Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
First of all, Latino is NOT a race, it's an ethnicity.
I know this. What's the bigger point?

Quote:
Secondly, why don't you try explaining how else you think the E-N is promoting one over the other. I'm really curious.
SACultura
Conexion

Both Express owned. Both promote Hispanic/Latin segment.

How many sites does the Express own/run that promote any other race? 0

Do you need me to go on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
The bigger point is that you keep referring to Latinos as race and you're wrong.

If that's all you've gone, yes, I need you to go on.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
The bigger point is that you keep referring to Latinos as race and you're wrong.
I've said segment too, sometimes I forget and put race. No need to argue semantics.

Quote:
If that's all you've gone, yes, I need you to go on.
That's not enough? Please inform me in what way the Express promotes the black community or the Asian community or the white community? I won't hold my breathe.

But please understand that I don't want them to. Because they're a city/metro wide publication that serves all of us. That's my problem. Not some independent rag that is geared to and marketed to one race. I have no real problem with that.

When you represent the entire city and metro it's a BAD thing to just promote one race. It's not just the Express-News like I've mentioned before.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
If I may, I would just like to say that advertisers are the ones paying for those extra publications.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
If I may, I would just like to say that advertisers are the ones paying for those extra publications.
Only one is a publication.

Adversiters don't pay for publications, if they did, they'd own them. Express-News owns the site and the publication.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,302 times
Lemonfresh - I still don't understand why it's a problem and I guess I really don't care enough to wrack my brain trying to understand. If it's a problem for you, then you need to take it up with someone who can do something about it. To me, it all sounds like sour grapes anyway.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Only one is a publication.

Adversiters don't pay for publications, if they did, they'd own them. Express-News owns the site and the publication.

What I'm trying to say is that advertisers pay good money to advertise in these areas of the newspaper. If the money wasn't there, there wouldn't be any hispanic section. Its all about the advertisers target. They feel that the latino community will bring in the most response.

I also agree that you need to stop seeing the glass as half empty and if it bothers you that much, that hopefully you can do something about it.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
If you don't understand my point or the general point myself and others are making just say so don't be sarcastic.
I understand your point exactly...and I'm not being sarcastic. I'm simply pointing out another 'segregationist' part of San Antonio.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
That is true but it's being highly publicized on MYSA.com, aka the San Antonio Express News site and the local news (KABB). It's one thing to conceal/restrict something like this on an all Spanish publication but to have it on the Express News site and on KABB is what doesn't make sense, espcially since there is no other "Hottest" compition other than this one put on by the Express (which owns Conexion). No Hottest Causcasions or Hottest African Americans, nothing. Just hottest latina. That's the segragationist pandering to a majority that eeks me to no end. Either have "hottest" comps for other ethnicities as well or stop pandering to the majority and just have a Hottest San Antonian comp.

The Express News, again who is behind this, panders to the Hispanic/Latin community like no bodies business. Just look at their main site, it has 3 or 4 sub sites dedicated just to that segment.
Again, you can open up the Express News throughout Fiesta and see the girls from the German Club with those big expensive dresses...GERMAN club. Not a latina in sight. Are you ok with THAT?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,335,117 times
commercials, local and nation wide commercials guy that refreshes my suits! do you have an issue with them? AT ALL? this question leads to the heart... not just SA but the WHOLE GOSH DAMN NATION!!? YOU SEE, I AM WATCHING "THE KINGDOM" which has many other people to worry about and you are thinking of this? I need to understand why you have this hate. Sorry, I am Hispanic that makes 70K but then again, I am not sorry because I earn it. to be honest, I also think that the Latinas on the list are rank, but not top rank. I have had many black, white or whatever that are better than the list. Just one thing. It's a mag that is mostly read by Spanish speaking readers so why worry about it? Why even waste your time? Sa Greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio