Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 AM

50 posts, read 168,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
They were among a very big population of family owned small businesses that were once upon a time the back bone of our then vital middle class. Now all their trade is done by mega-corporations for better or worse and whether it's a Walmart, Tiger-Mart or whatever somhow it has not truly made things better, in my opinion. What became of your grand parent's store?
Being in Austin, you know the impact of the "Buy Local" campaign. I try to avoid chain stores whenever possible. The WalMart Waltons aren't the family from "Walton's Mountain". They don't need and won't get my money. When I first discovered this forum (looking for Joe Alston), I was discouraged by all the reminiscing about extinct national chains, and how the malls had changed. Didn't anyone grow up with neighborhood stores? But then Truman was President when I was born. Sommers, Eckerds, CVS: what a downward spiral.
Joske's was a great store, and all the shiny c#%p that replaced it is only shiny c$%p. If you want to buy American, you have to hit the thrift stores. Even Goodwill sells shiny c&%p from China.

WalMarts and McDonald's, the spoilers of America.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Default Celebrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Even Goodwill sells shiny c&%p from China. WalMarts and McDonald's, the spoilers of America.
You sir are totally correct and the real irony is that China is slowly but surely killing itself with pollution from all the factories churning out the shiny s*&% as you put it. Some will say that it's good that poor people can shop in Walmarts or whatever but the junk they sell is cheaply made and has short life span so you must buy another one sooner than you might want to or can afford to. I too was a Truman baby and also live in Austin so welcome aboard. As for GBNF's age groups, it's a bit mixed up with us Baby Boomers, and Gen Xers, etc. so you can pick and choose. But today is a beautiful day and a new beginning for our down but not out nation so let's all celebrate that, pray for our new president and do our best to make it a better place for the next generation.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 13,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I bet you are right, the stone gate and the farm house must be connected. I found some old city maps from and aerial phototgraphs and drawings of San Antonio from the 19th and early 20 centuries on another thread here on City-Data, but unfortunately that area was not part of San Antonio at the time, the City ended just outside where the inner loop is now.I am going to have to go downtown to the county records sometime and take a day to get some records of this area. Also, Shavano Park may have some data, the area might have been considered part of that township. I know DeZavala had a grocery store and post office there (he was actually the post master, too). His only customers had to be the people who lived in the houses we are talking about. The rest of the place was BF Egypt at the time.

Could the country club at Elm Creek be the Algo Differenchie that TCS mentioned? Its weird that you had Wolfe's Inn Resort and Spa on one end of Wurzbach, then a country club on the other. Then later on, we had the Turtle Creek Country Club in modern (relatively, I don't consider myself that old!) times near the same area.
I lived in Colonies North in the seventies and the old club you speak of is where a bunch of us kids used to ride our mini-bikes. The swimming pool had a couple old cars down in it. My grandmother told me she had been to the club before it closed. The rumor was that there was only 9 holes or so that was ever played on the course. (rumor)

Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Sommer's Drugs at North New Braunfels at Brees in Sunset Ridge. I stopped buying DC comics when the price was raised to 12¢. Little did I know the the Golden Age of Comics had ended. Switched to Mad Magazines, and Famous Monsters. I know someone who's neighbors with members of the family that owned Sommer's. I'll pass along the query about the menu. Chocolate malts are always better if you smell a little ozone when they're mixed.
The Sommers talked about @ I10 by HEB was in Colonies North mall next to Handy Andy and Colonies North Theater. It was the last place we could by a can coke for 25 cents.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Was the Bull Moose..the old lodge looking place on Blanco...near Central Park Mall? Either way...tells us about the Bull Moose.
Yes, Bull Moose was off Blanco and Rector. We used to after Spurs games in the 70's. They served all kinds of exotic game. (some of which I am sure you couldnt serve now) It didnt last long!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM

50 posts, read 168,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
You sir are totally correct and the real irony is that China is slowly but surely killing itself with pollution from all the factories churning out the shiny s*&% as you put it. Some will say that it's good that poor people can shop in Walmarts or whatever but the junk they sell is cheaply made and has short life span so you must buy another one sooner than you might want to or can afford to. I too was a Truman baby and also live in Austin so welcome aboard. As for GBNF's age groups, it's a bit mixed up with us Baby Boomers, and Gen Xers, etc. so you can pick and choose. But today is a beautiful day and a new beginning for our down but not out nation so let's all celebrate that, pray for our new president and do our best to make it a better place for the next generation.
I'll second that. To Time, the sorrows it takes, the joys it brings.

Austin and Travis County voted against Secession in 1861. Austin's always been weird.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM

237 posts, read 851,315 times
Thanks for reminding us of Austin's wisdom back then and again last November. Now if we could just stop them dang carpetbagging Yankees & Californicators from completely paving over and high rising this once beautiful city, I could be almost completely happy. But it's too late here just as it seems to be in San Antonio as big money gets its way as usual and the rest of us be damned. But a good thing has happened in dear old San Antonio. That is the long strip of former Tobin property that has been turned into a rambling park that follows Salado Creek in northeastern SA.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Was in Helotes the other day and something that was GBNF is coming back, there is a Colonna's grill opening up there soon. I hope the pizza is as good as it used to be.
It's open.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
Thanks M2 will have to go try it out.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It's open.

Cheers! M2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Thanks M2 will have to go try it out.
Is this the same people who were at Commercial and Military Drive in 60's and 70's??? Across from Bud Jones restaurant. They were on the corner next to the music store or the music store moved into their old bldg. Isn't Capperelli's the one that was on Rigsby between WW White & 410 in late 80's and 90's?? They (Capperelli's) had the best deep pan Pizza anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio