Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,471,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Sea Island again spur of the moment last night. I had steak this time others had fish and shrimp. Decent steak too!
Funny, I have never considered anything but seafood when there...will have to try sometime.

You and the family on the mend??? Sure hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM

923 posts, read 1,504,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Funny, I have never considered anything but seafood when there...will have to try sometime.

I always order seafood at Sea Island too, but I did order a steak there once and it was very good!

Also, I ate at Buffalo Wings and Rings in Stone Oak today (on 1604 access road), and can't recommend it. Poor service.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,471,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
I always order seafood at Sea Island too, but I did order a steak there once and it was very good!

Also, I ate at Buffalo Wings and Rings in Stone Oak today (on 1604 access road), and can't recommend it. Poor service.
Ohhh....now you make me HAPPY I did not do the discount coupon deal sent to me this week on one of the 100 discount coupon sites I belong to! SA Deal, Groupon, etc...

For those of you that have NOT tried these sites, they are AWESOME!!! Great way to try different places at 50% off. At least if it is not something you feel the need to do again, you gave it a try at a MAJOR discount!

Currently we have Malibu Shack, Red Robin, Marianitos Tex-Mex, Mela Indian, The Grill at Leon Springs, YaYa's Thai, and dance lessons at Frd Astaires Dance Studio to enjoy at 50% off!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,332,983 times
Sea Island makes a good burger as compared to the prices at the upscale burger joints.

You know, I have a broiled snapper for a third of the price that some upscale fish joint serves and SI was much better.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,915,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

They really are a well run outfit and dependably good food. Excellent service and very friendly always!

..We're on the mend Paka thanks... I'm still draggin' a little. Hope you're well.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 AM

171 posts, read 311,795 times
Ate at Panchitos off of Zarzamora. South of Laredo. Place was packed and heard they do good business. Wife and I weren't impressed. Bacon and egg tacos tastes extremely bland. Her plate of enchiladas were too salty. I had bought a couple of bean/cheese tacos. Beans tasted a bit off. Only good thing out of it was the Sweet Tea. Going back, doubtful.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 AM

915 posts, read 1,905,986 times
Bliss- very nice space and they allow corkage ($20). food was very good but unimaginative. contemporary food for the 1990's. Everything is much better than Silo, but that is not saying too much. Crowd was surprisingly older (55++) for the neighborhood.

Entrees hovered around $30. They claimed charcuterie was hand sliced, but I watched them use a hand powered deli slicer. That is not hand sliced. They also claimed to have a 1lb Japanese wagyu steak on special for $85. I had to call them on the absurdity of that, but the waiter maintained it was not domestically raised wagyu, but actual Japanese import. If you insist, we ordered the steak to be split by 3 of us w/ whatever sides the chef wanted to serve. It was definitely a high quality prime and quite tasty, but not remotely close to actual Kobe (nor would it have been served in the manner it was if the real deal). All the fuss aside, the steak delivered for its price.

Service was friendly and attentive. Many were poached from Weisman restaurants. Dinner can be ordered from the tiny bar by the door.

I will definitely go back, but i'm in no rush to do so. Food 3.5, Service 3.7, Space 3.8
This is definitely a "play it safe" kind of place. I hope they succeed.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM

487 posts, read 992,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Bliss- very nice space and they allow corkage ($20). food was very good but unimaginative. contemporary food for the 1990's. Everything is much better than Silo, but that is not saying too much. Crowd was surprisingly older (55++) for the neighborhood.

Entrees hovered around $30. They claimed charcuterie was hand sliced, but I watched them use a hand powered deli slicer. That is not hand sliced. They also claimed to have a 1lb Japanese wagyu steak on special for $85. I had to call them on the absurdity of that, but the waiter maintained it was not domestically raised wagyu, but actual Japanese import. If you insist, we ordered the steak to be split by 3 of us w/ whatever sides the chef wanted to serve. It was definitely a high quality prime and quite tasty, but not remotely close to actual Kobe (nor would it have been served in the manner it was if the real deal). All the fuss aside, the steak delivered for its price.

Service was friendly and attentive. Many were poached from Weisman restaurants. Dinner can be ordered from the tiny bar by the door.

I will definitely go back, but i'm in no rush to do so. Food 3.5, Service 3.7, Space 3.8
This is definitely a "play it safe" kind of place. I hope they succeed.
Is that the restaurant on Presa street? Is your rating out of four or five?
thanks for the detailed review.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM

915 posts, read 1,905,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Is that the restaurant on Presa street? Is your rating out of four or five?
thanks for the detailed review.
It is on S Presa: Food is Bliss.

My review was out of 4 and probably a little too generous across the board, but it factors in they are open less than 2 weeks at the time.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,824,694 times
Bliss will find it's footing. They have a great culinary pedigree, unlike Feast (also in Southtown), who was started by a person with no knowledge of the restaurant biz and truly bad interior design.

What, me opinionated?

Funny/sad they BS'ed about it being Kobe. One pound of real Kobe would a) be so much more expensive and, b) be like eating pure sticks of cooked butter. It would literally make someone sick after that much meat. I too have spent considerable time in Asia and have had the real deal.

Sustenio at Eilan, while falling back onto Pyles's mainstay dishes, is also an excellent new choice for those in SA who want some originality.

Sustenio in Éilan Hotel Resort - Northwest Side - San Antonio | Urbanspoon

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio