Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
The Flame - yes we went there a lot too! I don't remember the Bridge, though. Must have been after my time LOL!

Do you remember when there was a swimming pool behind the bowling alley?: it was like a neighborhood pool you could join.
Yes the Goliad Riviera Swimming Pool. That was a great place. An olympic sized pool, a 12 ft deep diving pool and a kiddie pool and full sevice snack bar. Then it just mysteriously closed, never to re-open again. A few years back I heard the reason behind the closing. That is a really sad thing. I won't go into it here on a public forum. But if it's true it's really sad.

The Flame: The owners used to live across the street from me so I would go up there with them all the time for supper in the summer. I would do sleep overs at my neighbors house and his dad would take us to the farmers market to get supplies for the resteraunt at around 2 or 3 am then we would go to Mi Tierras or the Golden Star downtown and eat. I remember one time Dan Cook was at Mi Tierras eating. How exciting. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 PM

86 posts, read 394,453 times
That's it - Goliad Riviera. What a shame that something sad happened to make it close - I always wondered why, too. We went there a lot and also to the pool - Hi-Lions - think that was the name, by Highands High. Without air-conditioning at home, swimming was pretty popular!LOL

Loved the Flame - neat you knew the owners. You probably got to eat there free, right?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
The nostalgia bug bit me after driving by and seeing the chainlink fence surrounding piles of dirt where *my* mall once stood *sighs*. I've been able to dig up scant info online other than anything recent. So -

anyone have pics? Anything.

Mainly, I'm looking for things such as when it first opened in the 60s, in it's heyday (70s - 80s) when the Handy Andy and the original twin theatre was open, when Sommer's, the ice cream parlor with the swivel, scrollwork metal stools, Woolworth's, the book stall that was in the middle of the mall were there. *Before* the 2nd and last remodel prior to demo.

I know my parents have some pictures, but it will require my sweet-talking my dad into dragging out thirty-something years of photos & sifting through them.

I am glad I could find a pic of Little McCreless. I am on the lookout for pics of McCreless - I know I must have one here somewhere. Anyway, if I find it I will be sure to post it.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:02 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,906 times
Ok you've got me curious about the pool. I grew up on E Palfrey in the late 70's to the early 90's (age two to 17 or so) and don't remember a pool. What year did it close down? I love hearing about the southside and how it was in the past! I used to go with a friend to the Bowling Alley after school (Kate Schenck Elementary) and play arcade games and stop at the Lonestar Ice House that was in front of it for Dr Pepper and candy...those were the days

I was at Ponderosa this past weekend for my nephew Birthday Party and WOW has that place changed! When I was growing up it was dark and smoke filled. Now it's lighted well and no more smoke...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Yes the Goliad Riviera Swimming Pool. That was a great place. An olympic sized pool, a 12 ft deep diving pool and a kiddie pool and full sevice snack bar. Then it just mysteriously closed, never to re-open again. A few years back I heard the reason behind the closing. That is a really sad thing. I won't go into it here on a public forum. But if it's true it's really sad.

The Flame: The owners used to live across the street from me so I would go up there with them all the time for supper in the summer. I would do sleep overs at my neighbors house and his dad would take us to the farmers market to get supplies for the resteraunt at around 2 or 3 am then we would go to Mi Tierras or the Golden Star downtown and eat. I remember one time Dan Cook was at Mi Tierras eating. How exciting. LOL

Old 09-12-2007, 06:20 PM

Do ya'll remember when there was only one Bill Millers, the one there on the S.E. side? I remember you went in and saw the refrigerated display with all the great pies with lots of meringue. Seems like the floor kind of sloped down to the other part of the restaurant where you sat at picnic tables to eat.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 AM

87 posts, read 330,668 times
I asked at the barbershop @ Pecan Valley & Goliad for the center's owner, called the number they gave me, and am waiting to hear something. My poor dad will freak when he sees the sign if I can get it. I'll stop in the real estate office next week when I have time. I vaguely remember the BR having pictures of the area on the wall; I think the Reporter office does too, now that you mention it.

You said 'Dollarhide Creek', and got to wondering: when was the monster drainage ditch along Pecan Valley to S. New Braunfels built? The drainage inlet/tunnel for it begins on the north side of 37. There isn't any drainage along Pecan Valley until almost to Southcross. The outfall for the ditch goes across the State Hospital property, under Military, across Brooks to Espada Park, then to the San Antonio River.

From following 'Dollarhide Creek', I know it runs into Salado Creek on part of the golf course.

I don't remember the pool. Was it where the apartments behind Ponderosa are now (were named Riviera, funnily), or where the little league fields were? I still go to the Lions pool, though I miss the old play equipment & the lunar lander. I do know the huge slide that was at Comanche Park 2 is now at McArthur Park on NE 410, and the flying saucer thing from Lions is here also.

I remember when Ponderosa was tiny, like it's 'sister' lanes, Hacienda over on Zarzamora & S.W. Military. It had either 20 or 22 lanes, a galley game room and a tiny snack bar. When they started the remodel/expansion, we would play behind the plastic covering the wall on the end. I can't recall when Lone Star closed, but I don't remember it being there after the snack bar was expanded & the extra benches put in.

We also spent a lot of time at Highland Social Club and Hermann Sons lanes; I had my first job at 14 at Highlands (against mom's better judgement ) setting pins. Does anyone remember the name of the bowling lanes that were a bit up Presa from S.E. Military? I think it's a church now.

The Flame is special. I would bet money that quite a few people my age were told by their parents that they went there frequently on dates or had their first date there. I love the mirrors on the walls in the entrance; if you stand just the right way, you can look like a chorus line

On an update, the old Albertson's is being remodeled and looks ready to open as 'Azteca Market', and the old Autozone is going to be a Culebra Meat Market.

Whew.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 AM

Dementia, I hate to tell you but I drove by Pecan Vally and Goliad yesterday after work and the sign is gone. No sign, no pole, like it was never there.

Moe, the pool was probably there when you were born but gone before you were old enough to remember it. It was right behind the bowling alley and the parking lot faced Pecan Valley.

Nostalgic, we used to buy food at Bill Millers before we would go to the movies across the street at the ParkAir Theater. Remember the tree that was growing in the midddle of the dining room and the trunk went all the way through the ceiling? About 10 years ago when Linda Billa Burk was our councel woman we would have annual parades on Goliad Road. I was doing photography at he time and got some good pics of Bill MIller getting the street named after him. I'm remodeling my home now so I won't be able to get to them for a while but when I do I'll try to get them up.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM

The ParkAir was neat - I was real young when it was there and my sister and I would get all excited when dad would say we could go see a movie there.

You know, I don't remember the tree in Bill Miller's! I went there so much - oh well: Maybe I just focused on those pies too much~

Talking about Dollarhide, it used to flood like a river when I was young and all us kids would head down there to watch it rush by. I used to wish I had an inner tube to float down it.LOL

Old 09-13-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm having trouble placing the drainage ditch on Pecan Valley. I'll have to drive by and take a look. I know where the entance to the drainage tunnel is that runs to the SA river. It's right across the street from St. Maragret Mary's Church. Me and two of my friends used to hoist our bikes over the fence that was around the tunnel and ride all the way to the river in the tunnel. That was the weirdest experience. It was neat because it was of course, all downhill but it was also pitch dark until you pass a draingage hole where some light would come in. On our first attempt we had to come back because it was just too dark. We came back a few days later with big flash lights fixed to the front of our bikes and made the trip all the way. It was a sensation I haven't felt since. The walls, floor and ceiling are almost featureless and as your riding you can only see maybe 20 ft in front of you. So as your riding along it's like riding through space or something. Kind of like your not going anywhere as if walking the wrong way on a speedwalker or escalator. That was before the weather channel or weather radar. It's a wonder we didn't get caught in one of those flash thunder storms that can pop up in the summer. We probably would have drowned. I don't think my cub scout troop gave out any merit badges for that sort of thing.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:41 PM

29 posts, read 173,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
. That is a really sad thing. I won't go into it here on a public forum.
why not? i would like to hear about it.

elf louise 2001, sponsored by Wards

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...eless/0277.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...eless/0278.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...eless/0279.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...eless/0280.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...eless/1312.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ess/346345.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ess/212112.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...less/12312.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio