Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 04:50 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times

Advertisements

Alamo City is too much in love with its chains. We need more originality. Texans are loyal to their brands to a fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 03:52 PM

501 posts, read 776,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Alamo City is too much in love with its chains. We need more originality. Texans are loyal to their brands to a fault.
Been seeing variants of this spot-on reply here and on many other food sites going back to '08 when we first got introduced to the local scene.
IMHO, the "golden age" of innovative/experimental/unique restaurants came and went in San Antonio, an economically unfeasable number of folks noticed. The smart players from that era have adapted to the old adage of giving the public what they want.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:02 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
There are still a ton of local eateries, owned and operated, serving GREAT food.

They're just not in Stone Oak or Alamo Ranch.

The SA suburban public want one thing. Pearl, Downtown, Southtown/King William, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Government Hill and Castle Hills residents want another. It's apples and oranges.

The 'golden age' of dining isn't even close to over. Chad Carey, Lisa Wong, Andrew Weissman, Jason Dady, Stefan Bowers, Andrew Goodman, Quealy Watson, Tim The Girl, Southerleigh Hospitality and many other talents are making sure of that.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:13 PM

501 posts, read 776,112 times
Anyone looking for last chance to sample this place's great Peruvian food....Rocotos Grill closing January 9th

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27841940

Old 12-24-2021, 07:23 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
City is too far up Whataburger’s behind. And I’m sorry but I’ve never seen the appeal for Whataburger and think it’s overrated. I actually like PTerry. The one in NB is always very busy.
I am relatively new to SA (and Texas) and was very anxious to give Whataburger a try when I got here. I understand it is an institution, folks have been going since they were kids, it’s SA based, etc., but I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Don’t get me wrong, it is a perfectly fine place to grab a burger, but I just don’t find it to be anything special. But, different strokes for different folks….they obviously have a product a whole lot of people enjoy.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:38 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I am relatively new to SA (and Texas) and was very anxious to give Whataburger a try when I got here. I understand it is an institution, folks have been going since they were kids, it’s SA based, etc., but I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Don’t get me wrong, it is a perfectly fine place to grab a burger, but I just don’t find it to be anything special. But, different strokes for different folks….they obviously have a product a whole lot of people enjoy.
For what it is, it's fine.

Whataburger, at the heart of it, is still just another chain burger joint.

Old 01-14-2022, 07:24 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
There is a Wienerschnitzel opening up at 3824 Fredericksburg road and the exterior layout of it reminds me of the old San Pedro location from many years ago. It has been a long time since I have eaten at Wienerschnitzel.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:32 PM

62 posts, read 149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I drove east on Babcock while in town to pick something up and noticed a Hometown burger where sonic used to be at Babcock and Prue. Is that new? Or have I just not driven in that direction? (I’m usually head to Valero, La cantera or doing something downtown so I very well could have missed it).
I had some burgers at the combo Hometown Burgers/Chicken & Waffles place across from UTSA. The burgers were quite good.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:36 PM

62 posts, read 149,140 times
When did the Zio's on I-10 near DeZavala close? I noticed that Dimassi's Mediterranean Grill is opening soon in their old building.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:27 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
Not sure when Zio's closed. On the corner of FM3009 and Elbel Road here in Schertz, it looks like they are putting some kind of maybe fast food place. They are working on the site right now, but no sign as to what it will be yet. Also there is a new japanese place on FM 78 in Schertz, called Q Sushi Grill, and the new Las Pinchancas on Main Street here is also opened. If I don't go to lunch there today, may go tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio