Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

I assume that to use Boxee, ZeeVee or ROKU-HD box you need a super fast Internet connection, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I assume that to use Boxee, ZeeVee or ROKU-HD box you need a super fast Internet connection, right?
From what I've heard for ROKU-HD, it takes 5 Mbps to deliver HD-quality video. 1.5 Mbps would be adequate, but the picture would not be HD at that connection speed.

I don't know about the other devices, but presumably the required speeds would be in the same range.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
ged is correcto. I'd recommend a pretty speedy connection if you want to ensure a smooth pic, good audio and the like. I'm running about 30mbps down on a wireless-N network, but due to several other devices pulling from the router (two DirecTV boxes, two laptops, a Wii), it all depends on how much traffic I've got going at once.

Only had a slowdown or two so far. Roku has, mostly, been perfect.

BN

Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Hmmm... I would like to find out more about that.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
That's exactly at the heart of Time Warner's move awhile back to start charging for bandwidth. They are fully aware that their days as a content provider are numbered. They won't go down without a fight, and neither will AT&T.
I agree!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hmmm... I would like to find out more about that.
Boxee
ZvBoxâ„¢ 150 - HD Video Distribution Made Easy | ZeeVee.com - This is the unit I have. It's awesome; I basically put a small little device on my main cable box inside the house so I'm able to have my own Zee Vee channel (usually 125) broadcasted from my PC. The picture and sound are awesome and even more awesome, lol if you upgrade your computers graphics card.
Roku Digital Video Player | Watch Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand and MLB.TV on Roku Player - This is the one BN has.

ROKU caught my interest but I like the ZeeVee because it has a interface and it has tons more channels (ABC, CBS, CNN, Netflix, the list goes on.
Amazon has the best deal on it: Amazon.com: ZeeVee ZvBox: Electronics
I love recommending this unit! There's videos on the Amazon link so you can see how it works.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM

443 posts, read 954,788 times
While we're on the topic of Time Warner, anyone else here subscribing to their basic plan and discovering that the HD line-up is changing about every three weeks? I have the option of labeling the channels, but since I have to constantly re-scan it isn't worth the effort. I've lost count of which channels I had, and suddenly discover I no longer have.

In all the years I've been around, that company has been the most unprofessional, and downright deceitful I've had to deal with. It's obvious they are trying to force me into getting an HD package. Their only "deals" require me to get internet, cable and phone service. To top things off, speeds are all over the place now, especially when connecting on the west coast.

I've had them flat out lie to me twice about connectivity issues, saying that no one else around me was having any problems. Come to find out, neighbors were also having their service drop. When they wanted to change my modem out, I ended up with 4 trucks here trying to figure out why the modem kept freezing. Finally, one guy came out who was willing to try the modem they use for their IP phone. It worked. This was after three prior modems, new cable being ran from the pole, and replacing all my connectors.

I'm not even going to recount my three month's worth of angst when I was in an apartment.

And what do I get for my being a loyal customer from back in their beta testing days? I'm paying a whopping $53 a month for a 3 meg connection which drops to half when I connect to Washington and a few other places. I used to call up and complain, and they'd drop the price for awhile. Now, I call and only get offered a deal if I sign my life away and commit to them providing three services. I always ask them, "So, how am I supposed to contact you if my cable goes down?".

I'd switch to AT&T, but I'm still mad at them for the way they treated me when I was leasing two T1s from them. I was constantly getting woken up in the middle of the night because the network was down. We were located not more than 100 yards from where they had brought in fiber optic. I asked the repairman why they didn't connect us. He tells me "off the record" that it was because we weren't getting our internet access from them. I'm cutting them monthly checks for $5,600 and their whining because we're not getting access through them?? pffft.....

I was wrong, both of those companies have been horrendous, and unprofessional to deal with.

Thank you, I feel better now.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Whew. Free at last! I cancelled my TW today after spending a couple of days getting to know and love Clear. Say what you will about Clear, but so far it's been lightning fast. I pay $55 a month ($65.79 after lease and fees), and have home and mobile internet. No more landline for telemarketers to call, no more 400-channel lineup with NOTHING on, and good-bye $180 a month bill. I did have a $60 cancellation fee but it's worth it to me to be done with them.

Between hulu, netflix ($9.72 a month), and all the DVD's I already own, I'm good to go.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Whew. Free at last! I cancelled my TW today after spending a couple of days getting to know and love Clear. Say what you will about Clear, but so far it's been lightning fast. I pay $55 a month ($65.79 after lease and fees), and have home and mobile internet. No more landline for telemarketers to call, no more 400-channel lineup with NOTHING on, and good-bye $180 a month bill. I did have a $60 cancellation fee but it's worth it to me to be done with them.

Between hulu, netflix ($9.72 a month), and all the DVD's I already own, I'm good to go.
Congrats on your newfound freedom! I don't miss cable with all the options out there.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
Bill went up again this month. Now I gotta call..ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio