Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times

Advertisements

I was attempting to find some information on Hickory hut and found this little historical piece on Helotes:

Helotes Small Town Research Project (http://www.alamo.edu/pac/faculty/rhines/StudentProjects/1998/Helotes/Helotes.htm - broken link)

It's got some good history, but little on Hickory hut. I will keep searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I have a question. If I am moving BACK to San Antonio, and I will be living near Medical Center, could I attend John Jay HS? Because that is one of my old high schools I went to while I used to live in SA and I really liked it. I had to move to Stevens midway between the year because I moved to another house. So I was wondering if I could just save the trouble of attending a different HS?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have a question. If I am moving BACK to San Antonio, and I will be living near Medical Center, could I attend John Jay HS? Because that is one of my old high schools I went to while I used to live in SA and I really liked it. I had to move to Stevens midway between the year because I moved to another house. So I was wondering if I could just save the trouble of attending a different HS?
Ok I swore I would never make another entry into GBNF but this one kills me. I don't know where you would go--Not John Jay --Maybe John Marshall--or maybe even Thomas Jefferson.. I don't know where people who live in the Oak Hills area go to school --probably private schools--try ANTONIAN--I went there for a couple years

Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM

262 posts, read 910,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlibrarian View Post
How about Prassel's Drug Store on Nolan? I used to love to sit at their counter and have a cherry phosphate...

My great-grandparents used to live on Burnet, which is probably all crack-houses now.
I lived the first 13 years of my life in the strip center that Prassel's Drug Store was at. My dad had a barbershop there. He rented his space for $40 a month. 1/2 the space was the barbershop and the other half in the back was our teeny living quarters for our family of 4. We lived there from 1954 till the summer of 68'. The name of Dad's barbershop was "Tiny's Barber Shop" named after my mom.

Prassel's was a great drug store. It had everything! A great magazine stand with plenty of comics, soda counter, cosmetics, gifts, toys. Mr. Prassel was a very kind man. I'd go to Prassel's to buy cherry Cokes and Hershey Kisses. The box of Hershey Kisses was next to the old cash register. 2 Kisses for a penny. Sometimes Mr. Prassel would give me extra Kisses.

The heyday of the strip center was in the 50's and early 60's. I even remember a Piggly Wiggly right in the center of strip center.

I can recall some of the shops that were there... E. J. Ebrom's Printing, a very nice German couple. Mr. Ebrom would always give us big colorful scraps of paper to draw with. After work he would walk home. The Ebroms lived on Nolan closer to town. His daughter became a Sister of Divine Providence, Sister john Martin CDP

There was also Nina's Beauty Salon. The beauty salon was right next to my dad's barbershop, so I would see Nina everyday in the back. Nina would always store the glass gallon jugs of hair solution in the back.

There was a bakery, tv repair shop, and some other businesses.

Nolan & Pine was a very busy intersection. Across from the strip center was an old 2 pump Texaco Gas Station. The red brick building and canopy is still there. Still has the gargoyles that are protecting the old building.

It was fun living at the strip center, the back of the center was our entire back yard, complete with a tree house!

I see that the new owner has done a great job of restoring the black & white tiled strip center. That place was home to me.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
I guess it might be fun to talk about Barber Shops..I remember Jerry's Barbershop on Vance Jackson

Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Oh dang I can't even remember where I used to get my hair butchered in San Antonio. Was there a barber shop at Colonies Mall? I just remember how the men who went there and the barbers talked about how America has gone to hell in a handbasket and I was too young to understand. I do now...

Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Barbers: went to Mr Best and Eddie originally located in the barber shop in the strip center at Fair/Goliad/Gevers. They moved to McCreless Mall when it opened. Eddie still has a shop on Goliad Rd near Pecan Valley. There was also a shoe repair shop and Ruth Ellis' Dance studio. And I'm not going to tell how I know about that!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,299 times
I remember going to a barber shop when i was a kid (1963) on the east side on Nolan street called Tiny's,..allways nipped my ear.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54
There was a bakery, tv repair shop, and some other businesses.
Nix, can you recall the name of that bakery? Could it have been Dietzel's? If so, that was owned by my now desceased Grandparents in law. Two of the best old German bakers, cooks, and people you could ever hope to meet!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,835 times
I regularly went to the Barber Shop on West Ave. in the same shopping center as Buy-Rite Super Market. The owner's name was Frank, and he was a heck of a nice guy. He had a few assistants over the years, including a lady barber! She gave good haircuts, but i was glad when she left, because the men in the shop watched their language and stories around her, and it wasn't as fun for me to listen while I waited! He also had a very rotund barber for a while, who was also a disc jockey known as Charlie Big.

That center on West Ave faced Lively, Trudell, and Cherry Ridge across the street.. The Texan Ice House (which is still there) was right next door.

I remember the first time they put lather around my ears and shaved it with a straight edge. I felt like I became a man that day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio