Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

I guarantee, that you don't have to drive more than 50 miles from your house before you find a place where people celebrate some european culture.
Well of course, I can go to the Institute of Texan Cultures (or some museum), but that's one place. There's a bazillion of other places that "celebrate" Latino heritage in San Antonio. I'll be fighting a losing battle though, so I'll quit now. That's why I didn't want to start it to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
I should expand what I meant.

An example of what I dislike about what's happening in SA. A lot and I mean a lot of stuff is geared toward the Hispanic/Latino segment. The SA Film Festival is one of them. This thing should be promoting movies of all genres and all ethnicities, instead they largely promote Latino/Hispanic inspired films and showcase the films at the Instituto Cultural de Mexico. There's already CineFestival doing that why have another film festival majority dedicated to one segment of society? Speaking of CineFestival, well, not so much CineFestival but the Guadulpe Cultural Center. I mean, seriously, why are they limited to just hispanic/Mexican/Latino arts? I know its on the near west side and that area is 99.9999 percent Hispanic/Mexican/Latino but so what, enough with the limitations. If that opened it up to everyone that area could create some great synergy with UTSA or downtown in general.

Anyway, my rants over.
Ok, so I went back and reread your posts, and this is the one that states your 'rants' most clearly. You think that a lot of stuff in SA is geared to the Hispanic/Latino segment. Right?

1)The population of SA is 59% Hispanic, 32% white non Hispanic, 7% African American non Hispanic and 1% Asian and 1% other. STI: ERsys - San Antonio, TX (Ethnicity)

2)With numbers like that, why wouldn't a business target marget a population that is the majority population in the city? I'm sure you won't find the 'Hottest Latina' contest in Minneapolis, where the population breakout is
White, 63%, Black, 18%, Hispanic 8%, Asian, 6% and Other, 6%.

3) If you think that events like this are 'segregationist', then you must agree that the German Club and the Irish American club are also 'segregationist' "The Harp & Shamrock Society of Texas - Promoting Ireland and Irish culture through Festivities and Socials"

I love all this diverisity, and I think SA is a great example of where lots of ethnic groups can celebrate themselves and each other. The 'Hottest Latina' contest may not be for you (or me, not such a fan of beauty pageants!) but I think it's fine to target specific groups. I think everyone is welcome and should attend!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Ok, so I went back and reread your posts, and this is the one that states your 'rants' most clearly. You think that a lot of stuff in SA is geared to the Hispanic/Latino segment. Right?
I'm glad you quoted and bolded that. In my haste to type that out I wasn't able to fully explain myself like I did following that post.

What I meant was a lot of things that put themselves out to be representave of San Antonio and the metro areas only promote or care about one sector of its population, the Hispanic/Latin market.

II have no problem with groups or indiviuals who celebrate their heritage or race or nationality, whatever.

Quote:
1)The population of SA is 59% Hispanic, 32% white non Hispanic, 7% African American non Hispanic and 1% Asian and 1% other. STI: ERsys - San Antonio, TX (Ethnicity)

2)With numbers like that, why wouldn't a business target marget a population that is the majority population in the city? I'm sure you won't find the 'Hottest Latina' contest in Minneapolis, where the population breakout is
White, 63%, Black, 18%, Hispanic 8%, Asian, 6% and Other, 6%.
I know the demographics. That's not my point.

Quote:
3) If you think that events like this are 'segregationist', then you must agree that the German Club and the Irish American club are also 'segregationist' "The Harp & Shamrock Society of Texas - Promoting Ireland and Irish culture through Festivities and Socials"
Yes, those are segregationist events. That's not my point. My point wasn;t about people or groups celebrating their heritage or race. It was about mediums that are intended to represent all of San Antonio that themselves promote one race or heritage. No matter the reason, it's bad.

Quote:
I love all this diverisity, and I think SA is a great example of where lots of ethnic groups can celebrate themselves and each other.
I agree. I love diversity too. I want SA to become even more diverse. However, what is diverse in the Express-News caring more about one race or nationality than the rest? What's diverse about the main Film Festival promoting or majorily showcasing one race or nationalities movies? It's not diverse and it's bad for the city overall.

Quote:
The 'Hottest Latina' contest may not be for you (or me, not such a fan of beauty pageants!) but I think it's fine to target specific groups. I think everyone is welcome and should attend!
If you still think this is about the Hottest Latina contest, IT'S NOT. It's more than that. It's just a jumping off point.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I'll tell you the same thing I was told in the Ozarks 1000 times

"When in Rome, do as the romans do" and that's why I left the Ozarks for SA.

Quote:
... However, what is diverse in the Express-News caring more about one race or nationality than the rest? ....
FYI, Express-News is a private business and they do their work for $$$$ not to make society fair for everybody.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Yes, those are segregationist events. That's not my point. My point wasn;t about people or groups celebrating their heritage or race. It was about mediums that are intended to represent all of San Antonio that themselves promote one race or heritage. No matter the reason, it's bad.
However, what is diverse in the Express-News caring more about one race or nationality than the rest? What's diverse about the main Film Festival promoting or majorily showcasing one race or nationalities movies? It's not diverse and it's bad for the city overall.
I'm beginning to see your point. Let me make my point. The EN is a PRIVATE company. If they wanted tomorrow to start printing their paper in Farsi, that would be their right. They are a privately owned company. It would be a stupid business decision, but that's all it would be...business. They are under no moral or legal obligation to represent all of SA equally. Same with the film festival, if it's a private organization. Why do they have that silly beauty contest? Because they represent 57% of SA...that = 57%
of $$. You know, I really don't count on my paper to be honest or unbiased or fair.

I feel just like you when I see the 09er beauty queens from the Order of the Alamo in the EN (who cares??? someone but not me!) and the 'Chrysanthemum Ball' insert. It seems like pandering to me, to the big, old $$ of SA.

Anyway, I think I kind of agree with you.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 PM

What I've got from lemonfresh comments is that his problem is having an event called "........... ethnic group"

Let's call it "Belleza de San Antonio" and the problem is solved
It'd be just like Oktoberfest and Wurstfest, they don't say "German festival" on their name.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
What I would suggest to you lemonfresh is that if you want more media covering all ethnic groups, you start a club of some sort and enough sponsors to cover the costs of all the media coverage. As it stands, the Express News , in my opinion, would promote all groups if all groups paid the money. I don't think of them as discriminatory, its simply a matter of who pays them to promote their product. People don't pay, there is no service.

Complaining might get you a few pats on the back, but money is the real motivator here. In all media coverage. Even the T.V. channels. Next time you watch the news, take a look at the commercials. The ones they put, are usually the ones paying for anything they are promoting.

Having said that, I don't find it bad that all groups be promoted. If they got the money, then they got the power.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
This thread has gotten entirely silly thanks to people not understanding the real point: That MULTI-culturalism in San Antonio needs to be embraced on ALL levels. Not just ONE culture. Everyone.

I've got several segregationist 'cards' to play when it comes to what I could complain about, but I'm not because it gets me nowhere. It's all just sound and fury signifying nothing. What I strive for is equality... A right balance. Not just for one group, but for all.

In a city like SA, you've got a very visible dominance on one end, which makes it incredibly tough to break through the wall of inequality. It's the IDEA of this Latina/Latino beauty pageant that is problematic, especially when it's been endorsed by our only major newspaper. I'd have the same exact issue it if it were geared for African-Americans, Asians, Whites, American-Indian, etc.

My question remains: Why can't it simply be a Hottest San Antonian? Must everything be segregated? What good does that do? ... IMO, it doesn't do any good.

BN

Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
This thread has gotten entirely silly thanks to people not understanding the real point: That MULTI-culturalism in San Antonio needs to be embraced on ALL levels. Not just ONE culture. Everyone.

I've got several segregationist 'cards' to play when it comes to what I could complain about, but I'm not because it gets me nowhere. It's all just sound and fury signifying nothing. What I strive for is equality... A right balance. Not just for one group, but for all.

In a city like SA, you've got a very visible dominance on one end, which makes it incredibly tough to break through the wall of inequality. It's the IDEA of this Latina/Latino beauty pageant that is problematic, especially when it's been endorsed by our only major newspaper. I'd have the same exact issue it if it were geared for African-Americans, Asians, Whites, American-Indian, etc.

My question remains: Why can't it simply be a Hottest San Antonian? Must everything be segregated? What good does that do? ... IMO, it doesn't do any good.

BN
I'm guessing it can't be a Hottest San Antonian contest because the theme is latino beauty? The good of it would be to show that there are beautiful latinos too. You call it segregation, I call it a theme.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Let's go to the point...
Do you have any prove that they only allow latinas to participate on this contest?

You know that the name "Hottest Latina" could mean that what the judges consider a perfect 10 is a tanned brown eyed black hair woman instead of the standard blonde blue eyed girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio