marshall). Bluebonnets in the field beyond the PE grounds.

Wonderland Mall -- outside glass elevator at Rhodes.

Saturday movies at Woodlawn Theater -- rode bus with best friend, and parents never worried.

Saw Giant at Aztec three times in a row -- 9 hours of movies. Best friend Mary and I were huge James Dean fans. Which of the downtown theaters had a drugstore next door that opened into the lobby?

Went to SAC 1963-65, was on synchronized swimming team, Cygnets, coached by Mrs. Margaret Swann (!!).

Teka Molino's for cheap Mexican food in little cardboard trays.

Remember the Medina blast. Blew windows out at SAC, had to have the organ retuned in the auditorium. Was at home sick that day and thought for sure we'd been attacked.

Wasn't old enough to get into the Crystal Pistol but a musician friend from SAC got me into the Green Gate -- first strippers I'd ever seen.

As SAC student, often walked home (San Pedro area) from downtown late at night after opera -- through parks with really shady-looking derelicts sleeping on benches. What was I thinking!

Loved my time there. Went back about 10 years ago and recognized almost nothing. Things have surely changed!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 AM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There B4 View Post
Maybe not as recognized as Truckers, but does anyone remember the Beetlejuice Blues store which was located at the corner of Austin Hwy. and Rittiman Rd. - in business around '71-'73? I remember them having a cool assortment of goods, including some great black light posters.

Jacala was always a favorite place to put on the food bag - and frequently. Oddly, from my first visit in the 70s, when the #3 was only $2.49, I NEVER ordered anything besides the Three and Tea.

Here's one for ya'! There used to be a hole-in-the-wall eatery on Blanco Rd., north of Basse Rd., called Albert's Cafe, that had a really tasty and fairly substantial chicken fried steak meal for about $1.79. I remember the place being dimly lit and maybe not the cleanest, and the walls were adorned with some funky poster artwork by an artist named Winans(???). Anyway, being broke most of the time, friends and I used to eat there because it was really cheap food ---- but we always wondered (and were afraid to ask) what source of meat we were eating. Anybody remember eating there as well?
Been There, I don't remember Beetlejuice, but some others I do remember are -

US on Main, near SAC, friends owned it.

and, Mr. Natural, corner of St. Marys and Ashby, my friend,
one of the Winans brothers had a leather shop upstairs.

And, of course, GrandMa's Tea House, the mother of all the local Head Shops.
On Broadway near Hung Fong.
My friend Charles Winans, RIP, opened it in around 66 or so.

Jacala, still eat there about once a week.
Started going there in the early 60s, when it was one room.

Albert's Cafe was a stones throw from where I grew up in late 50s.
I think the enchilada plate was 75 cents.
The Lone Star Beer was good and cold.
The posters were done by one of the other Winans brothers.

mud

Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 24,414 times
peggy kokernaught and Mario bosquez...does anyone remember them on PM san antonio??

Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flores7114 View Post
peggy kokernaught and Mario bosquez...does anyone remember them on PM san antonio??
Yes of course....who could forget PM magazine...that was before wheel of fortune and the onslaught of tabloid news shows.

Mario writes an article in the SA current called Mexican in Manhattan, I think only appears once every 2 weeks.
Don't know what happened to Peggy.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM

92 posts, read 303,566 times
mudpuddle- Jalaca is great- been going about the same amount of time. My ex-wife went to school with Lucille Q., one of the daughters, at IW high school.

There was a guy named Winans living in Balcones Heights that drove a hearse as his personal car in the 60's. I also went to school with a guy named "Boogie" Winans. Would these be some of the same Winans brothers?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
A question for everyone out there, where the Melting pot is now what used to be there?
Now are you talking the Spa that was there before, or before the building existed?
I believe it was an empty lot before that shopping center was there. Actually I think it was just woods.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
mudpuddle- Jalaca is great- been going about the same amount of time.
My ex-wife went to school with Lucille Q., one of the daughters,
at IW high school.

There was a guy named Winans living in Balcones Heights
that drove a hearse as his personal car in the 60's.
I also went to school with a guy named "Boogie" Winans.
Would these be some of the same Winans brothers?

Yessir Mr Olds.

Thanks for the reminder on the hearse. I had forgotten about that.
That was Charles. Went to his funeral almost a year ago now.
Boogie was there.

Some fantastic history died with Charles.
Not only his own history, but he did get around, and he remembered it all.

He was Doug Sahm's manager before Huey Meaux (I think it was) took over.

He worked with and hung out with Lynn Ford.
Was married to O'Neil Ford's daughter.

I'm trying to remember the name of the author he sued
over a misleading article about him in Rolling Stone magazine.

I could go on for quite awhile about Charles.
He is much missed by a large number of folks.

The Balcones Hts cops probably didn't miss him.
He had some great stories about his encounters with them.

mud

Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 AM

92 posts, read 303,566 times
Mudpuddle- one other note on the Winans brothers. Charles was the talk of the neighborhood with the hearse and his "hippy style". His son attended Baskin GS and had shoulder length hair which caused an uproar. His mom would walk him from school down Balcones Heights road to Crestview and to his street. I think she also looked and dressed hip.

Boogie- very cool guy. Skinny as a rail. Wore Stacy Adams with multiple soles. He could hardly stand. I think he was a close friend to Jake, from the musical group "Little Jake and the Giants". Boogies claim to fame in high school was teaching the other guys how to peg their jeans after they were on. Tight peg down to the last three inches. Put jeans on. Take needle and thread and stitch up seam. Go to school.

Back then most people (peers and officials) wanted everyone to be cookie cutter people.
If you deviated from the norm you were an outcast.
Thank goodness there were rebels then and now.
Memories are great.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 PM

191 posts, read 560,386 times
Default Born and Raised in SA

I live in WA State and would love to move back to the great state of TX. I go back to SA every year. I drive by my old hood, see family and friends. Grew up in the mid 60's and left in 78.
The river walk used to be just a river. No dining,shopping. I grew up on the Northside by St Cloud/Donaldson

I used to hang out at Wonderland, Piggy Wiggly, Sommers Rexall drugs, Woolworth. North Star Mall was nicer so was the area.
Used to eat downtown at Quincy's and shop at the Walgreens.

1604 used to be so far out. Sure has grown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio