Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times

Advertisements

Primo I remember it very well that there were some cottages on the property, I thought it was a large area.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Is there anyway I can go back on this thread and see my entries so I know if I am repeating myself---not the whole thing --just the ones I made. I can't remember if I told stuff I remember or not!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times
Just "click" your name and "hit" see all posts by Dwangle!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Is there anyway I can go back on this thread and see my entries so I know if I am repeating myself---not the whole thing --just the ones I made. I can't remember if I told stuff I remember or not!
These steps will give you just YOUR posts in just THIS thread:

1. Go to the top right of any page within the thread
2. Select "Search This Thread" above the first post on the page
3. Select "Advanced Search"
4. Click on "Go"
5. Enter your member name in the "Search By User Name" User Name field
6. Click on the "Search Now" button to begin your search

You're welcome!

Note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Just "click" your name and "hit" see all posts by Dwangle!

Sweetie Pie is correct about this. This will give you a list of ALL of your posts. However, not by a specific thread as the steps will above.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 PM

91 posts, read 323,758 times
Default Tieing up loose ends...

All right - back from extended time away as life has had me busy...

The VW parts warehouse fire at O'Connor and I-35 was on Friday, February 26, 1971. It started because a floor buffer shorted/sparked on a freshly polished floor and all hell broke loose soon after. The Express-News ran a story on this fire in February - go to:

asktheresearcher | mySA.com (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/researcher/ - broken link)

Click on the link for February 2008 on the lower left side of the page. When the new page loads, scroll down and you'll find the entry including a couple photos from the Texan Culture archives. There's also a link to a story of how IBM came to the rescue of VW after the fire to salvage their computer records:

IBM Archives: Racing For VW

The slab for that building sat for a good 30 years after the fire until the Lowe's, etc. were built at the site. My father clearly remembered the fire as well as other longtime San Antonians I've talked to; I was but 4 months old at the time.

Many thanks for posting the Central Park Mall aerial photo. The apartments across 410 from the GPM Towers/Dillard's end of the mall were the North Star Apartments and those came down about 15 years ago to make way for Toys-R-Us. Moving east down 410 to where Smuggler's Inn/El Chico used to be were the La Plaza Apartments. Those were mowed down with the old Ramada (known as an Econo Lodge at the end) in late 1994 or so, about the time the big lifestyle center was built with Barnes & Noble, etc.

The field at the far eastern edge of the photo was built up in 1989-1990 when the Pavilions (?) shopping center was built at the northwest corner of McCullough and 410. La Mansion del Norte was on the northeast corner of that intersection and opened around 1979-1980. Before La Mansion, that corner had the old Jordan Ford dealership.

As for interior photos of Central Park... I don't have any but I clearly remember the mall before carpet was installed throughout and the mirrored ceilings were put up on the lower level in the early 80s. I can't remember how many times I was dragged to the Brandeis Book Sales at Central; sad truth is I still have a lot of those books!

Think that's it for tonight...

Macgrad89

Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Mac

Good to see you are back, good to see some of the posters who have given a lot of information here in the past 18 months. Anyways I remember when the toys r us was built on 410 and the tearing down of the old ramada, thanks for the detailed information.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 43,299 times
[quote=Macgrad89;5695906]All right - back from extended time away as life has had me busy...

The VW parts warehouse fire at O'Connor and I-35 was on Friday, February 26, 1971. It started because a floor buffer shorted/sparked on a freshly polished floor and all hell broke loose soon after. The Express-News ran a story on this fire in February - go to:

asktheresearcher | mySA.com (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/researcher/ - broken link)

Click on the link for February 2008 on the lower left side of the page. When the new page loads, scroll down and you'll find the entry including a couple photos from the Texan Culture archives. There's also a link to a story of how IBM came to the rescue of VW after the fire to salvage their computer records:

IBM Archives: Racing For VW

The slab for that building sat for a good 30 years after the fire until the Lowe's, etc. were built at the site. My father clearly remembered the fire as well as other longtime San Antonians I've talked to; I was but 4 months old at the time.

Many thanks for posting the Central Park Mall aerial photo. The apartments across 410 from the GPM Towers/Dillard's end of the mall were the North Star Apartments and those came down about 15 years ago to make way for Toys-R-Us. Moving east down 410 to where Smuggler's Inn/El Chico used to be were the La Plaza Apartments. Those were mowed down with the old Ramada (known as an Econo Lodge at the end) in late 1994 or so, about the time the big lifestyle center was built with Barnes & Noble, etc.

The field at the far eastern edge of the photo was built up in 1989-1990 when the Pavilions (?) shopping center was built at the northwest corner of McCullough and 410. La Mansion del Norte was on the northeast corner of that intersection and opened around 1979-1980. Before La Mansion, that corner had the old Jordan Ford dealership.

As for interior photos of Central Park... I don't have any but I clearly remember the mall before carpet was installed throughout and the mirrored ceilings were put up on the lower level in the early 80s. I can't remember how many times I was dragged to the Brandeis Book Sales at Central; sad truth is I still have a lot of those books!

Think that's it for tonight...

Macgrad89[/quote

The apartments that were on the spot where the Toys R Us is located now, on Blance Rd between 410 and Lockhill-Selma was The Carousel Apts. On the south side of the apartments (closer to 410) was a strip center that had a James Avery Jewelry store in it and on the north side of the apartments (closer to Lockhill Selma) was a store called the Bike Barn. I just drove by there a couple of weeks ago and the Bike Barn and the James Avery is no longer there. If you look closely at the curb line, you will see that what was the old drive way to the apartments is still there. Those apartments were the first place my husband and I lived when we got married in the late 70's. Where were the Northstar Apartments at? I can't visualize where they were.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM

Very interesting post faith, I think the strip where James Avery is going to be torn down. It has been vacant for awhile, and I actually wondered about the driveaway awhile back and you answered my question. Do you recall when the toys r us was built?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:28 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
I worked for the Monarch Paper Company for awhile. It was near the HEB warehouse across from the Coors Distributer. I remember some places to eat in that area. Does anyone remember Karla's Gastube? German food. How about Jethro's Hamburgers "Home of the Meat Mountain"? Oh and all the Dairy Queen's were called Hamby's. This was middle seventies.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM

15 posts, read 43,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Very interesting post faith, I think the strip where James Avery is going to be torn down. It has been vacant for awhile, and I actually wondered about the driveaway awhile back and you answered my question. Do you recall when the toys r us was built?
No, I'm sorry - i can't recall what year Toys R Us went up. When we lived at the Carousel, our neighbor two and three doors down was a very elderly man and his sister. Don't know their first names, we knew them as Mr. and Miss Prinz. I don't know if this is accurate, but the story he told was that land around there had at one time been their parents farm (for some reason I keep thinking he said they had goats) and they had grown up right there were the apartments were. The interesting part was that a strip center was put in across the street from the entrance to the apartments that had a Dusty's Flower's in it as well as some other shops that I can't recall - the name of the strip center was "The Prinz Center." There is also a street that runs between Lockhill- Selma and Military Dr call Prinz Dr. Mr. Prinz was incredibly "frugel." He would frequently stop by to show my husband and myself some treasure he had found in the dumpster. He couldn't believe the good stuff people just threw out. A dumpster diver, that wore slip on sneakers that needed tape to hold the sole on and thread bare clothes yet he drove a brand new car and had an 2 apartments full of very fine antiques.

Last edited by faith63; 10-15-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio