Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,598 times

Advertisements

Stay away from the coast. The marine layer will drive you bonkers ... guaranteed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
I recommend finding a map of San Diego neighborhoods online, and search the areas you might consider on SD craigslist housing:

san diego apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

san diego rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

And perhaps instead of being a men's barber, you might switch to cutting women's hair?

I'm guessing you'd make better tips, and find more opportunities for work?

Check Craigslist again under jobs:

san diego salon/spa/fitness jobs classifieds - craigslist

Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
And it is about hype. It's not about surfing. Somebody moving from Texas probably has a picture of what San Diego is or is not. Moving from Texas to Escondido is probably not what they had in mind.
But the "hot" summer weather in Escondido is much better than the weather just about anywhere in TX...and that was the point. I'm sure most Texans (and even folks from places farther north) would find people complaining about the heat in Escondido to be laughable.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-29-2013 at 12:03 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Not caring about the money, in a high COL place like San Diego, is a short-cut to becoming homeless. If you really don't want to have to care about money, find a low COL place.
I second this...When you live in a low cost place like upstate NY, you almost certainly take your low COL for granted. As others have said, SD has lowish prevailing pay and a high COL...it definitely adds a lot of stress to life, especially if you're living at the area's median income or lower.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
food wont be a problem, its just SHELTER.. always way over priced.
Honestly, I think you'd be better off somewhere in Florida or Arizona than SD. You'll get your warm weather and would actually be able to afford to live in those places without the stress of the high COL (cost of living) that SD brings.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Honestly, I think you'd be better off somewhere in Florida or Arizona than SD. You'll get your warm weather and would actually be able to afford to live in those places without the stress of the high COL (cost of living) that SD brings.
I do not think SD's cost of living is that much higher than other major cities, and in some ways it is less.

Since the OP is from NY, he already lives in a state with a very high cost of living, so SD will not be that different for him.

Yes houses in SD can be relatively expensive (300K and up) when compared to a small city located in the middle of nowhere. But why would you want to live in the middle of nowhere?

Condos can be found here in the 100K+ range. You can also rent a 1BR apt for around 1K a month.

Property taxes in SD are around 1.2% per year. In other states, they can be a lot higher!

My car insurance here is dirt cheap, and I have full coverage with a large well known company.

Since our year round weather is so nice, I don't have to spend money on heating or A/C, so it saves on utilities.

Food can be purchased cheaply from Mexican and Asian markets, which we have an abundance of in SD. Also check the weekly sale ads at local supermarkets, and you can save even more.

If SD prices were so unaffordable, how do we manage to have so many middle-class residents living here? I'm in Clairemont, which is just a few miles from the coast, and we have lots of middle-class residents in this neighborhood.

I highly recommend the OP give SD a try! It is an outdoor paradise, filled with beautiful beaches and scenic landscapes!

If good weather is what the OP desires, then this is the place! No city in the entire U.S. has better year round weather than SD. Our coastal temps remain between around 50F - 80F during most of the year. It practically never drops below the high 30s, even during the middle of winter. We get sunshine for the vast majority of the year. We get very little rain.

Last edited by RD5050; 04-29-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times
San Diego has one of the worst COL to Salary/wage ratios in the country. This is one reason that many either work more than one job and basically take no time off to really enjoy the beaches, etc. or choose to live in So. Riverside County (i.e. Temecula, Murrieta area) and commute to work. I do that myself, living with friends and sharing expenses.

If the OP really wants San Diego it is doable IF he's willing to make sacrifices and probably find roommates to share with. And if he's willing to live in the relatively less expensive areas such as El Cajon, Linda Vista, or Escondido. Of course that could mean higher transportation costs. And if he'd be using public transportation, that would also have to be factored in as far as where to live would go.

Most are not saying to not do it, just to do your homework and make the choice yes or no based on practical considerations.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,334 times
Check out other states that offer better weather but think twice maybe three times before moving to California! Horrible place to live. Been here 3 yrs and leaving soon, can't wait. The draw of weather is not all it's cracked to be, super hot in the valley areas, if you can afford to live in the richest areas then you will have the better weather too.
Californians are as rude as new Yorkers so you''ll feel at home in that department. But people who want to live in friendly communities with safe neighborhoods and good schools DON'T Live in California. Those of us who can are leaving and hope the state falls into the ocean.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,789 times
We live in a very safe, friendly community with excellent schools, nice affordable housing and great weather.

California has many very nice, safe cities with friendly people.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM

99 posts, read 162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
We live in a very safe, friendly community with excellent schools, nice affordable housing and great weather.

California has many very nice, safe cities with friendly people.
Morning JohnSoCal....Still crunching numbers for the possible move to Murrieta/Temecula from Iowa..I noticed apt rents are around $100 less in Murrieta vs Temecula so thinking more about Murrieta...Quick ? what are your elec/heating costs per month? Asking because friends here say I can't afford to live in Calif..($30,000 salary) but I say with some trade offs I should be ok....I just cant handle the weather any longer..I live a simply life here and probably live the same way out West..only no shoveling snow in -10degree....hard for a 59yr ...Only wanting to rent..no interest in buying..no need to buy..just myself...Sorry for constant questions but my friends keep me second guessing myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego