Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Information on moving to San Diego, housing and rental prices, property taxes, air noise, traffic and commute, pollution, overcrowding, clean water, long lines, beach homes, vacation home

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 AM

848 posts, read 2,128,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_guy110 View Post
I would agree about Imperial Beach but thats just because it borders Mexico and isn't a desirable area to live, P.B., Mission Beach and Ocean Beach are not in "rich" neighborhoods so they are diverse places, I don't know what you mean that they are "not right", if you mean that they don't have a tropical feel (California isn't tropical, there aren't palm trees on most of the beaches, I think its funny when people come here here thinking it will be just like Florida or Hawaii) and that there is a mix of people then you are right but if you go north to La Jolla and other beaches there are a lot of nice beaches, you can find whatever it is you are looking for in a beach, if you just don't like the beaches in California then why move here in the first place?
If you read the first line of my original response to seashell, you will see why my wife and I moved to SoCal. It had really little to do with beaches.

To answer your query, what's not "right" about many San Diego area city beaches...is the unseen nastiness that can have unfortunate consequences on the unwary swimmer. Didn't have to read about it...but I just kind of knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 12:02 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,941,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post

To answer your query, what's not "right" about many San Diego area city beaches...is the unseen nastiness that can have unfortunate consequences on the unwary swimmer. Didn't have to read about it...but I just kind of knew.

Could you elaborate on some details here ?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 PM

57 posts, read 197,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Could you elaborate on some details here ?
I think he's talking about the stingrays?

I guess it's just natural "sour grapes" for people to complain about how terrible life is in SoCal if they can't make it here. It's tempting to disparage them for it, but above all I feel pity.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:25 AM

470 posts, read 1,708,469 times
I grew up in San Diego (University City), and lived there for for thirty years. It breaks my heart that I'll probably never be able to come home.

I keep looking for a way.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 AM

48 posts, read 188,537 times
I agree with seashell's list. The list can be applied to all of Southern California. California is perception vs reality. The movie industry has exported the view that California is the "it" place. In reality it is not. The weather may be nice with polluted beaches, dirty air and overcrowding but it is great. Oh yeah, right?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 28,481 times
I 100% agree with Seashell. I was born and raised in San Diego, and everything Seashell said is true.

I escaped that wretched city 7 months ago, and now live in a beautiful, clean wonderful city in hte Mid-West. I live in a lovely house that cost $150,000...the same house in a similar upper middle-class neighborhood in San Diego would cost at least $700,000.

I'll never go back to San Diego again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego